changing gauge cluster in a 96 toyota camry vienta

sikwitit

hi everybody i need some information i want to change the gauge cluster in the camry to a cluster from a nissan skyline gtt or mr2 or some digital gauges i seen in autobarn i hate the camry cluster so boring dont like it at all want to change it if anyone noes if it can be done and who can do it please give me info and a contact number.

post-11189-1244250150_thumb.jpg

Dunno about fitting ones in from other cars, but you can probably find out...jus head to a junk yard and compare sizes and bolt holes. An alternative would be to get reverse glow gauges, they look pretty nice once u put them in...only down side is that mph are on the outside if u dont mind that then i reckon u should go for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-96-TOYOT...sQ5fAccessories

heres a link from a quick search on ebay on "reverse glow gauges camry 96" hope this helps :D

hi everybody i need some information i want to change the gauge cluster in the camry to a cluster from a nissan skyline gtt or mr2 or some digital gauges i seen in autobarn i hate the camry cluster so boring dont like it at all want to change it if anyone noes if it can be done and who can do it please give me info and a contact number.

post-11189-1244250150_thumb.jpg

Won't work from a different make (i.e. Nissan) as the speedo pickup would be different, tacho would be way of if it even fitted and the same goes with fuel level sender. MR2 won't work, on a basic level as they used a different engine and transmission(hence the pickups for the speedo and tacho would be different already). The only way to change the cluster is if they digital gauge option for the Vienta and you could find one, it would be possible to do the swap. However, some minor changes will have to be made. That and aftermarket pod gauges.

E.g. I know for gen 2 Camry's, they had a digital cluster, but swapping them required you to change the fuel pump and sender and the rheostat(dim/brightness for dash lights) and the wiring harness at the back of the cluster was different as well, so you needed to do some soldering.

Im pretty sure its a straight swap, these things fit over your current spedo, so as long as the scale starts at the same place then it should just be a direct swap. To install them you actually have to ground it and give it some power (12V) and make a place for the switch. Heres a link on the installation instructions

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748373/6

Note this is for GEN4 camry but the instructions should still apply to yours :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Gen4 set of the el glows.... there nice and 10 times better then the stocko

if you can get the gauge faces on without removing the needles then no configurations needed.

if you have to remove the needle try and secure the needle shaft, in the motor there is flat piece of metal coiled up like a spring. and the only thing stoping it from unravelling is the little pin at 0 km that stops the needle. It looks like its all at a certain pressure so if it unravels itself it may put your gauge out.

I assume this maybe the case i could be wrong.

Another thing is the fuel gauge is a non returning gauge or named something like that (on the gen 4) I read somewhere that you should try and avoid moving this needle as it may put ya gauge out........ how true it is im not sure. but i moved mine accidentally and then tryed to put it back to the position i remembered it in. When i turned the car on it didnt move so either i got the spot right or it is now out. :huh:

Edited by BlindEyeSight

hmmm 300 do they do a complete replacement or just put the elglow as a backing behind the gauges ??

If its a custom design be alright.

There was a sight that showed how to do ya own custom design using PS and a scanner. then overlay that onto the elglow and walla instant bling :P .... i forget wat sight it is. Showed ya how to do all sorts of DIY things to ya toyota.