echo clutch replacement

lhadnav

How much work is involved in replacing a clutch on a 1999 echo. Also if a workshop were to do the job what price range would i be looking at I am just after an estimate atm. Any help would help as i dont want to get ripped off at the mechanics. thanks I cant seem to find what i need using the search button

How much work is involved in replacing a clutch on a 1999 echo.

Pretty much the same as any other front wheel drive.

Also if a workshop were to do the job what price range would i be looking at I am just after an estimate atm. Any help would help as i dont want to get ripped off at the mechanics.

Budget for approx. $250 for a clutch kit (can be more or less depending on brand and type) and approx. 4-6 workshop hours, plus 3-4 litres of transmission fluid.

They may also hit you up for new hub nuts ($5 each).

how long doest the typical clutch lasts before needing replacement? for everyday driving ofcoz :P

100-150k

looks like i have a fun time ahed of me soon, my yaris is up to 93k... haha

Thanks for the help guys. My daughter has just bought one rather cheap because of the kms on it i think around 150 000 kms and the clutch does not feel to good, still drives ok and changes gears ok but the pedal seems to have a lot of travel before it engages.

There is a lot of work with yaris and echos. You will have to remove the subframe/engine frame. To drop the gearbox. Would recommend to get it done by a professional. Otherwise you can always attempt it yourself and you will learn alot. You will also need a wheel alignment after you reinstall the engine frame.

My guess will be over $1000. Guess you can always shop around for the right price.

There is a lot of work with yaris and echos. You will have to remove the subframe/engine frame. To drop the gearbox. Would recommend to get it done by a professional. Otherwise you can always attempt it yourself and you will learn alot. You will also need a wheel alignment after you reinstall the engine frame.

My guess will be over $1000. Guess you can always shop around for the right price.

wow... that sounds like fun... although on alot of fwd toyotas you need to drop alot of the braces/framework under the engine to get at them.

jezz clutch replace is sooooo complicated and costly... (sometimes i wish i rather have a auto :P)

nah its not that bad...

from the above pic, looks like a piece of p*ss

Mine was a piece of cake to do. You just have to remove the radiator, remove the upper radiator support panel, remove the AC condenser, and remove the engine :P.

New_Picture012-2.jpg

That's still a lot of work just to remove the the gearbox. I guess if you have other things to do, removing engine is the easiest option. But otherwise if its just clutch, then remove the engine frame.

Are you doing any other mods besides the heavyduty clutch? Flywheel maybe?

I apologise, my sick sense of humour did not come across as intended.

I had stripped the car back and was in the process of putting it all back together, hence the easiest way for me was to replace the clutch while it was apart, then attach the gearbox to the motor and swing the whole lot in. You certainly wouldn't do it that way for a normal daily driven car.

Mods? You could say that it has been given just a light tickle ;)

I apologise, my sick sense of humour did not come across as intended.

I had stripped the car back and was in the process of putting it all back together, hence the easiest way for me was to replace the clutch while it was apart, then attach the gearbox to the motor and swing the whole lot in. You certainly wouldn't do it that way for a normal daily driven car.

Mods? You could say that it has been given just a light tickle ;)

details of tickle? and what motor 1NZ or 2NZ?

Stock 2NZ at the moment, 2 x 1NZ's in the shed waiting (one will be put in stock while the other gets built up on the side when funds allow).

The engine and gearbox are about the only thing that's still stock (for the time being anyway) but pretty much everything else has been tickled to some extent, some things alot more than others.

Come up to the rally at Yarraman (look in the Events Section) and find out :) .

Edited by rob323

Well Guys I have booked the little beasty in for the repair I have been quoted around $800 this includes surfacing the flywheel and replacing all fluids ie coolant and an oil change.

Best of luck, price sounds reasonable, there's nothing really tricky on an Echo so you shouldn't have any dramas.

Yeh, $150-$300 on a clutch kit depending on what type/brand you want, a day with someone with the tools and the knowledge, a six pack and some music is a much better proposition to me as well.

But not everyone has the time, skill, tools, intestinal fortitude (nor the spare beer) to be able to do it themselves. :)

Yeh, $150-$300 on a clutch kit depending on what type/brand you want, a day with someone with the tools and the knowledge, a six pack and some music is a much better proposition to me as well.

But not everyone has the time, skill, tools, intestinal fortitude (nor the spare beer) to be able to do it themselves. :)

i figure, if i can do a clutch in a GT4 celica, i can do a clutch in anything!

Agreed. GTiR pulsars would have to be the worst. Old ('86-'90) model Saabs by far the best (takes all of about half an hour).

Agreed. GTiR pulsars would have to be the worst. Old ('86-'90) model Saabs by far the best (takes all of about half an hour).

X-series falcons are pretty easy, you can just drop the entire gearbox out the bottom very easily.