Considering Buying a 5th gen Camry Sportivo

Newbie1987

Hey guys,

I'm new to Toyotas, I recently sold my Nissan Pulsar and I'm interested in buying the V6 Sportivo - not the current shape but the previous one. My question is, how do the 4cyl and 6cyl fair in terms of fuel consumption? I'm buying this vehicle whilst considering its safety attributes very highly....however, i'm unsure about how much fuel they consume - both 4cyl and 6cyl. I realise that in real life, the advertised fuel consumption averages are highly distorted!

Any help in regards to how much fuel your car uses would be highly appreciated....also pls specify whether you have the 3.0l or 2.4l engine?

CHeers

Riz - First post! :yahoo:

From memory... around a 70L tank? the 1MZFE 3.0L engine should get you around 550-600km a tank... 650km on main roads and stuff.

Each engine's different really... the better they're looked after, the more you'll get outta it.

The V6s love 98 octane fuel... quite noticeable after a couple of tanks.

As long as you run some fuel system cleaner, keep the tyres pumped up and keep the car maintained, then you should be good for 600km a tank.

Can't comment too much on the 2AZs unfortunately.

Hi Riz,

We are proud owners of a V6 Gen 5.5 Sportivo, and we get no less than 600klm per tank, no mater how we drive it. Out on the highways, which we do a lot we get beter than that.

I am almost certian, if it is safety that you want the V6 has more air bags than the 4 cylinder does. there are other difference too, like 6 stack cd player.

If you live in the country then go for the V6, if you only drive in town then it may not mater.

And yes it does like then 98 octaine fuel.

Cheers Dazz

Hey guys,

I'm new to Toyotas, I recently sold my Nissan Pulsar and I'm interested in buying the V6 Sportivo - not the current shape but the previous one. My question is, how do the 4cyl and 6cyl fair in terms of fuel consumption? I'm buying this vehicle whilst considering its safety attributes very highly....however, i'm unsure about how much fuel they consume - both 4cyl and 6cyl. I realise that in real life, the advertised fuel consumption averages are highly distorted!

Any help in regards to how much fuel your car uses would be highly appreciated....also pls specify whether you have the 3.0l or 2.4l engine?

CHeers

Riz - First post! :yahoo:

Yeah, i was looking at the toyota sportivo, I test drove a 3.0l model and I was impressed with how smooth the vehicle was and how quiet the ride was. I'll be driving the car mostly on the freeway and back home, with the occassional drive to the city every couple of weeks. Are there any inherent "issues" with the car that you've found whilst owning it? By the way, I drove a 5th gen sportivo - the front and back look slightly different to yours I think...i don't think it should make a difference - also, it had a cassette player and no 6-stack :(

I only have the 4cly myself, I get around 8.5-9.0 L/per 100kms,(A/C on) and I tend to have a heavy right foot from time to time. The consumption of the v6 on average would be no more that 1 maybe 2 L at most in difference, in fact in some cases it maybe better.

The equipment leave on the V6 Sportivo is a bit better; you get two side air bags (Lumber) in addition to the 4cly only having two front and seat belt pre tensioners.

You also get a trip computer and CD/cassette (which no one would use now anyway) with the Gen 5 or a 6 stacker with the gen 5.5. (as opposed to just cd with the 4 Cyl)

Since you want a Sportivo you would probably be best off with the V6 overall.

Edited by mbruce

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm planning on looking at a couple more toyota camrys tomorrow....it's such a hard decision from tossing up between the 3.0l and 2.4l model....

by the way.....how does the 2.4l model feel to drive mbruce? do you feel like the power it produces is enough?

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm planning on looking at a couple more toyota camrys tomorrow....it's such a hard decision from tossing up between the 3.0l and 2.4l model....

by the way.....how does the 2.4l model feel to drive mbruce? do you feel like the power it produces is enough?

with how much power the chassis can demand when being thrown around, the 4 cyl is a bit on the weak side.

it's a very smooth engine in every day driving, but the response and torque from the engine isnt worth writing home about. the v6 handles the chassis much better, but the manual is better than the auto.

i've got an auto gen 5.5 v6 sportivo, and sometimes the gear ratios of the auto are frustrating. at least in the manual you can stick with gears properly and get smooth power and torque curves from any rpm. but unfortunately, manual v6 sportivos are pretty hard to come by!

the v6 gen 5.5 sportivo is a very good all round package, but if you prefer an auto and want performance and luxury, maybe look into an azura?

with how much power the chassis can demand when being thrown around, the 4 cyl is a bit on the weak side.

it's a very smooth engine in every day driving, but the response and torque from the engine isnt worth writing home about. the v6 handles the chassis much better, but the manual is better than the auto.

i've got an auto gen 5.5 v6 sportivo, and sometimes the gear ratios of the auto are frustrating. at least in the manual you can stick with gears properly and get smooth power and torque curves from any rpm. but unfortunately, manual v6 sportivos are pretty hard to come by!

the v6 gen 5.5 sportivo is a very good all round package, but if you prefer an auto and want performance and luxury, maybe look into an azura?

how does your camry do on fuel lateralus?

i always run mine on shell v-power and use the nulon total fuel system cleaner every 5000km. during the week i drive to and from the train station, which is about 4km. i average about 11.5l/100km but that includes all the cold starts of a morning, etc.

if i go for a cruise on highways, etc. i can get it down to around 8.9l/100km. my record on one tank is almost 700km (country driving). city driving i get around 550km

Well I would like more power, but it is certainly more than sufficient for just daily driving. But when you want to put the foot down it can leave a bit to be desired, especially from a standing start. Mine is an auto, but a manual 4cy would be better, so that maybe something to consider if you can find one.

Well I would like more power, but it is certainly more than sufficient for just daily driving. But when you want to put the foot down it can leave a bit to be desired, especially from a standing start. Mine is an auto, but a manual 4cy would be better, so that maybe something to consider if you can find one.

i suppose that if you're buying second hand, you have to take whats out there, ie cant pick and choose a V6 or 4 cyl. just see what presents a good buy and go with that. when this model was the current shape, we had 6 of these at work, combination of 4 cyl and V6. the V6 is smoother and more powerful, but after driving around in both for about 2 years, it really didnt matter if it was a v6 or 4 cyl when i was driving around. 4 cyl is adequate, v6 is better, but not miles better.

the v6 had a trip computer, and coz my work involves alot of stop start and idle driving and the car is shared around, we averaged about 16-17 litres per 100km, which is very high, but it wouldnt be like that for everyday driving. however, my gf has a v6 one, and on the highway, with 2ppl in the car, it did 7.5 litres per 100km. we did a long 1600km with the two of us and a full load in the boot and back seats, and consistantly avg 9.2ltr per 100km on the highways. i assume it is higher than the 7.5ltrs due to the added weight.

manuals are hard to come by, but would expect they would be cheaper as they are harder to resell. ie not everyone has a manual licence, or if they do, prefer auto.

hey guys, i had a look at one today and I'm pretty keen on it...however it comes with 17in toyota alloy wheels as opposed to the 16in original wheels - these wheels have 6 spokes...i'm just extremely pedantic since it's a lot of money...this is a link to the vehicle on carsales...let me know what you think...also I called toyota - the original grill costs $165...is it just a clip-on application?

http://tiny.cc/zjfsU

yep, toyota made several sports accessories for the camry. they started with the gen 4 sportivo gtp body kit, then expanded their range with gen 5 camry. they just werent overly popular sheerly due to the market traditionally interested in camrys (familys, etc), and they werent interested in spending extra money to make it unique or sportier looking.

thus, toyota ceased supplying these parts and are therefore extremely hard to find. they made the 17" wheels, free-flowing mufflers, sports grilles, high rise racing style spoilers, etc.

you can tell its genuine because its properly colour coded, all aftermarket ones have the chrome surround. and the genuine accessories funnily enough dont have the toyota logo on them, whereas aftermarket ones have a fake "RS" logo

yep, toyota made several sports accessories for the camry. they started with the gen 4 sportivo gtp body kit, then expanded their range with gen 5 camry. they just werent overly popular sheerly due to the market traditionally interested in camrys (familys, etc), and they werent interested in spending extra money to make it unique or sportier looking.

thus, toyota ceased supplying these parts and are therefore extremely hard to find. they made the 17" wheels, free-flowing mufflers, sports grilles, high rise racing style spoilers, etc.

you can tell its genuine because its properly colour coded, all aftermarket ones have the chrome surround. and the genuine accessories funnily enough dont have the toyota logo on them, whereas aftermarket ones have a fake "RS" logo

man, i had no idea...i'm going to check out the car with my girlfriend's dad on saturday...hopefully all goes well with that one. I had a look at it the other day by myself and the engine sounded kinda loud (compared to my old 1.6l pulsar everything sounds loud i guess!). Since you have the V6 sportivo, do you think there's anything I should be looking out for?

as with all fwd's, listen to clicks or squeaking from the front wheels as it can indicate the cv joints or the wheel hubs are on the way out. and obviously check that the service history is good too

the only issue i've ever had with mine is with the auto transmission, when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd gear at around 25km/h, theres a light clunk, and the shifts are generally hard and sudden (but not rough). if you hear that in this one, then dont worry. thats just one of the characteristics of the transmission and there isnt anything wrong with it, and its not doing damage at all.

i also had to replace the drivers side power window mirror under warranty when i bought it as it sounded like it was about to die.

ive heard of some problems with the drivers power seat adjustments and the motors being very weak and slow, and are expensive to replace (overheard a conversation in toyota spare parts, estimated around $3000 replacement). so make sure they slide smoothly and theres no surging from the motors

now ive sat here for about 10 minutes trying to think of other common problems or quirks, but i cant, haha. good luck mate

These Camrys are normally pretty rock solid... you'll get the issues that Lateralus said... maybe read up about others that use the 1MZFE engine too (Gen 4 Camrys and also the Solaras in the States). They know the 1MZs inside out over there as they were also put in the Gen 3s too.

the only issue i've ever had with mine is with the auto transmission, when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd gear at around 25km/h, theres a light clunk, and the shifts are generally hard and sudden (but not rough). if you hear that in this one, then dont worry. thats just one of the characteristics of the transmission and there isnt anything wrong with it, and its not doing damage at all.

I too notice that when the car is cool, the auto will hold in 3rd untill it warms up, then you will 'sort of' feel a clunk into 4th.

I do wish the gear ratios were a little more suited to over taking. I find that from 95k/h it will hold in 3rd and not respond as well as it should to get past the car. for 90 k/h it drops to 2nd and there is no stopping it, the car is over taken in no time.

I have driven the aurion (rented one for 3 months) and this has a nice box. So i guess there is one reason i would trade in my Gen 5.5 for the aurion. I just like the look of the Gen 5.5 though.

I thing, does the 4cl have climate control?

Dazz

Edited by Dazza6901

These Camrys are normally pretty rock solid... you'll get the issues that Lateralus said... maybe read up about others that use the 1MZFE engine too (Gen 4 Camrys and also the Solaras in the States). They know the 1MZs inside out over there as they were also put in the Gen 3s too.

one of our 6 camry gen 5.5 we had at work a few years ago had power seats. stopped working when it only have 1200km on the clock. the braking on the gen 5.5 didnt feel as sharp as the gen 5, so i told them, they said they used a brake metre and it was fine.

work admin are a bit slack on servicing the car. one car had 25000km on it and it had never been serviced since new!!!! and didnt have any problems. it wasnt until i mentioned it to them, they did something about it.

yep, but not in mp3 format

Unless you change it, you can pick up a 6 stack mp3 on ebay for about $100 - $150. Takes about 5 mins to change it over. I am sure with practice you could do it even quicker. All the plugs in the back are the same.

bad news guys.....he sent me a msg a few hours ago saying that someone gave him a deposit on the car :unsure:

Don't worry. Just keep on looking. Not all hope is lost.