2001 Hilux - Turbo or not

Hi All,

I want to buy a 2001 - 2003 Toyota Hilux 3.0L Dual Cab and am going to look at a turbo and non turbo, can anyone tell me if its worth getting the turbo and why and what the main difference is?? is it worth spending the xtra money, is it more reliable etc. Thanks heaps

Hi All,

I want to buy a 2001 - 2003 Toyota Hilux 3.0L Dual Cab and am going to look at a turbo and non turbo, can anyone tell me if its worth getting the turbo and why and what the main difference is?? is it worth spending the xtra money, is it more reliable etc. Thanks heaps

Welcome to the forum.

Although I can not comment on the Hilux specifically, turbo'd equivalents in any model car seem to be less reliable due to more parts, cooling and over all increased stress on the engine.

I have never heard of a turbo equivalent to be MORE reliable.

But that is generalising to the extreme.

I guess the better question to ask is, "what do I want this car to do?". If performance is a must then go turbo.

G'day Goody.

I had an '04 SR5 Turbo Diesel Dual Cab.

Brilliant vehicle.

Only issue I had was that you needed fairly regular wheel alignments to get your tyres to last.

As for the engines performance, it was good, did everything i asked of it, pulled some very heavy loads on some long distance trips. Saying that, it was the non-intercooled version (i think the prado at the time had an intercooler) so if I were in your shoes, I would definitely look for a turbo, but obviously one that has been maintained.

Then i would fit an intercooler for sure.

But as taco said, you have to weigh up what you want it for and what you want it to do.