stock airbox

My sisters Boyfriend just brought a 04 Corolla hatch back and when we replaced the air filter we noticed on the top there is a white plastic funnel??

Whats it for??

What happens if we take it out??

post-13841-1248513614_thumb.jpg

Curiosity: That funnel/splitter is much longer on the Facelift than pre-facelift.

Nothing against you, but I have to wonder why ppl see something on a stock car, and seek reasons to remove it, as if there would be some hidden performance increase in doing so.

It's just something I've noticed on this site (that drives me mad). I'm glad people can't easily open up their fuel tanks/sumps to then find a reason to remove those useless baffles in there. :rolleyes:

Gav.

Curiosity: That funnel/splitter is much longer on the Facelift than pre-facelift.

Nothing against you, but I have to wonder why ppl see something on a stock car, and seek reasons to remove it, as if there would be some hidden performance increase in doing so.

It's just something I've noticed on this site (that drives me mad). I'm glad people can't easily open up their fuel tanks/sumps to then find a reason to remove those useless baffles in there. :rolleyes:

Gav.

Excuse me Gav, didn't you remove the snorkel ???? <_<

Now what is that call now .... :huh:

:rolleyes:

Gav.

There was a recall to replace the funnel in the older corolla sportivos...

And about removing stuff. I dont do it but i see it as the poor mans research and development... Trial and error :D

Gav.

lol play nice guan :lol:

Gav.

Ahem... Removing the snorkel has an obvious and measurable performance benefit! The funnel inside the airbox however is another story.

To me that's like wondering why you put a washer on a bolt. I thought the distinction between performance/necessity was obvious...

Chicken: Would Toyota replace my shorter funnel with a longer one as part of a recall still?

Gav.

Chicken: Would Toyota replace my shorter funnel with a longer one as part of a recall still?

Gav.

you should have a recall sticker near the drivers door if it was done.

the recall replaced the old funnel (from DRF122R) with this (from bonbon)

Edited by chicken

I have the shorter one with the fin in the middle. This is the good one eh?

Gav.

yep, the sportivo recall was to improve performance to meet the sports car category. there's an old thread about it somewhere for more details

I have the shorter one with the fin in the middle. This is the good one eh?

Gav.

Yes. The dealers didn't always put the recall sticker in when it was done.

I'm not surprised if they didn't.

Gav.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm Back after being sick :(

I have the original White funnel in mine... and took it out sometime ago and was running the car fine for a while without it... then doing some research on here about it, i discovered it was best to leave it in there, so i put it back in :P

Evo

Gav.

:huh: :o boo! hiss! jeer!

Gav.

:huh: :o boo! hiss! jeer!

Does anyone know if you can buy the sort funnel (Sportivo type) from Toyota?