got a whining problem

SZR

it's had it since i test drove it, but I've been having a good think about it and it can't be healthy. Every time I accelerate from 1st gear through to 4th the engine/trans/drive whines almost like a super charger. Any idea what this could be?

The car drives completely fine other than that. Should I be worried??

supercharger or....wife :P But seriously, a timing belt that has been tensioned way too tight can sound like its got a supercharger on it. Instead of letting the spring tensioner tension the belt some mechanics tend to lever it tighter with a screw driver or bar.

Sound like this at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubydLtwPDqo

Edited by trentmeyer23

haha im 19.... no wife :P just the girlfriend

ummmm DreadAngel, that actually sounds like it could be my problem! Shifting is slowly becoming more and more difficult. I get stuck trying to get into 1st, especially when just sitting at the lights. Is this an expensive problem to fix? haha

btw, yes it is manual

it is extremely rare for the release bearing to fail, and even when they are just starting to fail, they have negligible impact on shifting. If the noise is noticeable only when you push the clutch in, thats where I'd start looking, when the clutch is out, the release bearing should not be be in contact so thats not the noise

you need to carefully check if the noise is engine rev related, or road speed related

shifting problems in celicas are common and we are fixing the gearbox syncros in them constantly. changing the clutch is relatively easy if you have the right gear.

it is extremely rare for the release bearing to fail, and even when they are just starting to fail, they have negligible impact on shifting. If the noise is noticeable only when you push the clutch in, thats where I'd start looking, when the clutch is out, the release bearing should not be be in contact so thats not the noise

you need to carefully check if the noise is engine rev related, or road speed related

shifting problems in celicas are common and we are fixing the gearbox syncros in them constantly. changing the clutch is relatively easy if you have the right gear.

Just out of curiosity, roughly how much would one be looking at for getting an S53 reconditioned? And what sort of work would be involved... synchros obviously, but what else would a rebuilder look for?