AE 112R CAI Problems

Hi All

I recently bought myself a AE112R Conquest Sedan

So Far I have done the rims and have a big sound system going, now I am moving onto the CAI, im just needing advice where to put the Cai so it isnt sucking up hot air, is it possible to get it down under the battery, as this is the furthest I can see getting it away from the hot engine, any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated :help::idea:

Cheers Matt\

post-17078-1262920230_thumb.jpg

post-17078-1262920556_thumb.jpg

Can't guarantee it being defect-free, but it's out of the engine-bay and drawing cold air, just watch out for deep water

(no it's not an AE112, but the AE102 has an almost identical engine bay so will still be applicable)

P1060137.jpg

P1060143.jpg

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

filter cant be exposed in engine bay. like the pics above. in the front bar is legal because its out of the engine bay. if you want it in the engine bay you have to have it inside something. one of those pod covers or what ever they are. IMO, do the front bar mounted cai! ;)

you can also just have K&N panel filter and just re-route new piping from front bar to the airbox removing the resonator.

here's a pic of where in front bar you route from... to remove the cover push up and pull out. Also explains how to do it in the manual.

th_IMG_0574.jpg

Thanks for the replies, i just needed to know cos im on my p's and have been told that if I have a CAI the boys in blue will defect it because its a performance upgrade and others have told me that it cant be defected just because I have my P's and have a CAI. Do you guys know if either are completely true or it is just a matter of luck and not getting caught?

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for the replies, i just needed to know cos im on my p's and have been told that if I have a CAI the boys in blue will defect it because its a performance upgrade and others have told me that it cant be defected just because I have my P's and have a CAI. Do you guys know if either are completely true or it is just a matter of luck and not getting caught?

Cheers

Matt

Have a read there mate. I take it you are on P1s?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...ns_nov_2007.pdf

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/index.html

http://www.roadsmart.com.au/laws/licensing...ions/index.html

Here's a how to from twincam.org for AE112

http://www.twincam.info/index.php?showtopic=21516&hl=

Thanks for this Im gonna do it now, but rather than take one grille off i am going to take both off and replace with a aluminium mesh soit matches and the CAI still gets good air.This should work shouldnt it

Cheers

Matt

Have a read there mate. I take it you are on P1s?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...ns_nov_2007.pdf

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/index.html

http://www.roadsmart.com.au/laws/licensing...ions/index.html

Yeah on P1's, could you tell me what sort of sound im looking at from a 2" sports exhaust from the cat. I have got a cannon to put on it but dont want a horrible sounding exhaust any advice on exhausts within the $400 mark?

Thanks

Also the sensor that goes into the side of the factory airbox, what does it do and how do i put it into my CAI to function properly?

Thanks

Intake air-temperature sensor, if you're going to get decent cold air from the intake you need to plug it back in, otherwise the ECU will be seeing a different temperature to what is really entering the engine (ECU uses manifold pressure, throttle position and air temperature to work out mass air flow into the engine and thus how much fuel to inject).

Take a look at my photos, you can see the sensor and bung plugged back into the pipe about 30cm before the throttle body, just drill a hole in whatever pipe you end up using and pull the whole sensor, plug and rubber bung out of the airbox and insert into the new hole.

Ok so today I took off the grille under the headlight just to see what every thing looked like and to see whether i could do the CAI myself. Now my Question is how do I make the Pod filter fit into the space behind that small grille and just infront of the coolant tank.

Ok, I had a quick look today with the grills off and there is a plastic tank behind it, What is it?

I know the questions im asking are probably stupid but i just want to be sure I do it right the first time and as I have only had the car for two months im not sure where everything is

Ok, I had a quick look today with the grills off and there is a plastic tank behind it, What is it?

I know the questions im asking are probably stupid but i just want to be sure I do it right the first time and as I have only had the car for two months im not sure where everything is

What is it connected to? I would say it's an intake resonator (there to reduce induction noise) if it is attached to the intake, or the windscreen washer bottle... but that one should be half obvious.

What is it connected to? I would say it's an intake resonator (there to reduce induction noise) if it is attached to the intake, or the windscreen washer bottle... but that one should be half obvious.

No, windscreen washer bottle is on the other side of engine bay this one is directly under the battery on the side the factory intake is the plastic box is empty, is this the intake resonator. if you look at posts in this thread it has pics of their car Cai done and where the pipe goes in under the fuse box next to the battery there is an empty plastic box under, can any one tell me what it is and whether it is the intake resonator, the box doesnt appear to be connected to do anything

It's an intake resonator, it connects to the underside of your intake snorkel just behind the battery underneath the fuse box - you remove it and the snorkel (as well as the airbox etc), and use the resulting hole in the guard to run your CAI pipe through. If you look at my photos you can see the hole just behind the battery where the pipe runs.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

yes as the guys have said above it's an intake resonator...

best way to remove it is...

- have your wheels full lock to the right or jack the car up and take the left front wheel off... which ever you can be bothered with :P

- remove left headlight

- take out the plastic bolt/plugs on the inner splash guard and under the front bumper...

- from memory there's 1 or 2 bolts that hold the resonator there...

- then just juggle to get the resonator out the bottom of the guards (if you didn't take the wheel off).

here's the only photoes i could find...

post-5097-1263098585_thumb.jpg

post-5097-1263098664_thumb.jpg

It's an intake resonator, it connects to the underside of your intake snorkel just behind the battery underneath the fuse box - you remove it and the snorkel (as well as the airbox etc), and use the resulting hole in the guard to run your CAI pipe through. If you look at my photos you can see the hole just behind the battery where the pipe runs.

Thanks, I thought that was what it was but wasnt sure so thought I should ask before I take it out.