Hi- new 'rolla owner- Brisbane

Rocketeer1

hey hey

About to pick up a 1995 AE102X (I think is the model designation) corolla, 1.8 litre 5 speed in white, done 240,000k's- ex old lady's car. Stock as a rock, factory tints, CD and a/c with steel wheels. She looks her age, and is reasonably weathered. $3k with a few months rego

More into bikes than cars nowadays, had my bike knocked off, with the insurance payout eaten away by fees, excess, this and that, all in all I ended up with enough cash to buy a ****box bike, or an older car, and this one came up at the right time. She's got more k's than i would usually like, but she does everything right, has been serviced regularly and pulls as well as you would expect a 4 cyl to, with reasonably tight gearbox, and fair handling for her age.

Joined the forum to pick up vehicle specific tech tips, what everyone is doing with them, while deciding since its an inbetween car, how far I go modding it. It just erks me that I am back in a small standard car- last car was a VT Berlina- which is still sitting in the back yard (never buy another holden again!!) Have a single din Kenwood deck to go in, no doubt in a week will have all speakers replaced and possibly plan a sub in box (not stupidly loud, just nice) and will be picking up a UHF. Considering 15-16" alloys, possibly full exhaust, possibly cold air intake, possibly shocks possibly lower, but definantly upgrading earthing points. If the compression shows up as being good enough may consider pulling the head off, shaving, flowing and port matching. Will be upgrading the headlights- at least Phillips +80's, likely go bi-35w 6000k HID's, and replace filament bulbs with LED's as I get to them, mostly parkers, interior and reverse lights. Considering spotties, but shouldnt need them with HID's. Do a lot of country night driving at times, where brakes, tyres and lighting is paramount.

First things first- within the first week I plan on changing all fluids (never changed clutch fluid before- so have to read up on that) even though she has just been serviced. I am dead set anal about servicing, and fluids/ lubricants. Pretty sure its on Castrol or some other cheap commercial lube, so that is going straight away. Also will be changing brake pads all round soon as I can to QFM- found a compound that was brilliant on the bommadore, and a/c service including change over receiver dryer.

That's my problem- I am an ideas man, and overcomplicate things at times, and yeah, I have a real problem keeping things stock......and leaving things untouched. By all means I know she is never going to be anything special, but yeah, cant help myself.....

On a side note, I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on oils and lubricants, through a few years of research and oil industry training. Any questions I am happy to try to answer to an intermediate level.

See you around

Brad

Edited by Rocketeer1

Oh, I am so sorry about the commodore......lololol

Yes I ride, except my bike was stolen a few weeks ago, hence the 'new' rolla- had a 2005 CBR600RR. Didnt want to go further into debt for a new bike, didnt want an old one, so made the choice to cop a small car for a bit and go from there.

Thanks, yeah she was frikkin awesome- specially since I had ploughed a bit of cash and effort into her over the last year and a half- everything from oil testing for engine longevity, to pipe, rear sets, levers, screen, sticky ***** tyres, HID's, flushmounts, etc etc. Oh well, least I didnt actually write it off....

Just sux cause I was looking forward to getting back onto Queensland Raceway with the new tyres, and start pushing times down.....

What are you looking at upgrading to?

Edited by Rocketeer1

My friend has a Suzuki SV650 that I'll be able to buy fairly cheaply off him.

I love the look of Supersport Bikes, but I don't mind the nakeds at all.

Figured a V-twin will be good for the riding I do.

Your 600 sounded like a weapon! You got any pics of it?