Seca windows problem - MELB

Hi guys,

I bought an AE82 Seca on the weekend, but the windows don't wind and the front passenger window just drops down whilst driving.

I visited one of the wreckers on Saturday and he said that the Secas had this issue and a bar needs to be replaced. The bar (second hand) costs $40 each. Does anyone know of any cheap wreckers in Melbourne who can supply this part? The guy I bought this off said he was quoted $15 at another wrecker.

Also is this stuff easy to install?

Your help would be appreciated.......feel free to email gracing123@hotmail.com

Regards,

Glenn

Best start before you actually go buy anything is to remove the door trim from one of the problem doors and take a look at the window mechanism to see what exactly is wrong. Once you've actually seen the problem, you then know exactly what you need to replace.

This is a common problem with the older AE82 corollas and is caused by rust on the bar that supports to the window or the window just detaches itself from the bar altogether.

The passenger side windows are affected first because when you park your car on the street the passenger side sits lower and rain water flows to that part of the car.

I had toyota fix mine because I couldn't get the window winding handle off to remove the door trim.

It is usually the regulator that goes first, essentially this is the main part of the gearing mechanism that makes the thing go up and down.

I have had it happen on numberous older cars including my 74 Galant, 80 323 Wagon and 90 Falcon....

If the window is 'falling' down, then you can be rest auusured that it would be the regulator, but pull it apart just to make sure.,..

$15 from a wrecker sounds about average...

Yeh my mate had an 88 seca a few years ago and it got to the stage where none of the windows could be opened. Slightly comical when going through a toll bridge and trying to chuck the money into the coin catcher by opening the door and leaning back :) .

Not so comical on a hot summers day with no air-con in the car :( .

No matter how many times my mate tried to glue the bottom of the windows back into the window winding bracket they kept falling out after a while. It was pretty annoying for him at the time.