KX-R roof rails

Turkey Galoot

haha that's funny, don't pull over the guy who has 24" rims but pull over that KX-R who has non OEM roof rails. You can't tell the diff unless your Toyota who knows you didn't purchase the black OEM for $1,800. You will have to pull over everybody else who doesn't have OEM nudgebars or side steps I'm sure there's alot more people with these.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he drilled it on the rails not for the roof just to strengthen the bars? show us a pic mate. We'll have to do a KX-R cruise soon.

No dramas I will get some pics up soon.

How do you find the fit between the plastic covers and the rubber under the rails?

Much of a gap etc? Not sure I have my plastic caps fitted properly as little gap, where saw a factory one today and plastic caps fitted with no gap against rubber.

Very happy with rails, bargain:) Will probably go the side steps as well.

there's no gaps on mine so you need to post a pic. I got my fog lights installed today with a cabin switch using the spare slots near the mirror adjuster. Yeah the side steps are cheap too but i dont like that it will reduce ground clearance. My next mod would be dvd player with sat nav blu tooth with 2 extra monitors on head rests. Got quote today but still more to research. Are you upgrading wheels as well?

A different option to the roof rails, Rhino has a track system that fits neatly into the roof line thus allowing the bars to be set to any length. A little bit of handy work required but the system comes with easy to follow instructions. Supplier (roof rack world) would also fit for a price. I had them installed in a few hours.

Link for roof rack

kbosward> I went to look at some Thule roof racks and boxes today at roof rack city in artarmon sydney and they were shocked when they saw them they were really curious and tugging at the damn rails to see how sturdy. they reckon it can hold more than 50kg. I told them it uses the same slots and no extra drilling was required. Also I think they're interested in buying from oznest as they always get roof rail enquries from kxr owners.

When I picked up my roof box from TJM in Wollongong they were of the opinion that any non-OEM rails would be illegal (that was before I was aware of the rails from oznest). Of course that could just be salespeak.

Does anyone have a legal opinion in this?

Ken.

Hey Ken, what a load of hog wash from the TJM guys! OEM roof rails would be no more illegal that non-Toyota roof racks that TJM sell. We all know Toyota doesnt make their roof racks probably made by Rhino or Thule! At the end of the day, oznest have stated their suggested rating of 50kg, so if you or I or anyone else load up them with more and they fly off, then thats our problem.

Have been hanging out for these roof rails for weeks now. Been out of the country and only just got back so I will have to order a pair now that a few of you guys ave them and are really happy with them.

Gerds, like the pic with the rails & foggys! Plan to do the same with my graphite KXR as well. Sorry to be a copy cat!! But your KXR looks great! Totally agree with about the KXR & KXS price difference. Couldnt justify it myself either.

Cheers

TB

hey Boogie,

I want to see more KXR especially Graphites done up with rails and fogs. We should do a cruise if your in Syd haha

I was actually looking at silver handles the Grande has. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought about getting some. Not sure where I can source decent looking ones.

Next things I want to get done next year is probably sat nav/dvd/gps combo and maybe some crossbars from Toyota. I had a chance to get brand new with rubber Grande wheels for $1k but still have lots of tread on my 17"s and it doesn't look as small now with the rails and fogs.

Can't wait to see everybody else's pics.

Gerds

Update:

Rails have arrived and installed tonight!! Look good..... but they are not a perfect fit. As someone else reported there is a slight 3-4 mm gap between the rubber and the roof. The gap is worse on the back. I was lucky that there was a graphite grande parked across the road tonight and everything looks pretty similar except for the rubber bit that goes between the rail and the roof. There is also a slight colour difference - OZNEST rails are a couple of shades darker grey.

I think that you can purchase the rubber bits seperately from Toyota!! But overall i'm not too worried about it as you would have to be up close to notice the gaps.

I'll post some images tomorrow - Too dark now!!

PICS as promised below:

post-15550-1257582039_thumb.jpg

drivers side front

post-15550-1257582078_thumb.jpg

drivers side rear

post-15550-1257582172_thumb.jpg

passenger side front

post-15550-1257582214_thumb.jpg

passenger side rear

post-15550-1257582261_thumb.jpg

view of full rail

post-15550-1257582136_thumb.jpg

full car shot - KXR transformed to Grande....nearly complete, foglights, sat nav, leather steering wheel (maybe??), leather shifter, etc, still to come....

As I said before, not perfect, but nad bad and considering the price saving I'm overall happy. Hot day in Melbourne today as also made the rubber a bit softer and it seems to sitting a bit better??

Edited by KXRuising

huwie everone buys them from oznest on ebay. Search kluger rails. Aud295. They fit straight to the holes on kxr using the rubber moulding provided. If you live in syd pick them up and ask him (lee) to install for 30bux. I told him already to expect more orders after my install.

Gerds

Spoke to oznest , the guy told me he's waiting for black rails to come in the next few weeks.

I'll be going the black to match my black kxr. Thought about the current colour but have decided black.

I might have a look at both colours on the day I buy but having seen the black Grande & black Altitude I think I like the Black rails better, just..

Thanks for the heads up & photos guys, much appreciated,one of the reasons i like forums.

KXRuising, any chance you could get a photo of the gap , I'm a perfectionist & need to know what I would have to live with.....for a $1500 saving i think i could live with it but need a look at the imperfection.

Do you think the gap would leak water into any areas it shouldn't be?

I bought some of these and put them on today. I don't have an issue with gaps, but I had to use a round file to move a couple of holes across to fit the long rail to the 'feet' on one side. No big deal. They're definitely darker which wouldn't matter if your car isn't silver like mine. I don't mind the contrast, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Anyway, onto the pics...

post-13135-1257590424_thumb.jpg

post-13135-1257590446_thumb.jpg

post-13135-1257590551_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpeedRacer

Your rails look great Speedracer as do all of the other boys cars & girls if any.

That gap is nothing compared to what i had imagined. I can easily live with that.

Starting to feel unsure about which colour rails to get after seeing Speedracers.

I kinda like the contrast. Do I go contrast or blend? The black on black looks cool but I like the way you notice the rails with a different colour.

i reckon the oznest rails have a better colour than pure silver on grande's or pure black on altitude. I know the pure black altitude rails don't look as good on a pearl white and silver klugers IMO.

Speed racer and KXRuising nice pics, please post some more from the front with total view and full side profile. Yeah I have a bit of lift also on my left rear but hoping some summer heat will help melt it into shape. Again its nothing major especially from far distance.

Spoke to oznest , the guy told me he's waiting for black rails to come in the next few weeks.

I'll be going the black to match my black kxr. Thought about the current colour but have decided black.

I might have a look at both colours on the day I buy but having seen the black Grande & black Altitude I think I like the Black rails better, just..

Thanks for the heads up & photos guys, much appreciated,one of the reasons i like forums.

KXRuising, any chance you could get a photo of the gap , I'm a perfectionist & need to know what I would have to live with.....for a $1500 saving i think i could live with it but need a look at the imperfection.

Do you think the gap would leak water into any areas it shouldn't be?

Not sure about the black on black or the silver rails?? I would probably lean towards the black IMO.

See pic below with the gap, it is the same photo as I posted but I have highlighted the gap (see green lines). It's a bit hard to pick up due to the shadowing. This is the rear drivers side where the gap is at it's worst.

post-15550-1257599961_thumb.jpg

I am a bit of a perfectionist also, but can live with this. Problem could probably be solved by filing back the height of the feet that secure rail to the roof, but I think I'll wait and see whether the rubber changes under weather conditions.

I don't think water should leak in. If it does, there are rubber washers/gaskets that come with the kit that sit between the feet and the roof. Guess I'll find out in due course.

i reckon the oznest rails have a better colour than pure silver on grande's or pure black on altitude. I know the pure black altitude rails don't look as good on a pearl white and silver klugers IMO.

Speed racer and KXRuising nice pics, please post some more from the front with total view and full side profile. Yeah I have a bit of lift also on my left rear but hoping some summer heat will help melt it into shape. Again its nothing major especially from far distance.

Thanks gerds,

I'll take some more photos tomorrow (or should I say today, how did it get to 12.32 AM??) from the front and side profile of the whole car.

Time for bed!!

Thanks for going to the trouble with the photos of the gap & your opinions on rail colour boys.

I'm none the wiser. Suppose I'll check both out when I go out to see them.

I'm kinda leaning towards the black cause I can match them with the black racks.

There must be something to be able to fix that gap prob, suggestions anyone?

See pic below with the gap, it is the same photo as I posted but I have highlighted the gap (see green lines). It's a bit hard to pick up due to the shadowing. This is the rear drivers side where the gap is at it's worst.

post-15550-1257599961_thumb.jpg

I am a bit of a perfectionist also, but can live with this. Problem could probably be solved by filing back the height of the feet that secure rail to the roof, but I think I'll wait and see whether the rubber changes under weather conditions.

I don't think water should leak in. If it does, there are rubber washers/gaskets that come with the kit that sit between the feet and the roof. Guess I'll find out in due course.

Looks to me like the cover hasn't snapped into place or the one of the tabs that holds the cover on has broken off. Can you take the cover off and check?

Edited by SpeedRacer