Aftermarket Sports Seats

Big Red

After my last car had supportive bucket seats, I'm finding my new Camry's to be a bit lacking. While I'm sure I could live with them, I was wondering how hard it would be to put in a road legal aftermarket seat into it.

Has anyone done this? Was it hard? Cost much? Worth it? Pics?

Edited by Big Red

If you get the seats from a 4cyl gen 5 Camry Sportivo 02- 06 the base and back will bolt on to the slide and mounts for the gen 4 97 -01. I did this to my gen 4 and because they are interchangeable there should not be any compliance/safety issues like you would have if fitting an aftermarket seat.

Dont get the seats from the V6 Sportivo even though they look the same they are fitted with side airbags.

If you get the seats from a 4cyl gen 5 Camry Sportivo 02- 06 the base and back will bolt on to the slide and mounts for the gen 4 97 -01. I did this to my gen 4 and because they are interchangeable there should not be any compliance/safety issues like you would have if fitting an aftermarket seat.

Dont get the seats from the V6 Sportivo even though they look the same they are fitted with side airbags.

Sweet! Thanks for that, might start having a look for one :D

Also call me an uber n00b but isnt the 97-01 Camrys the gen5?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry#...E2.80.932001.29

Dont believe every thing you read on Wikipedia! What they are calling a 4th gen was a sub model from the 3rd gen. It also has the narrow body chassis as opposed to the 'widebody' as Toyota marketed the gen 3.

The 97-01 Camry is the gen 4. 02-06 gen 5 and 06-0n gen 6.

haha, yeah I know i shouldn't. Thanks for clearing that up.

So how much did it cost you for the seat?

Just to clarify, when you say "the base and back will bolt on to the slide and mounts" pretty much all I would need is the actual sportivo seat cushions and they will bolt onto the actual seat frame i already have?

• 1 month later...

Where did you guys get them from because I'm having problems finding anyone that has them and then of the 2 places that have them will only sell me both front seats with everything @ $550 plus shipping

Just found a place that will do me $300pp for both seats. If i do just get the whole seat, do you know if they will just bolt straight in?

Edited by Big Red

Where did you guys get them from because I'm having problems finding anyone that has them and then of the 2 places that have them will only sell me both front seats with everything @ $550 plus shipping

Just found a place that will do me $300pp for both seats. If i do just get the whole seat, do you know if they will just bolt straight in?

make sure they are from an ACV36 (4cyl) as the V6 seats have air bags fitted. They will NOT just bolt in. You need to disassemble the seat and fit the base and back rest to the gen 4 rails.

is the 04-06 seats the same support as the 03 ones i know mine doesnt have the sportivo on the seat written on the seat

The seats are the same shape, which is better then what is fitted to the gen 4.

make sure they are from an ACV36 (4cyl) as the V6 seats have air bags fitted. They will NOT just bolt in. You need to disassemble the seat and fit the base and back rest to the gen 4 rails.

Yeah I have made sure they are the 4 cyl versions. Lame they won't fit in :(

Wish they would just sell me the cushions