General camry questions/answers

private number

Im contimplating whether to get 19 or 20 inch rims on my 07 camry which hopefully if my budget allows me, will be installed by christmas.

Anyway i would like any advice that would help me choose whether or not to get 19 or 20 inch rims. And after that, either way i would like to drop it. I understand its up to me and the look i want, but having a outside perspect of things will help alot.

i really wanna know if i get ___ inch rims;

- what kinda coilovers/lowering spinrgs should i get that keeps a very comfortable ride (take into consideration i drive my family and friends around on the frequent)?

- what about offset?

- tire choice for ___ inch rims?

- general advice?

and maybe your set up if youve done this before.

I realise there are many threads that give advice on this, but its very hard to find something specific for me and ive gathered that there are not a lot of us 07+ camry owners (that i know of) that are interested in customizing their ride.

thanks in avdance

p/n

^ Mate, you know what? Check out the Aurion boards.

Any advice there on wheels and tires is a one-for-one match to your Gen 6 Camry. There is a ton of advice floating around those boards.

Hi, when you consider the flat bottom of the tank and the size necessary for a float the closest registration of empty would have to be when the bottom of the float sits on the bottom of the tank, thus being unable to gauge whats left in the tank. usually manufactures like to set the gauge to read empty with a little bit in reserve and in some models a waning when your getting near empty. So if it takes 55ltrs to fill up a 70ltr tank from empty this should leave you with 15ltrs in the tank at that point hopefully a margin sufficient to get you to a service station. Not sure of yours but the specs say the 1998-2000 Camry has a 70ltr tank?

Edited by peregrine

I was just reading on toyotanation that their camrys "adapt to their driving style". How does your car do this, and how can it be resetted (something about the ECU) and how much would it cost to do this if its worth resetting?

some background info; i bought my car second hand and if it has adapted to the previous owners driving style, i would like it resetted to suit my driving style

Edited by private number

I was just reading on toyotanation that their camrys "adapt to their driving style". How does your car do this, and how can it be resetted (something about the ECU) and how much would it cost to do this if its worth resetting?

some background info; i bought my car second hand and if it has adapted to the previous owners driving style, i would like it resetted to suit my driving style

The AI shift control is only for the American Gen 6 Camry V6 and the Australian Aurion.. and any other car using the U660E automatic transaxle. According to Toyota:

AI-SHIFT control enables the ECT ECU to estimate the road conditions and the driver’s intention in order to automatically control the shift pattern in the optimal manner. As a result, a comfortable ride has been achieved.

Essentially this just means that if you drive the car relaxed, the gearbox will optimise itself to make the shifts as smooth as possible and as a result, the shifts are usually slower. If the car is driven more spirited, the gearbox shift pattern adjusts to make its shift a bit more responsive (though still slow unfortunately).

This AI is always learning and therefore there is no need to reset it. Just driving the car over a few kilometres is enough to make changes.

If you did have such gearbox in your car and wanted to forcefully reset the ECU, you can either disconnect your battery or remove the ECU fuses for about 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking of installing after market fogs with HIDs (cause the dollar seems to be coming up)

. does anyone recommend any place that will do this for me if i have all the parts needed to install it and how much will it cost me for labour? im just looking for someone to do the job since i dont know how to do it myself (and im pretty keen to learn).

also, ive heard mixed reviews about all different HID brands and what not, what are your recommendations? (thinking of purchasing the aftermarket fogs and HIDs off ebay)

• 3 months later...

Hey fellas

i installed aftermarket FOglights but havnt wired them up yet. the kit came with a switch but it doesnt fit into the blank pop out bit in the dash that is to the right of the steering wheel and right near the ashtray area (close to the lever that pops the hood). i was wondering, what is suppose to go there if a foglight switch doesnt? I would by the foglight stalk from toyota, but i dont have alot of $$$$ that i would want to spend on just foglights

Thanks

... i was wondering, what is suppose to go there if a foglight switch doesnt?

Those blanks can take switches that are for genuine Toyota accessories (ie. switch supplied from Toyota), or an aftermarket switch that is made to the same size.

Chances are, the fog light switch you have is just a generic switch that isn't specifically made to fit those panel blanks.

Sorry if this has been done before but i thought instead of making a new thread for me to ask a simple question, id just make a general camry question thread where all small questions can be easily asked in the one place.

anyway my question is which has played on my mind all day during work is, if the camry model fuel tank capacity is 70 litres, why is it that when i filled it up today with 55 litres of fuel today the line went past the "F"? The line was at the 2nd little mark before the "E" before i filled it up?

As the second little mark would indicate a quarter of a tank eg 17.5 liters and allowing for it not being exactly on the mark we'll presume that we factor in an error of 2.5 liters this then would represent a figure of 15 liters in your tank plus the 55liters liters you put in equals 70 liters exactly. By the way these gauges aren't always precise.

... i was wondering, what is suppose to go there if a foglight switch doesnt?

Those blanks can take switches that are for genuine Toyota accessories (ie. switch supplied from Toyota), or an aftermarket switch that is made to the same size.

Chances are, the fog light switch you have is just a generic switch that isn't specifically made to fit those panel blanks.

Turns out that the switch was for an earlier model? So the search for a foglight switch continues. THe only seller on ebay who sells foglight kits to AUS camrys wont sell the switch alone :(

Anyway, i was taking off my front rim (the one with a screw in it) to replace it back to stockies this morning and whilst i was putting it on and tightend it up, i wasnt sure if this is normal. The actual bolt only went about 3/4 onto the mounted screws. Looking into the steelie i could see there was still a gap but i couldnt push the wheel in anymore. I cant remember if this was originally like that before i bought my rims so i was hoping someone could clear it up for me. The centre bit of the steelie is sealed to the middle bit of the disk brake, yet there is a gap if i look inside. Is this how its suppose to be?

Just the other day my fuel gauge hit the empty mark. Well to my pleasant surprise a little round orange light which I didn't know was there came on. Occasionally going off and then on again consistent with the sloshing around of the remaining petrol in the tank which if consistent with other makes should give me a range of say 50 to 100KS before completely running out and coming to a stop. My car is a 1999 Vienta. I wander what other little treasures there are? For instance, I believe there is one for low windscreen washer water and hopefully some others.

• 1 month later...