In Dash GPS for ZRE corolla

Pauly

I was after getting GPS in my car. And I was after a in dash GPs solution. I was looking at the genuine Toyota headunit, but the price Toyota Australia are asking is just crazy!

So I was wondering if there are any other headunit out there, that will fit the current Toyota corolla, pair via Bluetooth for the iPhone, and also work with the steering wheel audio controls on the ZRE corollas.

The big thing for me is making sure the headunit I get, is comparable with the Toyota steering wheel audio controls.

I have heard

people mention Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood, but there was no mention of if these work with the cars

steering wheel controls.

My last option I suppose is to get the geniuime Toyota GPS headunit off eBay. And install

it myself?

What are peoples thoughts?

Cheers.

Hey Pauly...check out the Pacific Accessory Corporation (PAC,swi jack) this is the module some of us used with our aftermarket h/units to keep our wheel controls...

Cheers Lee :)

i would be willing to bet a fair amount of money that an eclipse will work... considering they are the ones who make the factory hu...

Most decent GPS units have modules to use the stock controls - Remember Double Din units with GPS inbuilt are normally most manufactures top priced option.

My friend just got a Pioneer FBT900 instlalled and its mated with his steering wheel controls.

Another option is the Auspak unit which is plug and play

when reading the features list of any Headunit, make sure they make a mention of "OEM Steering control". this will be a wire (or two) that will come out of the HU. I have yet to install anything into a new ZRE, but if your in sydney and you need a hand, drop me a line

Thanks for the help guys.

I live in Melbourne, but thanks for the help.

Which Double DIN GPS Unit would people recommend for the ZRE?

I hear Eclipse are good. But I have no idea?

Do these GPS Units come with the latest Maps? or do I need to purchase that too?

Thanks for the help guys.

I live in Melbourne, but thanks for the help.

Which Double DIN GPS Unit would people recommend for the ZRE?

I hear Eclipse are good. But I have no idea?

Do these GPS Units come with the latest Maps? or do I need to purchase that too?

eclipse are epic for sound quality... so whichever one of their models that suits your budget/features you want i would recomend.

they should come with whatever maps are current, although upgrades usualy are not free.

is the bluetooth mic also located in the head unit like the stock ZRE 6 stacker with Bluetooth?

Or do I need to install a MiC somewhere in the car?

It comes with an external microphone with a pretty long lead to allow you to locate it wherever you need. Most places would be up near the rear view mirror, and if your car console has a factory mounting location for a phone microphone, you could mount it in that position...up to you.

Hey guys, I have made a thread in the Corolla Forum.

Because I have found this in my car:

img0188s.jpg

There is a vent in the map lights/sunglass holder on the corolla.

Now I know the MIC for the Stock Headunit is in the headunit itself.

I was wondering if I get a In Dash Unit with Bluetooth, the MIC's from what I gather are a separate thing,

Is that vent able to house the MIC? or is it a temperature sensor of some sort?

You can take a look at Eonon E1055, this unit is for TOYOTA COROLLA, has built in Bluetooth mic. Worth the money!

Seriously someone needs to block this guy quickly. Are the mods not noticing this?

This bot puzzles me a little. I'm wondering why it would it post up a link to a trailer for '(500) Days of Summer'. At least it has some taste though.

Just spoke to my local Toyota dealer (Nunawadding Toyota) in Melbourne.

Spoke to a guy in Pre Deliveries. He informed me that the little vent is indeed blank with nothing in there. It is left over from a bluetooth setup you can get in Japan.

When they fit the 'Genuine' Toyota GPS Unit, they dont put the MIC in there normally apparently. But he doesn't see any reason why you couldn't put it in there.

He also recommended I look at the Eclipse Units.

The only thing concerning me now, would be how long the MIC Cable is, and if it will reach!!! are the extension leads if need be?

Edited by Pauly

The only thing concerning me now, would be how long the MIC Cable is, and if it will reach!!! are the extension leads if need be?

Pauly

I have the mic mounted up in the console so it is plenty long enough to reach. I don't know the total length as I did not install it, but I'd reckon Eclipse would make them to fit all sorts of applications. I've even read about the mic on the same unit being installed up near the mirror in a Tundra in the US and they are a big rig.

Sweet! michaelweare where did you get your unit installed?

Are you in Melbourne?

Ive been quoted around the Low 2K Mark to get it installed (ranging from $2200 - $2400)

Are you in Melbourne?

Ive been quoted around the Low 2K Mark to get it installed (ranging from $2200 - $2400)

wow... that seems excessive... although i've allways done all my car audio myself... lee (1stkill) would have some idea as to how fair that sounds.

Are you in Melbourne?

Northfield Macgregor here in Brisbane did the install.

The RRP on the Eclipse AVN726EA is $2K, so $200-$400 for the job may be high, but you will be able to negotiate further by getting the iPod cable and rear view camera installed at the same time, and they can package it up. I did this and got a pretty sweet deal in the end. Obviously the more you get them to do (speakers, amps, etc), the better bargaining power you have.

The install would not be difficult if you wanted to do yourself, so it depends on the value to you that having someone else do the job for you is worth.

Are you in Melbourne?

wow... that seems excessive... although i've allways done all my car audio myself... lee (1stkill) would have some idea as to how fair that sounds.

AVN726EA the cheapest i've found is $1899 (inc.Ipod cable) + postage and should be no more than $200 max to fit,also about a $100-$150 for the facia kit to make it look pretty.

$2200-$2300 sounds about right...if you don't mind me asking Pauly,who is quoting you?

Also on this unit i've heard or read somewhere that the 1st AVN726EA out of production needed a firmware upgrade,no biggy you download it yourself,just wondering if this is still needed now they have been out a few months.Great unit has all the bells & whistles...

2wfti5u.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi guys..

Check this www.autogps.com.au. This has Bluetooth and all the other options. Suppotrs steerig wheel controls.

I bought the Aurion unit and works fine. All options are working and no prob. Super fast delivery arrived in 2 days.... these guys says Autobarn do the installation for $88 and I think that is a good price ... if you dont want to break your car.

Thanks

Troy

• 1 month later...

This info might be a bit old but i'm installing the AVN mentioned into a ZRE rolla with sub, speakers, amps, cap + awesomeness (that last one comes standard :P)

Click the link in my signature to follow the progress. I should be doing the AVN by the end of this month and some basic cabling