Recovery tow points

myfishingtruck

Just reading through the USA site and someone posted a question about recovery tow points. Seems the USA ones have a tow hook in the toolkit that you screw into the front bumper.

Do they have them in the Aust versions? Mine hasnt arrived yet so i cant check. I ordered a tow bar so i can have the flexibility to tow something if i want, but also as a handy rear recovery point if needed sometime.

Lots of cars these days have the screw in tow points through the front bumper. The Kluger DOES have these as well and actually has one on each side compared with sedans that only have just one.

You can clearly see their position in this photo:

2007toyotakluger2.jpg

Lots of cars these days have the screw in tow points through the front bumper. The Kluger DOES have these as well and actually has one on each side compared with sedans that only have just one.

You can clearly see their position in this photo:

The following link is information on the towing eyelets from the US manual:

http://sumbiz03.home.comcast.net/~sumbiz03/5-01Towing.pdf

Key points are:

• Should only be used on hard surface roads.
  • Avoid sudden starts or erratic driving maneuvers which place excessive stress on the emergency towing eyelets and the cables or chains.

I imagine the Australian manual would be pretty similar (it's too cold outside for me to go down to the car and check). Based on the details in the manual, I would suggest that they are not rated recovery points. There are also two points on the rear, that could also be recovery points, but are most likely tie down points, as the steel in the area is very light.

I did some rough numbers on the various towing/hold down points in a post on the Toyota Nation Forum. The size and thicknesses of the materials at these locations don't appear to have the necessary load capacities to work as recovery points.

thanks guys

so if you get stuck in the mud in your kluger, how do you get towed out? backwards is ok with the toebar, but forwards?

Fit an aftermarket recovery point if the chassis has a strong enough position. I was going to look into this but never got around to it.

There is a front point for the hook behind a plastic square in the front bumper but if you have the nudge bar fitted it is covered up by the bar so not sure what to do in that instance

the plastic square pops out and you screw the hook in to the thread

Twiggy

There is a front point for the hook behind a plastic square in the front bumper but if you have the nudge bar fitted it is covered up by the bar so not sure what to do in that instance

I believe the nudge bar may be attached through these points. There is a corresponding removable patch on the front plastic cover of the nudge bar which I think is the tow point. Haven't ever taken it off to have a look.

I still wouldn't rely on it as a recovery point.

I believe the nudge bar may be attached through these points. There is a corresponding removable patch on the front plastic cover of the nudge bar which I think is the tow point. Haven't ever taken it off to have a look.

I still wouldn't rely on it as a recovery point.

I have been told by the AWD club and Toyota Mechanic not to use the screw in points!

And Yes the emergency towing eyelets can be screwed into the nudge bar mounts

I have never had to get pulled out and not looking forward to it as I have also been told I don't own any real 4WD's....which is true to a point more Luxury Performance than off road, I look at it as a % you use the car off road to it being on road for most it would be very luck to be 5%

If it worries you go and get some professionally fitted from ARB or the like

Edited by PC XT

so the screw in points are only good for being towed on a road if you break down, but no good for recovery from the mud or sand.

has anyone out there fitted a recovery point? Either front or rear?

Without them I'd be a little bit afraid to venture onto the sand

so the screw in points are only good for being towed on a road if you break down, but no good for recovery from the mud or sand.

has anyone out there fitted a recovery point? Either front or rear?

Without them I'd be a little bit afraid to venture onto the sand

If you break down on the road call a tilt tray never tow your car, the eyelets are for emergency times only basically not to rely on for continual use, you will be fine on sand but go with some one who is experienced if you are not

Edited by PC XT