400km/h Bugatti

anyone heard much on the new bugatti veyron?

prototype broke 400km/h!!!! 100km/h in 2.9s :o

16-cylinder quad-turbocharged

750kW :)

looks like it'll be coming out at the end of the year and it's literally gonna cost millions aha...

the back of it looks like a ferrari to me, anyways just lobbing this in to see who's interested

anyone heard much on the new bugatti veyron?

prototype broke 400km/h!!!!  100km/h in 2.9s  :o

16-cylinder quad-turbocharged

750kW  :)

looks like it'll be coming out at the end of the year and it's literally gonna cost millions aha...

the back of it looks like a ferrari to me, anyways just lobbing this in to see who's interested

that's amazing... the back also looks like a 350z!... well not the lights, they're deffinately farrari but the way it curves... i can see these things on the roads, if anyone can afford it of course.

im guessing it's italian made, from the name of the company? bugatti? and 16 cylinders...wow!

the square exhaust looks a lil funny... but what doesn't in a concept car.

wow...1,250nm of torque!!!

amazing...

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article....&vf=2&bg=1&pp=0

The 400kmh supercar

The Sydney Morning Herald

Friday May 13 2005

It's official: Bugatti is about to claim the title of the world's fastest road car, reports TOBY HAGON.

Legendary sports car maker Bugatti is to produce the world's fastest road car after a prototype last week exceeded 400kmh on a German test track, silencing critics who predicted the car would never achieve its ambitious goal.

The multi million-dollar Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - its name refers to the 16-cylinder, quad-turbocharged engine that has more power than a Formula One car - achieved the feat on a Volkswagen test track.

The German car giant bought the famous French Bugatti brand in 1998 and has been working on re-establishing its supercar credentials ever since.

Bugatti says the 750kW test car, one of 11 prototypes developed leading up to the planned launch of the two-seater vehicle, achieved the speed "several times".

From that speed (and assuming its brakes retard the car at a similar level to other supercars), the Veyron would take 750 metres to stop.

As well as the seemingly ludicrous top speed, the all-wheel-drive Veyron can reach 100kmh in just 2.9 seconds.

Such performance raises questions about the safety implications of a car capable of travelling at four times the legal speed limit, although - just as Ferraris almost never reach their potential on public roads - Bugatti says such daring will most likely be left to race tracks or private roads to which well-heeled owners would have access.

Reaching the 400kmh milestone was a relief for Bugatti, which delayed the Veyron project more than two years due to development setbacks.

Customer deliveries of the Veyron were originally slated for 2003 but overheating problems, concerns about high-speed stability and stringent quality standards set by Volkswagen made the project run late. The first cars are now expected to be delivered to customers by the end of this year, according to Bugatti president Dr Thomas Bscher.

Bugatti says it will cost 1 million euros ($1.65 million) to buy a Veyron. Only 300 will be built over six years. Add GST, import duty and luxury car tax and the price of owning a Veyron would be about $3 million, depending on the exchange rate. Which, along with the fact the Veyron will only be built as a left-hand- drive, may explain why no Australians have dipped into their savings just yet.

post-158-1116032655_thumb.jpg

Well I guess the engineers at Bugatti must have had one big sigh of relief.

Bugatti management was shooting their mouth off that the car would be capable of 400km/h before they even knew they could achieve it.

As a result, prospective buyers actually put a deposit down for one with the condition it would actually reach 400km/h ( I guess it must be a point of conversation at the country club "My Bugatti Veiron is faster than your McClaren F1").

Since that time the engineers have had to work their butt off to actually do it to ensure the company does keep it's promise.