Buying a KLUGER - Advice required.

BigBad64

Hi all, just joined and 1st time poster.

We're looking at trading in the Commodore Wagon early in the New Year and I'm keen on getting a Kluger to get a larger, higher and safer vehicle for the family that will enable the odd trip to the snow etc. In a few years we're looking to maybe get a boat so I want to allow for towing that also. I like the look of the Kluger and am impressed by the "Service Advantage" fixed price servicing. The vehicle will be driven 90% of the time by my wife in an urban environment.

I'm looking at the KX-R AWD 5-seater model as I don't need all the bells and whistles of the KX-S or Grande, and can't justify the extra expense.

What I'm looking for is some advice from all you guys that have "been there - done that" in regards to your experiences in this situation.

What would you do differently next time with regards to the purchase?

Should I stick with new or look around for a 2nd hand one with low km's?

What genuine accessories are worth getting from Toyota?

I'm looking at the tow-bar, mudguards & headlamp covers. I was thinking about the reverse park sensors but are they necessary given the rear camera?

Anyway , all advice is welcome so I can hopefully make an informed decision when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard!

I don't know if you will get the answers that you want. It really comes down to what you want from the vehicle - what your requirements and situation are will determine the answers.

For example - I purchased mine through fleet which means it made sense to get accessories as they cost next to nothing. If I were paying Retail, it might be different. Likewise, the protectors etc.. you need will depend in part on the type of driving you do.

Good luck with it, whatever you choose the Kluger is a good choice! :)

I agree with Matty, I think the answer to your questions can only be answered by you.

My wife and I are about to go shopping for a Kluger in the next couple of weeks (KX-R 7 seaters 2WD), but I have been researching for some months on what we want to get.

We are looking at getting tow bar, nudge bar, side steps, mud guards...all of which you can get aftermarket for a little cheaper than factory price, however the convenience of having all this fitted prior to delivery we're happy to pay for these factory items.

The Kluger should tow your future boat nicely and many here can attest to it's towing and/or off-road abilities.

IMO, if you're happy to shop around post delivery to have aftermarket items fitted (and save a bit of money) then you can look into this option.

If you'd prefer to have everything done by Toyota, then go factory options.

Also, many people here will likely advise that the optional factory audio upgrade is not worth the money.

There is heaps of great info throughout this forum. Spend a few nights going through all the threads and you will learn a load about the Kluger and it will likely answer many of your questions as well.

Good luck with the purchase....

Dave

Check out the thread KX-S or Grande, which things can be done aftermarket? which contains a discussion on aftermarket accessories.

Read through the Kluger Price thread to see what is reasonable.

When you pick up your car be tough with the dealer on any defect, no mater how minor. Do not accept that they will fix it later. Be firm and say you will only pick it up when it is fixed. Remember you have all the power until you hand over the money. Also, dealers often do the hand over inside in a dark area. Insist on the car being taken outside or into a well lit area where you can examine it. If you do a google search yu should be ablle to find info on what to look out for.

There seem to be a lot of the same questions being asked, maybe it's time to start pinning some of the relevant threads so they apear at the start of the forum.

Any thoughts on new versus used with low kilometres, such as a demo model etc?

I guess the cons of used/demo are:

- you can't pick the colour you want (unless you are lucky enough to find one that is the colour you're after)

- it's likely, for a demo model, that it has copped a hiding by people who want to "see what the Kluger can do"

- it's also likely that the sales staff drive it home on occassion and want to "see what the Kluger can do"

But, the pro's are:

- it will be cheaper

- it's already been run-in (unless you find one with REALLY low km's on the clock)

- you don't have to pay things like dealer delivery and rego

- it's pretty much ready to drive off the lot

Dave

Thanks for the replies and I'll look at those threads that were mentioned.

Any thoughts on new versus used with low kilometres, such as a demo model etc?

My Kluger was a demo and to add to what Dave said, you pretty much have to accept the condition it's in. Mine had a few small stone chips and the dealer swirl option, but overall it was less than a new model. In hind sight I probably could have negotiated a better deal and didn't save as much as I should. You also need to remember that the warranty will start from when the dealer registered the car, not from when you drive it out the door.

Edited by Kesawi

I bought a new KX-R 2WD 7 seater back in Nov. 07. Its been a great car, great fuel economy and reliable. IF I get another, I would get the KX-S for the leather & other bits.

I strongly suggest the following factory options:

- rubber floor mat for cargo area;

- carpet mats for front & rear (these fit very well and protect the carpet).

I do recommend the reverse parking sensors, with switch fitted so that you can turn it off while towing. Even with the camera, I find them very useful. I had the dealer fitted ones and have not had a problem.

Headlight protectors - don't know if you can get them after market.

Bonnet protector - might stop those annoying stone chips.

Nudge bar - personal choice, not necessary, same with driving lights but you probably won't need them in the metro area as the standard highbeam is pretty good.

DO NOT buy the weathershields as they are next to useless. The only time they come in handy is if you park it with the window down a centimetre.

DO NOT upgrade the stereo to the 6 stacker with bluetooth - GO aftermarket and get one that works. Worst $800 I spent.

DO keep a close eye on wheel alignment, especially around the 25000 mark as everything starts to loosen up. I had a bad experience with my Toyota dealer who managed to not fix the issue and scrubbed out a pair of tyres but then refused to accept responsibility.

The Kluger is a ripper car, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks guys. Your info and all the other info on here is great.

I've been sitting here combing the forum for about 3 hours straight. Haven't even had lunch yet!

I especially read the 2WD vs AWD thread to try and justify the AWD decision in my own mind given the price difference. The boat is just on the wish-list, and the snow might be only bi-annual if we're lucky. My wife has a straightforward approach to this - "If we get something that big then we're getting 4WD".

One thing I notice is that in the official Toyota specs the fuel economy quoted is the same for 2WD & AWD KX-R models, yet in practice people on the forum seem to get better economy in the 2WD's.

Are Toyota being unrealistic quoting the same fuel economy figure for both models?

Thanks guys. Your info and all the other info on here is great.

I've been sitting here combing the forum for about 3 hours straight. Haven't even had lunch yet!

I especially read the 2WD vs AWD thread to try and justify the AWD decision in my own mind given the price difference. The boat is just on the wish-list, and the snow might be only bi-annual if we're lucky. My wife has a straightforward approach to this - "If we get something that big then we're getting 4WD".

One thing I notice is that in the official Toyota specs the fuel economy quoted is the same for 2WD & AWD KX-R models, yet in practice people on the forum seem to get better economy in the 2WD's.

Are Toyota being unrealistic quoting the same fuel economy figure for both models?

Mate, there are other threads in this forum that talk about fuel consumption. Driving styles, traffic, etc all combine to impact what you actually get. My driving is outer urban, metro main roads, freeways, highways & my overall average for 45000km has been 10.4. I would suggest an AWD would be a little thirstier because of the extra weight & running gear. The split is 50:50, if you can afford it (it was $5000 extra when I bought my car hence why I didn't) get it. B)

Mate, there are other threads in this forum that talk about fuel consumption. Driving styles, traffic, etc all combine to impact what you actually get. My driving is outer urban, metro main roads, freeways, highways & my overall average for 45000km has been 10.4. I would suggest an AWD would be a little thirstier because of the extra weight & running gear. The split is 50:50, if you can afford it (it was $5000 extra when I bought my car hence why I didn't) get it. B)

Cheers Fritz, I'm reading through all those threads you mentioned.

It's a pity all of the posters don't specify if they have a 4WD/AWD or 2WD/FWD model Kluger under their "Toyota Model". That would make things a bit easier to follow.

("FWD" initially confused me, I naively thought that stood for "Four Wheel Drive". What are the accepted descriptions that are supposed to be used for the 2 variants on the forums?)

I have had my KX-R AWD for 18 months. I upgraded from a Commodore wagon to this car and it was the best move I ever made. Initially the 2WD model was "just" within our price range but then we were lucky enough to find an AWD demo for sale. We ended up paying $40,000 on the road (with 7 seats). I am happy that we managed to get an AWD and I have total confidence in the car in wet weather (my commodore was horrible in these conditions bordering on dangerous) For us we felt AWD would be a little safer on the road in the wet and any increase in fuel consumption would be worth it. Maybe speak to a few 2WD owners about wheel spin. I have never had an issue with this in my car ( or maybe I am not trying hard enough :P).

We were pretty tough on the dealer with regards to the condition of the car on delivery, even though it was a demo . There was a spot on the rear quarter where the paint was damaged from an egging incident in the lot and we managed to get them to respray that panel.

Good luck and happy car shopping.

Cheers Fritz, I'm reading through all those threads you mentioned.

It's a pity all of the posters don't specify if they have a 4WD/AWD or 2WD/FWD model Kluger under their "Toyota Model". That would make things a bit easier to follow.

("FWD" initially confused me, I naively thought that stood for "Four Wheel Drive". What are the accepted descriptions that are supposed to be used for the 2 variants on the forums?)

Good question - if you look under the Avatar (picture) on the left with the user names, often they describe their vehicle in their. FWD = Front Wheel Drive, AWD = All Wheel Drive (which is what the Kluger is considered) & 4WD = the bush bashing 'real' off-roaders. Most of the thirstier cars mentioned appear to be AWDs in metropolitan areas. Remember that 11 litres per 100km is the overall average including both country & metro so don't be surprised at higher readings from those stuck in peak hour traffic. The type of fuel you use in my experience makes little difference, yes 98 will give you slightly better consumption but at 15cents per litre extra it is not worth it. E10 - jury is still out on that one but it would appear to use slightly more (my experience about 0.5litre per 100km). In NSW next year, we won't have much choice because the State is legislating that all standard unleaded will be the E10. :angry:

I was thinking about the reverse park sensors but are they necessary given the rear camera?

If you're used to rear parking sensors, put them on. The camera has a fisheye type effect so you can't really judge distances when reversing. It's more to see if any children/bikes/pets are behing the car. Very difficult to reverse using the screen. The back window is quite narrow too so that can make reversing quite difficult.

I bought some 'new in the box' Mazda 6 sensors off ebay for about $50 and installed them myself so there's always that option. The silver matches up well so it was pretty straight forward.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Another query, if I want to take the Kluger to be serviced at the local Toyota dealer, but I bought it somewhere else, do I still get the Toyota Advantage fixed price servicing?

I believe the Toyota Advantage fixed pricing is Australia-wide, so you can take it to any Toyota dealership.

One thing to remember though (which was pointed out when negotiating purchase of our Kluger), is that the $170 fixed price covers parts and labour that are associated with the service you are having on your car.

For example, if you take your car in for it's 1000Km service, the $170 covers any parts and labour to fulfill the 1000km service (which is listed in the service book).

Should something need repairing/replacing that is not specified to be done for that service schedule, you will pay in addition to that "fixed price" - including any labour associated.

I thought this was worth mentioning as some people may think that $170 means anything done within that service is taken care of - but that is not the case.

Dave

When you order Toyota Genuine Accessories as part of a new vehicle sale eg nudge bar, parking sensors, tow bar etc, are they fitted at the factory as the car is built or are they put on after the car arrives at the dealership?

Edited by BigBad64

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just about got a deal nailed down for the new Kluger and just need to decide on side-steps.

Can a few of those people who have them tell me their thoughts?

If you got a new Kluger would you have them on again?

Do they ever hit you in the shins getting in/out? (As one salesman advised me)

I've just about got a deal nailed down for the new Kluger and just need to decide on side-steps.

Can a few of those people who have them tell me their thoughts?

If you got a new Kluger would you have them on again?

Do they ever hit you in the shins getting in/out? (As one salesman advised me)

No side step for me, even my girls are 5 and 3 year old. They love climbing up the car.

Pricey for the Toyota version, much cheaper aftermarket. I opted nothing and still won't pay for it.

The only good thing I have is the tow bar, although I am not towing anything atm.

The tyres shopping is on your list very very soon. So forget about extras/options. Coz the stock ones are at best 40000km in life span, no matter what you do with alignment (even you have aligned every 10000km). Mine is at 43000km and if you measure anywhere it is bearly over 3mm of thread (just legal). I rotate tyres every 10000km.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with advice.

I signed up for a Merlot Red KX-R 7-seater AWD today with quite a few accessories. (Including side-steps)

I'm happy with the deal and looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks time. :D

Cheers.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with advice.

I signed up for a Merlot Red KX-R 7-seater AWD today with quite a few accessories. (Including side-steps)

I'm happy with the deal and looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks time. :D

Cheers.

Welcome to the "ordered and awaiting delivery" club :)

Ours just arrived in to the dealer yesterday and we pick it up next Friday....so only seven more sleeps to go...LOL

Welcome to the "ordered and awaiting delivery" club :)

Ours just arrived in to the dealer yesterday and we pick it up next Friday....so only seven more sleeps to go...LOL

Thanks Dave.

One query, we currently have the basic RACV Roadside Care on the Commodore we're trading in.

Do Toyota provide any breakdown assist service as standard so that the RACV membership wouldn't be required?

I know on the new little Mazda 2 I bought 12 months ago it had "Mazda Assist" which made the RACV cover unnecessary.