cruise control dead!!

watersmj

Hey, need help from you guys. Last night, the cruise control stopped working all-together on my aurion on the highway:unsure: . When I turn on the switch, the light turns on, but when I try to set, it just doesnt set and the car starts to decelerate as I remove foot from accelerator. Did anyone experience this in aurion before? Could it just be a fuse problem? Need some info/tips pls.

If the "CRUISE" light is illuminated, then there will be no blown fuses.

These are the only situations that will cause cruise control to be turned off:

• The ECM cancels the cruise control system when the brake pedal is depressed and the ECM receives a stop light switch signal.

• The ECM cancels the cruise control system when the shift lever is moved from the D to the N position or the transmission is shifted to the 3rd, 2nd, or 1st gear with the shift lever in the S position, and the ECM receives a park/neutral position switch signal.

• The ECM cancels the cruise control system when the clutch pedal is depressed and the ECM receives a clutch switch signal. (I believe this applies to some models in your region)

And these are the only conditions that won't allow you to set cruise control:

2. LIMIT CONTROL

(a) Low speed limit

The lowest possible limit of the speed setting range is set at approximately 40 km/h (25 mph). The cruise control system cannot be set when the driving vehicle speed is below the low speed limit. Cruise control operation will be automatically canceled but the stored vehicle speed will be retained when the vehicle speed drops below the low speed limit 40 km/h (25 mph) while the cruise control is in operation.

(b) High speed limit

The highest possible limit of the speed setting range is set at approximately 200 km/h (125 mph). The cruise control system cannot be set when the driving vehicle speed is over the high speed limit. Also, + (ACCEL)/RES (RESUME) cannot be used to increase speed beyond the high speed limit.

So if none of the above is true (ie. you didn't press on the brakes or have it in S mode on third) and you aren't trying to set it while going too fast or too slow, then I would say there is probably something not right with the system. One issue it could be is the cruise control ECU is constantly receiving +12v to indicate the brakes have been applied. This can prevent it from being set. But because the cruise control ECU is built into the Main ECU, unless you are game to test it out, then just take it to Toyota.

However, with that said... the sruise control has an Auto Cancel feature as a failsafe and the cruise control light flashes in the even of a problem. So there's something to think about since I would assume your indicator isn't flashing:

While driving with cruise control, the ECM activates AUTO CANCEL of the cruise control system when a malfunction occurs in one of the following: vehicle speed sensors, stop light switch, or other related parts. When AUTO CANCEL is activated, the CRUISE main indicator light outputs the blinking pattern shown to the left. At the same time, data of the malfunction is stored as a DTC.

If the "CRUISE" light is illuminated, then there will be no blown fuses.

These are the only situations that will cause cruise control to be turned off:

• The ECM cancels the cruise control system when the brake pedal is depressed and the ECM receives a stop light switch signal.

• The ECM cancels the cruise control system when the shift lever is moved from the D to the N position or the transmission is shifted to the 3rd, 2nd, or 1st gear with the shift lever in the S position, and the ECM receives a park/neutral position switch signal.

• The ECM cancels the cruise control system when the clutch pedal is depressed and the ECM receives a clutch switch signal. (I believe this applies to some models in your region)

And these are the only conditions that won't allow you to set cruise control:

2. LIMIT CONTROL

(a) Low speed limit

The lowest possible limit of the speed setting range is set at approximately 40 km/h (25 mph). The cruise control system cannot be set when the driving vehicle speed is below the low speed limit. Cruise control operation will be automatically canceled but the stored vehicle speed will be retained when the vehicle speed drops below the low speed limit 40 km/h (25 mph) while the cruise control is in operation.

(b) High speed limit

The highest possible limit of the speed setting range is set at approximately 200 km/h (125 mph). The cruise control system cannot be set when the driving vehicle speed is over the high speed limit. Also, + (ACCEL)/RES (RESUME) cannot be used to increase speed beyond the high speed limit.

So if none of the above is true (ie. you didn't press on the brakes or have it in S mode on third) and you aren't trying to set it while going too fast or too slow, then I would say there is probably something not right with the system. One issue it could be is the cruise control ECU is constantly receiving +12v to indicate the brakes have been applied. This can prevent it from being set. But because the cruise control ECU is built into the Main ECU, unless you are game to test it out, then just take it to Toyota.

However, with that said... the sruise control has an Auto Cancel feature as a failsafe and the cruise control light flashes in the even of a problem. So there's something to think about since I would assume your indicator isn't flashing:

While driving with cruise control, the ECM activates AUTO CANCEL of the cruise control system when a malfunction occurs in one of the following: vehicle speed sensors, stop light switch, or other related parts. When AUTO CANCEL is activated, the CRUISE main indicator light outputs the blinking pattern shown to the left. At the same time, data of the malfunction is stored as a DTC.

Thanks for the reply mate. However, none of the above situations is occuring. I use cruise control almost everyday on my way to office on the highway and only since yesterday this problem occured. I am going at 110-120km/h in "D" without touching the brakes and trying to set the cruise as I have always been, but its like the cruise control isn't there at all. Anyway, thanks to your feedback, I wont be checking any fuses since the cruise light is coming on. I guess since the car is under warranty , I will have the dealer guys check it out, but the irritating fact for me is that I will have to get a rental during the time they examine it , and that can be expensive! Thanks for the reply.