ZRE exhaust results

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same situation as Johnny above. Was going to get either an '99/'00 STi or an Evo7 but in the end chose not to.

Handling is more important than power, click below & keep reading. He's in the Silvia/WRX times..

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...st&p=373432

Just another point.. :)

Peter.

Btw, where were you last catchup Johnny? :P

1. I was sleeping like a baby and..

2. I was so shattered when i found out you guys met up!

Next time for sure mate!

• 1 year later...

I had the exhaust completed today. We went with a custom 2.5" stainless system, and JunBL DTM rear box.

Heres what we removed:

removed.jpg

After running the car with the rear muffler and rear section off, we realized that the big bomb looking thing was a giant resonator and another cat. With the cat on and tail section off, the system ran as quite as it did with the tail section on. So, i opted to remove the giant resonator... We ran the rest of the system, and put a medium JunBl resonator in its place.

The result idled well, nice and throaty, deep. I took it for a test drive, and Jeeeebus, its was like a full NA race system!! sooo bloody loud, it almost shook my teeth from my jaw on decel and punching it. Tone/note was fantastic, but volume was over the top. No good, well it would be ok if thats what your after, and im not 16yrs old, so we had to change it. We put the giant sausage back in, and it shut 'er up good and proper. Still nice neat rumble at idle, and sme but quiet note at full throttle. I was finally happy :)

exhuaust1.jpg

exhuaust.jpg

The results:

I had KPM do a power run before and after the system change. Top kW gain was around 4kW at peak, but i gained around 6-7kW mid range, and smoothed out the curve quite a bit. Not bad really. Around what i expected. Gain of around 10-12Nm of torque. Not too shabby either.

dynoresults.jpg

Throttle response in still as sharp.

Im happy with the results, and being one of the first to venture into the unknown land of ZRE full systems, it worked out well. Im happy with the look too, if i get bored of it later i can always go for double walled tips...

nice setup! thats quite a big gain you got on your system ? what engine do you have ? the 2ZR-FE ?

ZRE owners with cat-back systems,what have you removed from the following pic(standard system) the torpedo,the canister next to it or the one at the end?or replaced the lot? and where is your sensor plugged into..

I'm guessing the cat which sits up near the fire wall is left in..

ecb5fbbb.jpg

I had the exhaust completed today. We went with a custom 2.5" stainless system, and JunBL DTM rear box.

Heres what we removed:

removed.jpg

After running the car with the rear muffler and rear section off, we realized that the big bomb looking thing was a giant resonator and another cat. With the cat on and tail section off, the system ran as quite as it did with the tail section on. So, i opted to remove the giant resonator... We ran the rest of the system, and put a medium JunBl resonator in its place.

The result idled well, nice and throaty, deep. I took it for a test drive, and Jeeeebus, its was like a full NA race system!! sooo bloody loud, it almost shook my teeth from my jaw on decel and punching it. Tone/note was fantastic, but volume was over the top. No good, well it would be ok if thats what your after, and im not 16yrs old, so we had to change it. We put the giant sausage back in, and it shut 'er up good and proper. Still nice neat rumble at idle, and sme but quiet note at full throttle. I was finally happy :)

exhuaust1.jpg

exhuaust.jpg

The results:

I had KPM do a power run before and after the system change. Top kW gain was around 4kW at peak, but i gained around 6-7kW mid range, and smoothed out the curve quite a bit. Not bad really. Around what i expected. Gain of around 10-12Nm of torque. Not too shabby either.

dynoresults.jpg

Im happy with the results, and being one of the first to venture into the unknown land of ZRE full systems, it worked out well. Im happy with the look too, if i get bored of it later i can always go for double walled tips...

nice setup! thats quite a big gain you got on your system ? what engine do you have ? the 2ZR-FE ?

Comparing your one (without CAI, header) and johnnieboi's one http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=15718

Both start to lean from 4-6k rpm, and compare the one with Yaris stock

http://moe.rampage-guys.net/stuff/toyota/stokt07/palme_yaris.pdf (German, use google translate to change to english)

It also lean from 4-6krpm

Not sure if it is evident enough to show the lean is not due to incorrect AFR ratio, or otherwise the stock curve should not lean from 4-6krpm...

Also, not sure if it is related with torque, because our car has maximum torque around 4krpm

With the cat convertor sitting so close to the header, I wonder whether it is a limiting factor as well, I need more research on this..

PS John and others, I am not using factory resonator (torpedo), with the cat back, they gave me another one

Edited by ben yip

ecb5fbbb.jpg

John, the pic you posted still seems to me a non OEM exhaust, its been fiddled with. From what i can see in the pic, they have removed the "torpedo" and replaced it with the muffler/harmonic resonator thats normally at the end of the exhaust. Also they have added another cat before this.

Heres what we removed:

removed.jpg

exhuaust1.jpg

exhuaust.jpg

The results:

dynoresults.jpg

Comparing your one (without CAI, header) and johnnieboi's one http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=15718

Both start to lean from 4-6k rpm, and compare the one with Yaris stock

http://moe.rampage-guys.net/stuff/toyota/stokt07/palme_yaris.pdf (German, use google translate to change to english)

It also lean from 4-6krpm

Not sure if it is evident enough to show the lean is not due to incorrect AFR ratio, or otherwise the stock curve should not lean from 4-6krpm...

Also, not sure if it is related with torque, because our car has maximum torque around 4krpm

With the cat convertor sitting so close to the header, I wonder whether it is a limiting factor as well, I need more research on this..

PS John and others, I am not using factory resonator (torpedo), with the cat back, they gave me another one

thanks for the great info. very interesting findings. i have a greddy info touch hooked up to my one , i will check what the AFR is like under load and under hi speed pulls.

i see in a local performance magazine they have listed dyno figures for the 2zr-fe with a exhaust , the claim approx 8 kw and 11 nm increase , im not sure on the pipe size or if that includes header and maybe a de-cat , but i will call them tomorrow and find out what that all includes.

it seems the 2zr-fe has very good flow and reacts well to minor changes , i currently have a K&N typhoon intake on order for my yaris TS , they claim a 5 HP increase , here is the link

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-8615TS

so i will check and see how it works on my 2zr-fe.

it would be so cool if they made more supercharger kits and other engine upgrades available for the car , as the Bemani one is really pretty pricey , but it makes great power.

i only have a 57mm pipe increase from the OEM middle resonator and a megan racing rear jap can , it seems to work really well , but im thinking about replacing the OEM middle box and maybe a 2nd cat removal , as the second cat comes after the sensor , so no cell's ;-) ... but im wondering if it will be worth it or if it will affect back pressure badly ?

i have heard that the cars are designed with a certain amount of back pressure needed , so will messing around with the exhaust system to much cause damage or power loss ?

Edited by Samurai racer

John, the pic you posted still seems to me a non OEM exhaust, its been fiddled with. From what i can see in the pic, they have removed the "torpedo" and replaced it with the muffler/harmonic resonator thats normally at the end of the exhaust. Also they have added another cat before this.

oops :o I think your right Pete,i didn't really have a good look at it until now,still I will look at mine again. I drove Ben's ZRE yesterday with the catback system and headers and WOW.... I loved it, might just be the sound(awesome) but pulled much better than mine. Coils,stripped interior and 16"s, felt so agile I loved it, sounded exactly like my old 4AGE with same system..

Sorry Ben but the pics of your exhaust didn't turn out :( so catch up and try it again soon hopefully... B)