Steering wheel vibrates when applying brake at 100 kph on Neutral

KHIEM

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are enjoying Easter,

After traveling about 200 kms for the whole day (Adelaide - Mannum and back), when I was on the way back to Adelaide, I started to feel some vibration on my steering wheel when the brake pedal is pressed.

The car was traveling at 110 kph down hill and the gear was at Neutral (N), I pressed the brake pedal and the steering wheel started to shake a bit (vibrate). I released the brake and then about 200 or 300 metres applied the brake again and it still shook (mild vibration). I changed to Drive (D) and it shook a bit less, but still shaking a bit. The car still slowed down but don't know why the steering wheel vibrated... :(

After exiting the freeway, i drove about 70ish kph and didn't notice any shaking or vibration...

This is the first time I experience this :( :(...

Could it be because I have driven it for such a long trip and the discs and the pads were too hot that they may expand a bit causing all sorts of these vibration and shaking?

Thanks for your help and answers

Regards,

TK

Oh one more thing: My car model is a Ascent Corolla, 2005, 84k :)

Edited by KHIEM

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are enjoying Easter,

After traveling about 200 kms for the whole day (Adelaide - Mannum and back), when I was on the way back to Adelaide, I started to feel some vibration on my steering wheel when the brake pedal is pressed.

The car was traveling at 110 kph down hill and the gear was at Neutral (N), I pressed the brake pedal and the steering wheel started to shake a bit (vibrate). I released the brake and then about 200 or 300 metres applied the brake again and it still shook (mild vibration). I changed to Drive (D) and it shook a bit less, but still shaking a bit. The car still slowed down but don't know why the steering wheel vibrated... :(

After exiting the freeway, i drove about 70ish kph and didn't notice any shaking or vibration...

This is the first time I experience this :( :(...

Could it be because I have driven it for such a long trip and the discs and the pads were too hot that they may expand a bit causing all sorts of these vibration and shaking?

Thanks for your help and answers

Regards,

TK

Oh one more thing: My car model is a Ascent Corolla, 2005, 84k :)

1 of your disc is worn more than the other thus causing the condition you mentioned. Fix it by replacing both discs (left and right) or get it machined.

Thanks guys, I have done a quick search online and seems like this is the reason for the shaking/vibration.

Do you know how much roughly this gonna cost, machine or truing the discs?

Thanks guys, I have done a quick search online and seems like this is the reason for the shaking/vibration.

Do you know how much roughly this gonna cost, machine or truing the discs?

The Mobil station down the road (with garage attached) charge $159 for a "full rotor machining" service.

• 2 months later...

Bringing up an old thread, i got my rotors machined for $50 biggrin.gif

You should only have your rotors machined once yea? after that would one be advised to get new ones?

Edited by addy287

Bringing up an old thread, i got my rotors machined for $50 biggrin.gif

You should only have your rotors machined once yea? after that would one be advised to get new ones?

It depends how much material had to be taken off last time. The difference between "in spec" and "out of spec" for rotor thickness is often only 1 mm, so yes you might only get one or two resurfaces before needing replacements.