Polishing new car

ss--ss

I agree with Kesawi. How long the finish lasts is greatly determined by the environment it is exposed to.

The worse the exposure is, the shorter the time period will be before you need to redo the process.

In saying this, the dealer's paint protection is subject to the same predicament, so anyone (in my opinion), saying that paint protection is a "once-off" application that will not need any further treatment is incorrect.

My Nan had a VP Commodore for about 10 years and it had every treatment possible and when my pop was alive he used to do everything to make sure it looked it's best... living across from the sea made it high maintenance but at the end of the day im preety sure he regretted having the paint protection placed on it. Happy ending , nan sold the VP to a dealer and got a huge price for it as a trade because of the condition and bought herself an 02 Corolla!

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my Kluger for a month, I was talked into getting the Paint protection.

I love my cars to look their best, but I still wanted to use it as it was made for, going off road and in the bush.

I just got rid of my BA ford I bought from brand new, not a scratch on it, but I still went off road for my wild life photography. This is why I got the Kluger suppose to be built for minor off roads.

Anyway I went to the same area over Xmas as I had taken the ford, no scratches on her. I went on the same tracks and the Black Kluger is scratched to pieces.

Is this coverable by the warranty on th eproduct and can I use any of the Marquie products, being black and a high shine shows up badly.

Going into Toyota tomorrow to see what they say.

Peter

I think you will find that there is no warranty on the paint protection to cover scratches - part of the reason it is so pointless!

Personally I would clay bar/polish/wax the car to get rid of the scratches (which will also get rid of the "paint protection") and forget you ever had it. A decent wax will protect it just as well as the rubbish that Toyota uses anyway...

Good luck with Toyota though - they may surprise you!

Depends whether the scratch is through the clear coat or not. I believe the general rule is, if you can feel it with your finger nail then it is through the clear coat. If it isn't through the clear coat you could try something like ScratchX 2.0. If that doesn't work you'd need to get someone to repair it.

I've seen reports on other forums that car manufacturers have switched to more environmentally friendly paints, which are more scratch sensitive (Hence why your BA falcon may not have scratched). I don't know whether this is true of the Kluger.

I have had my Kluger for a month, I was talked into getting the Paint protection.

I love my cars to look their best, but I still wanted to use it as it was made for, going off road and in the bush.

I just got rid of my BA ford I bought from brand new, not a scratch on it, but I still went off road for my wild life photography. This is why I got the Kluger suppose to be built for minor off roads.

Anyway I went to the same area over Xmas as I had taken the ford, no scratches on her. I went on the same tracks and the Black Kluger is scratched to pieces.

Is this coverable by the warranty on th eproduct and can I use any of the Marquie products, being black and a high shine shows up badly.

Going into Toyota tomorrow to see what they say.

Peter

Oh, no....that's the last thing you want to see on your 4 week old car.

It will be interesting to hear what Toyota reply with, however I agree that the paint protection is unlikely to cover such things as scratches.

If there is nothing Toyota can do, I would perhaps speak with a specialty car detailing place and see what they can offer/suggest.

(which may mean they need to see the car).

If the scratches are minor, you should be able to clay the car, use a product like ScratchX to remove the scratches, then polish and wax the car.

If the scratches are not minor, it may be best to let an expert detailer take care of it for you....as buffing cars and using cutting compounds etc. can be risky if you don't know what you're doing (and can make things worse).

Suffice to say that no matter what the outcome is, this can happen again. Paint protection or waxing your car really well will help protect the paint from the elements and any airborne contaminants but nothing will stop scratches occuring (particularly when off-road).

Hope it ends well...let us know what happens.