Eclipse AVN726EA for ZRE Corolla

Pauly

Hey guys,

I had a older thread, but I think I have found the GPS Unit I would like to get.

I have a 2008 Corolla Levin SX Hatch (that flying butress console).

I was after a GPS Unit for it, and after I found out the Genuine Toyota Unit (people seem to use the work 'Auspack' for these?), was around the $4000 mark or somewhere near there, I thought Toyota could go jump.

So Ive been reading up on how Eclipse headunits seem to go together with Toyotas very well. and taking a look on the Aussie Eclipse website they have the: AVN726EA

http://www.eclipse-web.com.au/Site/Product...be-3e5906103f0c

QUESTIONS:

- Will this fit into the current generation Corolla (ZRE) Double Din Headunit slot?

- Does it pair to iPhones for bluetooth calling?

- Can I use the iPhone as a iPod? and play music from it?

- Can I continue to use my steering wheel controls?

Cheers.

Paul.

EDIT: Looking on the website they have a image of it in all the current toyota models, including the Corolla, but it seems to be the sedan, not the hatch with the flying butress centre console, will this cause issues?

http://www.eclipse-web.com.au/Site/Guest/G...eToyota#corolla

They also mention that I may need to have a custom faceplate and stuff installed? will this be the case?

Edited by Pauly

Firstly, can I suggest you stop opening new threads when you just want to ask a variation of the same question over and over again.

now down to business,

If you want to have GPS in the dash and your steering wheel controls to work I suggest you look at Kenwood Head Units. DNX7340BTNAV to my understanding has the Garmin Nav board built in and has the provision to connect to most OEM steering wheel controls. This info is just based on initial inquires of my own as I plan on getting this HU after I get my ZRE.

Only reason I'm looking and suggest Kenwood is I previously had one of there fold out screen models which did me well and was flawless in performance.

That said, I have also keep my eye on : http://clarion.com/au/en/products/2009/mul...2420520006.html : this looks like a good little killer unit. Yet to be sold in aus, so no pricing, but looks good never the less. This page clearly notes the " OEM Steering Remote Ready" which I mentioned in a previous thread :P is something to look for.

Hope this helps

my suggestion of an eclipse unit is for a few reasons;

a. overall quality of them are superb, i've had mine for 4 years, its been in 3 different cars and has never skipped a beat.

b. sound quality is excellent, better imo than pioneer, kenwood, alpine, etc.

c. eclipse manufacture Toyota's stock head units, and thus the chances of compatablilty are very high (check with the dealer you wish to buy it from to be sure)

- Will this fit into the current generation Corolla (ZRE) Double Din Headunit slot?

It should fit, providing you purchase the relivent face plate for the ZRE

It *should* pair with an iphone, although they are kind of finnicy about what devices they will pair with (i have one, lol)

it lists direct ipod connection as a feature, depending on how this manages it, you may or may not be able to use the iphone as a music player.

almost certainly yes..

If i were you i would go to a car audio dealer and have talk with them, they will be able to give you more definite answers.

I was after a GPS Unit for it, and after I found out the Genuine Toyota Unit (people seem to use the work 'Auspack' for these?), was around the $4000 mark or somewhere near there, I thought Toyota could go jump.

Hi there

I can't comment on the specifics of the Corolla as I don't have one, but I do have the Eclipse AVN726EA in my Aurion and it is a great unit. I would imagine that it should fit fine in your Corolla, as most Toyotas nowdays have the provision to take their factory satnav (which by the way is not the Auspacks unit --- this is a cheaper aftermarket unit) which is a 2-DIN unit.

To answer your questions on functionality :

[\quote]

Yes supports most phones which use the Bluetooth standards. Works with pretty much all of the name brands and also my iPhone. You can control from the headunit or the phone.

[\quote]

Yes it fully supports the iPhone plugged into the iPod port (charges as well) and can control it using the usual playlists, artists, album, genre... type conventions. You can also use A2DP to stream audio from the iPhone to the headunit just fine with limited control.

[\quote]

Not certain about the Corolla but would imagine it would work. Does with the Aurion and many other Toyotas. In fact Eclipse essentially make the Toyota/Fujitsu Ten units that are in all Toyotas. The AVN726EA is programmable to allow it to work with many different manufacturers steering wheel controls.

Good luck and hope this helps. The AVN726EA is a nice unit and I reckon you can't go wrong with it.

Cheers

Hey guys,

I found this vent in my car, and I was wondering if it would be possible for the MIC for the bluetooth to be housed in there:

img0188s.jpg

I know the stock headunit has the Bluetooth MIC built into the headunit itself.

However I was wondering if that vent is a temperature sensor of some sort, or if it can actually house the Bluetooth MIC.

As you can see one of the vents is closed over, but the one on the drivers side is open. So I was thinking it may be used as a Bluetooth MIC overseas, but in Australia they dont do it?

What are peoples thoughts?

I have made a thread in the Corolla Forum to see what their thoughts are, but let me know?

Cheers.

Just spoke to my local Toyota dealer (Nunawadding Toyota) in Melbourne.

Spoke to a guy in Pre Deliveries. He informed me that the little vent is indeed blank with nothing in there. It is left over from a bluetooth setup you can get in Japan.

When they fit the 'Genuine' Toyota GPS Unit, they dont put the MIC in there normally apparently. But he doesn't see any reason why you couldn't put it in there.

He also recommended I look at the Eclipse Units.

The only thing concerning me now, would be how long the MIC Cable is, and if it will reach!!! are the extension leads if need be?

Hi Pauly,

I actually work for Fujitsu Ten

Please feel free to give me a call on (03) 8645 4800 to discuss you car.

I have the AVN726EA fitted into my 2007 Levin SX Corrolla.

FYI - Steering wheel controls work perfect, no need for a third party interface & the bluetooth mic is approx 5mtrs long so there is more than enough length to fit the mic in any location.

I've got mine fitted above the steering wheel

Regards,

David.

Edited by Eclipse by Fujitsu Ten

Hi David,

Is the unit plug and play? any cutting of wires? or a harness is still needed. I understand a fitting kit will be required but that's the easy part.

Vinh

Hi Vinh,

The unit is NOT plug and play.

The harness is unique and will require slicing into the relevant wires (vehicle side) such a power, illumination and speaker wires.

The fitting kit required are a set of L & R "ears" that we sell too.

They look like this http://www.sampsonsltd.com/img/p9a.jpg (the side plates are on the bottom) and are fitted to the side of the AVN726EA (L+R)

The Toyota factory audio is a unique 200mm wide, where as the ISO 2 DIN standard is 180mm wide

If you have any other questions relating to the AVN726EA, please do not hesitate to contact me

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

Is the unit plug and play? any cutting of wires? or a harness is still needed. I understand a fitting kit will be required but that's the easy part.

Vinh

Hi Vinh,

The harness is unique and will require slicing into the relevant wires (vehicle side) such a power, illumination and speaker wires.

They look like this http://www.sampsonsltd.com/img/p9a.jpg (the side plates are on the bottom) and are fitted to the side of the AVN726EA (L+R)

The Toyota factory audio is a unique 200mm wide, where as the ISO 2 DIN standard is 180mm wide

If you have any other questions relating to the AVN726EA, please do not hesitate to contact me

Regards,

David.

I was wondering, that since the Levin SX (Conquest and Levin ZR too) have the upgraded Audio setup with 2 Tweeters (on the top of the 2 front doors) and 4 speakers, do all these work with the AVN726EA?

Hi David,

Vinh

Hi Vinh,

Regards,

David.

I was wondering, that since the Levin SX (Conquest and Levin ZR too) have the upgraded Audio setup with 2 Tweeters (on the top of the 2 front doors) and 4 speakers, do all these work with the AVN726EA?

Hi Vinh,

Regarding the factory speakers and tweeters, the AVN726EA has a built in 4 x 50W MOSFET amplifier so it can sufficiently power all the speakers in the car.

The AVN726EA produces far more power than the factory radio,in addition the AVN726EA also has a 3 band EQ with customsetting so can further personalise your sound setting in your vehicle

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

Vinh

Hi Vinh,

Regards,

David.

Hi Vinh,

Regarding the factory speakers and tweeters, the AVN726EA has a built in 4 x 50W MOSFET amplifier so it can sufficiently power all the speakers in the car.

The AVN726EA produces far more power than the factory radio,in addition the AVN726EA also has a 3 band EQ with customsetting so can further personalise your sound setting in your vehicle

Regards,

David.

Im abit confused? if it has x4 50W outputs, how can it also power the 2 extra tweeters that come standard in your Levin SX? the same rule also applies to the Conquest and Levin ZR which has the same audio setup.

All up the corolla needs to power 6 speakers (4 proper speakers and 2 tweeters). how does that work?

have you changed the speakers in your car? or have you kept the stock ones?

if the speaker setup is like a normal one, the tweeters and woofers will run to a crossover, which is powered off the head unit/amp.

eg.

(tweeter) ------|

......................---(crossover)-------(source)

(woofer) -------|

hope that makes sense

Edited by mick.wheelz

• 1 month later...

I dont see buildings in the 3d map display as promised, maybe its available only when cruising within cbd area only(havent tested or been to melbourne cbd yet), correct me if wrong.

Also found this unit sometimes acting a little `laggy`(slow to respond, took about 2-3 seconds), maybe this only occurs randomly on my unit (possibly due to bad readings on scracthed disc when playing mp3, still to find out) anyone?

• 1 month later...