Torsion bar and Swaybar

vvti16v

hi Guys,

looking at the UR web site they sell Torsion bar which I alway call this swaybar and they also sell a rear sway bar, which is the correct term???.......i have a whiteline rear swaybar atm and would it help to also add a SWAY BAR (19MM) Code:UR-AR19-076???

thanks.

ZZE - REAR TORSION BAR (2 POINT) Code:UR-RT2-578

2lift07.jpg

ZZE - REAR SWAY BAR (19MM) Code:UR-AR19-076

28018o1.jpg

hi Guys,

looking at the UR web site they sell Torsion bar which I alway call this swaybar and they also sell a rear sway bar, which is the correct term???

Well they are actually called anti-roll bars if you want to get techincal, they don't do any swaying.

Stiffening these up is only required if you want to give the car more oversteer, but be warned it can cause snap oversteer if your a bit ham fisted.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above but these look like they are neither, just "braces" they don't look like they will do much bracing though. Although it is hard for me to see with the available pictures.

For an anti anti-roll bar to work it needs an end on either side of the vehicle on the suspension parts and also be mounted to the body on either end. The closer the bar is to being a straight bar the more predictable the response. Thats why racing cars have just spring steel rods with ends on them that are adjustable in the leverage point or of a shape that can be rotated with a blade shape like the Australian "super cars"

Edited by Sam_Q

hi Guys,

looking at the UR web site they sell Torsion bar which I alway call this swaybar and they also sell a rear sway bar, which is the correct term???.......i have a whiteline rear swaybar atm and would it help to also add a SWAY BAR (19MM) Code:UR-AR19-076???

thanks.

2lift07.jpg

28018o1.jpg

I agree with the above but these look like they are neither, just "braces" they don't look like they will do much bracing though.

I can't agree with you on that one, any twisting of the rear torsion beam will result in inducing torsion in those bars. In effect, they help stiffen the rear torsion beam (which in it's self is one giant sway bar).

For an anti anti-roll bar to work it needs an end on either side of the vehicle on the suspension parts and also be mounted to the body on either end.
They do not necessarily have to be mounted to the body, it will depend on the design.

I agree with the above but these look like they are neither, just "braces" they don't look like they will do much bracing though.

I can't agree with you on that one, any twisting of the rear torsion beam will result in inducing torsion in those bars. In effect, they help stiffen the rear torsion beam (which in it's self is one giant sway bar).

I'm going to have to agree with Rob too. I prefer to think of the lever arm being the trailing arm.

They do work and there is a difference that can be felt between 19, 21, 22 and 23mm; I know because I own all 4 for setup adjustment :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
They do work and there is a difference that can be felt between 19, 21, 22 and 23mm; I know because I own all 4 for setup adjustment :lol:

I agree with SuperDave on the handling benefits, just fitted the whiteline rear anit sway bar (22mm) to replace the stock rear bar (21mm which must be hollow given its lack of weight).

There is a definite difference for the better in how the car now handles.

I was looking at the TRD 23mm unit (wonder if it is hollow to) but then the whiteline one turned up cheap so I snapped it up and love it, best $150 I've spent on the car.

The rear bar on these cars is similar to how the early Holden toranas and HQ holdens fitted rear bars that only connected between trailing arms and had no separte connection to the bodywork like most bars these days and how the fronts work on the corolla.

I can supply either the whiteline rear sway bar or the Ultra racing rear sway and lower brace if you require them. I am now officially an Ultra Racing dealer in Qld and am happy to help TOCAU members out with stuff.

hi Guys,

thanks.

2lift07.jpg

28018o1.jpg

Hi maybe I' wrong but seems to me all that bar does, is change your car from independent rear suspension to non independent rear suspension, as the bar does exactly what a differential does in a non independent rear wheel drive car, suspension wise..

28018o1.jpg

Hi maybe I' wrong but seems to me all that bar does, is change your car from independent rear suspension to non independent rear suspension, as the bar does exactly what a differential does in a non independent rear wheel drive car, suspension wise..

The ZZE# corolla's aren't independent rear suspemsion anyway they are Beam axle and the black rod inside the U shaped beam is the factory anti sway bar.

The "Beam" axle acts very much like the solid diff housing found in a lot of early corollas and is cheap to manufacture.