Legalities of engine swap

Hey guys i was wondering about the legalities of an engine swap in particular a 2.4 camry block into a zre and then maybe supercharging said engine. Any one know any sites i could look at too see the rules and requirements? The rta site confuses me so much.

Chur, Will

Hey guys i was wondering about the legalities of an engine swap in particular a 2.4 camry block into a zre and then maybe supercharging said engine. Any one know any sites i could look at too see the rules and requirements? The rta site confuses me so much.

Chur, Will

afaik if you are on your p's you cant do any engine swaps at all, or fi

Chur, Will

afaik if you are on your p's you cant do any engine swaps at all, or fi

Yeah , i will have my full licence in novemeber so i want to do the reasearch and stuff now so i can get straight into it round next year, if its legal ofcourse. And also save up some funds i would estimate 15k?

not sure on legalities re. importing but i would investigate importing a Blade....sell of yours and im guessing the diff would be around the 15k ?

but you would prob be the first to import one and therefore would be the longer and more costly process prob

not sure on legalities re. importing but i would investigate importing a Blade....sell of yours and im guessing the diff would be around the 15k ?

but you would prob be the first to import one and therefore would be the longer and more costly process prob

i wouldnt mind having the v6 blade tbh.

first of all, is this even possible? (not sure about zre engine bay sizes)

Well I guess the question is if the American Matrix XRS has the same engine bay size as the Australian ZRE Corolla sedan.... and then if the sedan has the same engine bay size as the hatch. If yes, then it would be possible:

DSCN0277.jpg

it will fit, casue i read somewhere that toyota designed the corolla so it could fit a v6. having said that the 2az engine is the other wat around ie the exhaust manifold at the front. does this mean the engine spins the opposite way?

does this mean the engine spins the opposite way?

You need to think with a little bit of common sense here. If the 2AZ is facing the same direction (ie. the gearbox is on the left and side of the engine) as the 2ZR, then the engine obviously has to be spinning in the same direction. Think about it.

All that's different is the exhaust valves are on the opposite side to the intake valves. With respect to the engine, having these on either side is not the factor that determines engine rotation.

Start searching ---> http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/veh...ards/index.html

I can't remember exactly the rule but there was a rule about I think 10% or 15% increase is okay with engineering certificate and beyond that I'm not sure...

Alternatively perhaps contact the RTA about it :)

Edited by DreadAngel

does this mean the engine spins the opposite way?

You need to think with a little bit of common sense here. If the 2AZ is facing the same direction (ie. the gearbox is on the left and side of the engine) as the 2ZR, then the engine obviously has to be spinning in the same direction. Think about it.

All that's different is the exhaust valves are on the opposite side to the intake valves. With respect to the engine, having these on either side is not the factor that determines engine rotation.

cool that has been bugging me for a while!

Edit: ive yet to find anything usefull on the rta site but a google search came up with this "In NSW you can go 15% over the largest capacity motor fitted to that model before it needs engineering, but any swap requires a blue slip."

Edited by Ascendant Rice

You'll want to read this:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...ns_nov_2007.pdf

IMO you'd be better off just buying a car with the performance you really want. It'll almost always work out cheaper in the long run, not to mention the headaches involved in engine swaps. You also have to remember that when it comes time to sell the typical Corolla buyer isn't after a rocket ship, most want a small, cheap, reliable granny car. You drop a V6 or similar in there and you've pretty much told most of your potential buyers to look elsewhere.