KX-R roof rails

Turkey Galoot

I asked Jimmy from newGENERATIONimports who runs an eBay store about rails for the KX-R and his reply was "we have our supplier to see if he can get his hands on some roof racks & roof rails. we are just waiting for supplier to get stock." Has anybody found any other supply of rails (apart from the Toyota really expensive ones)?

Ken.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked Jimmy from newGENERATIONimports who runs an eBay store about rails for the KX-R and his reply was "we have our supplier to see if he can get his hands on some roof racks & roof rails. we are just waiting for supplier to get stock." Has anybody found any other supply of rails (apart from the Toyota really expensive ones)?

Ken.

Hey Ken,

Purchased a set of oem style side steps today from oznest on ebay (very happy with them. They look great on). He said his roof rails are on the boat and expected in about 2 week. Price suggested would be under $300 a set. Also had a look at his oem style nudgebars. Looked pretty good but only two damaged ones left in stock. They will arrive the same time as the roof rails.

Drew

Ken.

Hey Ken,

Purchased a set of oem style side steps today from oznest on ebay (very happy with them. They look great on). He said his roof rails are on the boat and expected in about 2 week. Price suggested would be under $300 a set. Also had a look at his oem style nudgebars. Looked pretty good but only two damaged ones left in stock. They will arrive the same time as the roof rails.

Drew

At under 300 a pop I might be persuaded to install some rails on my KXR.

Although I dont mind the look of the black racks without rails.

Apparently a guy I pulled up beside in traffic said the racks were simple to install on his kxr.

Ken.

Hey Ken,

Drew

Hi,

Silly question, how do one use the roof rail ie. what do people use it for?

The rails are mounted on the sides of the roof. You then need cross bars (additional cost) upon which you can mount whatever you want to carry. The good thing about using rails is that you can adjust the distance apart of the cross bars, so you can carry a wide range of objects on the roof. And when you don't need to carry anything, you can remove the cross bars to decrease wind resistance and noise.

In my case the Kluger KX-R came without rails, so I purchased some Rola racks which are designed to bolt directly into the Kluger rail mounting points. See pic below.

post-13878-1255654423_thumb.jpg

However, these racks are 1300 mm apart which is too wide for a luggage box, and even if I could find a luggage box long enough to fit, the rear overhang would prevent me from opening the rear hatch.

So I would love to get some rails.

In the meantime I have puchased some Rhino Multi Fit roof racks which clip into the door frame and so enable me to carry the luggage box (I have a 7-seater which leaves little room for luggage inside when the rear seat is in use).

Ken.

Edited by kbosward

The rails are mounted on the sides of the roof. You then need cross bars (additional cost) upon which you can mount whatever you want to carry. The good thing about using rails is that you can adjust the distance apart of the cross bars, so you can carry a wide range of objects on the roof. And when you don't need to carry anything, you can remove the cross bars to decrease wind resistance and noise.

In my case the Kluger KX-R came without rails, so I purchased some Rola racks which are designed to bolt directly into the Kluger rail mounting points. See pic below.

post-13878-1255654423_thumb.jpg

However, these racks are 1300 mm apart which is too wide for a luggage box, and even if I could find a luggage box long enough to fit, the rear overhang would prevent me from opening the rear hatch.

So I would love to get some rails.

In the meantime I have puchased some Rhino Multi Fit roof racks which clip into the door frame and so enable me to carry the luggage box (I have a 7-seater which leaves little room for luggage inside when the rear seat is in use).

Ken.

Thanks Ken. I got the same model and also roof rack from toyota. However they installed in much closer. I was thinking about a pod as well with my 7 passengers but you just pointed out something important ie. the length of the pod stopping the rear door opening.

Thanks Ken. I got the same model and also roof rack from toyota. However they installed in much closer. I was thinking about a pod as well with my 7 passengers but you just pointed out something important ie. the length of the pod stopping the rear door opening.

Provided the rear rack is some distance from the rear of the roof there should be no problem. In my case the Multi Fit racks need to clip into the door frames. I fitted them pretty well vertically above the door handles so they are closer to the front of the roof than the rear. You will find that a luggage pod looks much shorter when mounted on the roof than it does in the shop! Sorry, don't have a photo to show you as I've taken it off until I need it again.

Ken.

ive just come back from oznet supplied and fitted roof rails it looks beasty now.

Show us a pic!

Hmmm, just had a look on eBay, only silver colour (how would that look on graphite?) and only 50 kg load rating. By the time you add racks and luggage box that leaves only about 30 kg load capacity. Anyone know what the load rating of genuine Toyota rails is?

Still, I'm very interested!

Ken.

quick photo from the carpark using my mob phone. i looked at a grande's rails and its so like the OEM especially because there is no toyota badging on the originals. I'm glad I didn't spend $495 on non roof rail roof racks. Now i can put them on if I buy later. I doubt the roof racks + box will be 20kg combined. + Do you normally carry 30kg's of stuff in your normal boot?

I tried to get my fog light bevels today but toyota has been stuffing me around.

post-11900-1256207765_thumb.jpg

ive just come back from oznet supplied and fitted roof rails it looks beasty now.

Show us a pic!

Hmmm, just had a look on eBay, only silver colour (how would that look on graphite?) and only 50 kg load rating. By the time you add racks and luggage box that leaves only about 30 kg load capacity. Anyone know what the load rating of genuine Toyota rails is?

Still, I'm very interested!

Ken.

I thought the same thing, but had a look on the toyota website and the graphite grande seemed to have silver rails!! Will have a serious look at getting these.

Murray

Do you normally carry 30kg's of stuff in your normal boot?

I have a family of six, I think we'd easily make 30 kg of luggage when travelling. I just wouldn't want my luggage box to be torn from the roof while batting along at 110 km/h on the freeway :unsure:

Ken.

Hmmm, just had a look on eBay, only silver colour (how would that look on graphite?)

I thought the same thing, but had a look on the toyota website and the graphite grande seemed to have silver rails!! Will have a serious look at getting these.

Murray

Yep, saw a graphite Grande in the flesh (steel) last night and it had silver rails.

Ken.

kbosward> I went to look at some Thule roof racks and boxes today at roof rack city in artarmon sydney and they were shocked when they saw them they were really curious and tugging at the damn rails to see how sturdy. they reckon it can hold more than 50kg. I told them it uses the same slots and no extra drilling was required. Also I think they're interested in buying from oznest as they always get roof rail enquries from kxr owners.

I was outside yesterday next to a grande and they looked like brothers. seriously its that good of a copy. The altitude has black rails and on a graphite does not look as good IMHO.

Gerds, a few questions .

Are they the same length as the original rails & are they easy to install.

Also how much are the racks that match the rails & can you buy them from the same supplier.

Finally, how much for rails & racks in total if you install yourself.

Appreciate your reply

Thanks mate!

Edited by luvthekluges

it is exactly same length and looks as OEM it has to as it is using the pre-existing holes when you take out the plastic cover from the roof of the KX-R. The only tricky thing is drilling larger holes (x 2 on each rail) for extra support before screwing into the roof. The ebay dealer where I picked it up from installed it for me for $30 but it took just under 2 hours because of some hiccups. Not sure he will install for anyone else after that incident but he was very helpful. The rails itself is $285 for the pair compared to $1,800 from Toyota. I'm really happy with them and the look, I was actually going to check them out only but they looked so good and for the price I could not pass up. He has side steps and nudge bars as well but is no interest to me. I did tell him I am interested if it comes in custom grills like I've seen on some US forums. I should have my fogs installed by this week and will take a photoshoot once done. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $10k for the KXS as I knew the extras were not worth it. I didn't like the leather, slow seat automatic seats, not much choice with 19" wheels and can get better wheels later if I wish, 6 stacker cd which I cant be bothered with and the OEM aint nothing to sing about, climate control not important to me as I still have A/C, the rails I now have and fogs I will have soon. Plus to top it off my model is AWD.

Let me know if you get them, we should start the KX-R club.

it is exactly same length and looks as OEM it has to as it is using the pre-existing holes when you take out the plastic cover from the roof of the KX-R. The only tricky thing is drilling larger holes (x 2 on each rail) for extra support before screwing into the roof. The ebay dealer where I picked it up from installed it for me for $30 but it took just under 2 hours because of some hiccups. Not sure he will install for anyone else after that incident but he was very helpful. The rails itself is $285 for the pair compared to $1,800 from Toyota. I'm really happy with them and the look, I was actually going to check them out only but they looked so good and for the price I could not pass up. He has side steps nd nudge bars as well but is no interest to me. I did tell him I am interested if it comes in custom grills like I've seen on some US forums. I should have my fogs installed by this week and will take a photoshoot once done. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $10k for the KXS as I knew the extras were not worth it. I didn't like the leather, slow seat automatic seats, not much choice with 19" wheels and can get better wheels later if I wish, 6 stacker cd which I cant be bothered with and the OEM aint nothing to sing about, climate control not important to me as I still have A/C, the rails I now have and fogs I will have soon. Plus to top it off my model is AWD.

it is exactly same length and looks as OEM it has to as it is using the pre-existing holes when you take out the plastic cover from the roof of the KX-R. The only tricky thing is drilling larger holes (x 2 on each rail) for extra support before screwing into the roof. The ebay dealer where I picked it up from installed it for me for $30 but it took just under 2 hours because of some hiccups. Not sure he will install for anyone else after that incident but he was very helpful. The rails itself is $285 for the pair compared to $1,800 from Toyota. I'm really happy with them and the look, I was actually going to check them out only but they looked so good and for the price I could not pass up. He has side steps nd nudge bars as well but is no interest to me. I did tell him I am interested if it comes in custom grills like I've seen on some US forums. I should have my fogs installed by this week and will take a photoshoot once done. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $10k for the KXS as I knew the extras were not worth it. I didn't like the leather, slow seat automatic seats, not much choice with 19" wheels and can get better wheels later if I wish, 6 stacker cd which I cant be bothered with and the OEM aint nothing to sing about, climate control not important to me as I still have A/C, the rails I now have and fogs I will have soon. Plus to top it off my model is AWD.

Hey guys,

Got some roof rails from oznest88 ebay as well. Mine fitted straight in, didnt need any extra holes drilled etc???

Note the current listing states-

One pair of Aluminium Roof Rails

Suitable for Kluger 07-09 model

No need drilling, no cutting, easy mounting

Maxi loading 50 kg

Only in silver colour

Comes with fitting kits and instruction

This is not genuine Toyota part.

Confused as to why yours needed extra drilling for holes gerds, maybe a different version then what is currently listed on ebay?

Edited by wilsact

kbosward> I went to look at some Thule roof racks and boxes today at roof rack city in artarmon sydney and they were shocked when they saw them they were really curious and tugging at the damn rails to see how sturdy. they reckon it can hold more than 50kg. I told them it uses the same slots and no extra drilling was required. Also I think they're interested in buying from oznest as they always get roof rail enquries from kxr owners.

When I picked up my roof box from TJM in Wollongong they were of the opinion that any non-OEM rails would be illegal (that was before I was aware of the rails from oznest). Of course that could just be salespeak.

Does anyone have a legal opinion in this?

Ken.