1994 Camry - What to look out for

kristian

Hi,

I'm about to buy a manual 1994 Camry XV10 CSX that's close to it's 200,000 km mark and was wondering what should I be watching out for? It feels good being test driven but will there be any major replacements that is coming my way due to the car's current milage?

Thanks

Hey Kristian, I used to own one of these (albeit a '95 CSi manual); very nice and reliable car. Biggest thing I guess around that mark will be the timing belt & water pump unless they've been replaced recently. CV joints may also need a look at if you can hear a knocking noise when turning. Uhm what else...roof lining may have started to sag also, which is perfectly normal in these cars. Make sure you also check out the door and window seals as these can be coming away as well.

Then there's all the normal things really like spark plugs, engine hoses, tyres, any obvious panel damage, accident history, servicing history. Basically if these things are serviced well and looked after well (an easy job) they will go and go and go :D Best of luck with the purchase!

Edited by Tash

Definitely the clutch, I have a 94 Camry on the 102, 000 mark and it has had 2 gearbox swaps, the first time the car wouldn't even move, second box was refurb and they told me it would only last a year so that was expected. However, the pumps and timing belts should be changed every 100, 000 odd kms. My roof is also very saggy which is annoying as it sits on my head when i drive the car, not good.

What sort of price are you looking at paying?

Definitely the clutch, I have a 94 Camry on the 102, 000 mark and it has had 2 gearbox swaps, the first time the car wouldn't even move, second box was refurb and they told me it would only last a year so that was expected. However, the pumps and timing belts should be changed every 100, 000 odd kms. My roof is also very saggy which is annoying as it sits on my head when i drive the car, not good.

What sort of price are you looking at paying?

The dealer was quoting me $5k drive away with 12 months warranty.

Damn, that is pretty steep for a manual with 200, 000 km on the clock, even from a dealer. Is this for the 4 or 6 cylinder model?

Technically the 4 cylinders have a higher market price these days because of fuel consumption, though I still wouldn't be paying that high a price for a 15 year old car with 200, 000 kms. Should try and talk it down to $4k at least, and even then it might still be a bit steep, but $5k is just daylight robbery!

5k? no chance mate. walk away.

even with the warranty.

4k even is too steep. i wouldn't go anything above 4 and thats me being generous for something that old and with that much on the clock. id say start at around 3k for something that old.

5k? lol... obviously dealers are more expensive, but hell, they aren't THAT expensive.

200k on the clock... due for the big service. Considering they're trying to sell you a car for over 1k more than it's worth and not having done the 200k service (timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, spark plugs, rear main seals and all the other stuff along with it)...

I just, wouldn't touch it at all, lol... the problems that CAN happen have already been stated. These cars are normally bulletproof if looked after properly though.

just having a quick browse on carsales & found this:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=1230FA417B90

Its a manual, 73,000kms for $3,300......and also looks to be in pretty good condition...

there are sooooo many Gen3 Camry's around so I dont think it'd be that hard to find one with lower k's and for a lower price :)

Hi,

I'm about to buy a manual 1994 Camry XV10 CSX that's close to it's 200,000 km mark and was wondering what should I be watching out for? It feels good being test driven but will there be any major replacements that is coming my way due to the car's current milage?

Thanks

look on trading post search for camry csx ive gotta 94 manual csx good nick, lots of work done cos i was keeping it but wife injured her ankle cant drive manual any more so have got vienta auto instead am negotiable on price. phone me john on 0411739211 if interested