Corolla- 7A-FE 1.8 litre twin cam (1995)

hey hey

Not familiar with these engines as yet, and will be chasing up a workshop manual shortly, but anyone know off hand- if these are an underbucket shim valve system- so adjusting the valves means measure, calculate shim, cams out etc etc? Heard a little of what sounds like valve train noise mostly when cold, so its going on the list of things to do.....240,000k's and who knows if they have been touched...I know the timing belt has been, but who knows if these have been overlooked....

Also if I do change these over myself, anyone here interested in a write up?

cheers

hey hey

Not familiar with these engines as yet, and will be chasing up a workshop manual shortly, but anyone know off hand- if these are an underbucket shim valve system- so adjusting the valves means measure, calculate shim, cams out etc etc? Heard a little of what sounds like valve train noise mostly when cold, so its going on the list of things to do.....240,000k's and who knows if they have been touched...I know the timing belt has been, but who knows if these have been overlooked....

cheers

Pretty sure they are shim-on-bucket like the rest of the A-series...

In saying that, my 7AFE has done 325,000km and as far as I know the valvetrain has never been touched (my dad was the original from-new owner) and it's still nice and tight and quiet. Head has never been taken off either.

• 5 months later...
hey hey

cheers

Pretty sure they are shim-on-bucket like the rest of the A-series...

In saying that, my 7AFE has done 325,000km and as far as I know the valvetrain has never been touched (my dad was the original from-new owner) and it's still nice and tight and quiet. Head has never been taken off either.

I think u have to have the full serviceing for the timing belt at 100ks

have it done

should solve ur probs

definitely shim on top of bucket. clearances can go tight (from valves pounding into seats), or loose from valve stem tip wear and/or shims getting worn centres. fixed hundreds

• Like 1