New RAV4?

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about a new RAV4 ... I was at Motorama 4x4xMore for the Toyota Car Club of Queensland meeting tonight, and in their showroom was a RAV4, silver with factory alloys and a bonnet scoop. Not just added on, but moulded into the bonnet, similar to the turbo diesel Prados.

We were able to pop the bonnet for a look-see, but it was all standard RAV4 2.4 litre engine, no turbo, diesel or combination of both, so it appears to be for looks only. There were no other badges or anything out of the ordinary to identify it.

Any ideas?

a bonnet scoop.  Not just added on, but moulded into the bonnet, similar to the turbo diesel Prados.

We were able to pop the bonnet for a look-see, but it was all standard RAV4 2.4 litre engine, no turbo, diesel or combination of both, so it appears to be for looks only. 

Any ideas?

I think the new Hilux has something similar too, bonnet scoop on non turbo models...

looks tough though

a bonnet scoop.  Not just added on, but moulded into the bonnet, similar to the turbo diesel Prados.

We were able to pop the bonnet for a look-see, but it was all standard RAV4 2.4 litre engine, no turbo, diesel or combination of both, so it appears to be for looks only. 

Any ideas?

I think the new Hilux has something similar too, bonnet scoop on non turbo models...

looks tough though

You might be right, I didn't take a lot of notice when I looked at the Hilux on Saturday, but I'm pretty sure that the scoops are only on the turbo-diesels, the petrol models are just plain.

Wouldn't mind taking a 4.0 V6 model for a run, if it were available I'd just take a base single cab-chassis, pre-body, as light as possible.

Mmmmm .... donuts! B)

Your prayers have been answered... this is the first Hilux model to come with the V6 in the 4x2 single cab :)

I'm sure in a bid to raise sales of this model, but my cousin has the older ('89 model I think) 4x2 single cab with a canopy and I was amased by how good the little 2.4L goes with that light weight, plus the space in the tray under the canopy is amazing compared to the twin cab.

Edited by Blue_Stivo

looks tough though

One thing I forgot to mention is the nature of it ... the one on the Hilux looks added on, like many turbo-diesels are (Mitsubishi Pajero and Triton are two examples).

The one on the RAV4 was much more integrated, much like the scoop on the Mini Cooper S.

Here are a pic of the new Hilux, and the Cooper S to demonstrate:

Its most likely the bonnet of the overseas turbo diesel models

Now I'm a little confused ... as blondes tend to be!

I think Screaminrolla is correct, I just don't remember it being as high above the normal bonnet line ... anyway, it was all costmetic, nothing to show for it underneath, so I guess some RAV4 fans will get a hold of it to stand out a bit.

It does look good, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just moved from a RAV4 to a corolla sportivo last week, there are a number of very busy RAV4 online communities (including www.rav4world.com and www.rav4oz.com) and rumours about about the NEXT model of RAV. An article was published in MOTOR last year about them dropping the 3door and making the 5door larger, as Subaru has done with the Forrester, and Mazda Tribute and others. Talk of a new 4wd just smaller than the RAV to fill the gap of the terminated 3door.

The bonnet scooped RAVs aren't a new model, they're a runout package, as the above article mentioned. I'm just posting this info for those who may be interested in the RAV. One last thing is a link that points to a V6 option mid next year: FLEET DEALER UPCOMING MODEL PAGE