TRD Mufflers on ZR6??

Adamsy

Hey Guys!

I have a ZR6 and want to make it sound a little better and improve the performance of the system aswell. Alot of people have fitted the VAREX system to their cars but has anybody fitted the TRD Muffler to a Sportivo. TRD claimed that its muffler had 15% less back pressure compared to the standard unit, surely this should bolt straight up and offer some sort of gain in both performance and sound?

I feel pretty confident in saying that you will not have any changes in sound (anything noticeable anyways) or performance. Finding some 2nd hand TRD mufflers (or just getting new ones from Lukey who I'm sure make them) would be a complete waste of money. Also, changing just the rear mufflers are not going to have any performance gains. As for the note, a stock TRD sounds pretty much the same exhaust wise, just a little different under WOT due to the supercharger trying to breathe. You would be much better off getting aftermarket mufflers that have just the note you want because there is no point of dreaming for performance with just changing that alone.

I dont think adamsy is talking about the same trd exhaust the trd aurion has, because i know both in japan and in america they have trd exhaust specialy made for the v6 camry. I do not think its the same one as what the trd aurion has.

I dont think adamsy is talking about the same trd exhaust the trd aurion has, because i know both in japan and in america they have trd exhaust specialy made for the v6 camry. I do not think its the same one as what the trd aurion has.

True. Good point. Completely went over my head.

That exhaust is a catback minus the resonator which flows to twin Borla mufflers.

That said, there is still no gain to be had by simply removing the resonator and changing to free flowing rear mufflers.

For those curious about the TRD exhaust, photos are here:

Rear exhausts

I feel pretty confident in saying that you will not have any changes in sound (anything noticeable anyways) or performance. Finding some 2nd hand TRD mufflers (or just getting new ones from Lukey who I'm sure make them) would be a complete waste of money. Also, changing just the rear mufflers are not going to have any performance gains. As for the note, a stock TRD sounds pretty much the same exhaust wise, just a little different under WOT due to the supercharger trying to breathe. You would be much better off getting aftermarket mufflers that have just the note you want because there is no point of dreaming for performance with just changing that alone.

Sorry if I'm confused, but are you saying that a TRD Aurion exhaust sounds the same as a stock Aurion. I borrowed a base model stock Aurion when my car was getting fixed the other day and I can assure you it sounds nothing like a TRD. The stock model is very quiet, the TRD isn't, even at idle.

Sorry if I'm confused, but are you saying that a TRD Aurion exhaust sounds the same as a stock Aurion. I borrowed a base model stock Aurion when my car was getting fixed the other day and I can assure you it sounds nothing like a TRD. The stock model is very quiet, the TRD isn't, even at idle.

The mufflers would be pretty much identical. What you get that contributes to a slightly different note is due to the effects of a supercharger even doing minimal work. Essentially, the S/C adds an extra load to the engine, and as you know, an exhaust note can sound different when under different loads. Same principle basically. Then as you add more engine speed, the extra air flow from the S/C changes the note even more.

Maybe my hearing isn't quite the same, but standing at the rear of a stock Aurion and a TRD Aurion, I can barely hear any difference in the exhaust note.

The mufflers would be pretty much identical. What you get that contributes to a slightly different note is due to the effects of a supercharger even doing minimal work. Essentially, the S/C adds an extra load to the engine, and as you know, an exhaust note can sound different when under load. Same principle basically.

Maybe my hearing isn't quite the same, but standing at the rear of a stock Aurion and a TRD Aurion, I can barely hear any difference in the exhaust note.

I agree with BF71, not that it really matters, but they do sound quite different to me too. When my wife drives up the driveway I can really hear the exhuast... i have thin crappy windows in the lounge room and they vibrate and rattle. When my mate drive up the driveway in his ATX i don't even know he has arrived until I hear his car door close after he has turned the engine off!

I agree with BF71, not that it really matters, but they do sound quite different to me too. When my wife drives up the driveway I can really hear the exhuast... i have thin crappy windows in the lounge room and they vibrate and rattle. When my mate drive up the driveway in his ATX i don't even know he has arrived until I hear his car door close after he has turned the engine off!

Okay, well maybe my hearing is probably fked :lol: When listening to both drive by at the same speed though (while not being under heavy load, which would obviously make a different exhaust note), I have noticed no difference in note except for the sound of the restriction on the S/C. Yes it does sound different when presented with sufficient load but then in this scenario, the engine is much different due to the boost.

For justification, I find the note is very similar with the TRD. The volume of it and the RPM in which it makes its noise however is not, and this may be thought of as a different note, but I find it similar. For example, a N/A Aurion makes the best note past 4,000RPM; where it starts to make good power, this is presented as a nice deep note. On the TRD however, it makes its power nice and early and in return, you start to hear it earlier.

That said, I still believe that if you put the TRD stock mufflers on a N/A 2GR, it will sound like any other Aurion, simply because the effect the S/C has on the exhaust. Putting it on is not going to cause it to sound deeper much earlier than normal.

Hey Guys thanks for the replys and as you can gather im pretty new to tuning the ZR. You guys seem to of tricked up your Aurions would do you guys reccomend for mufflers? Also does anybody have the K&N Typhoon induction system fitted? if so what are your thoughts on the kit?