Desmond's Red Slug

dezzymun

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tru-star: yep. its very comfortable to drive it daily, but u get a few clinks here and there while ur turning at low speed. Also freeway onramps are more fun now cause i can take them quicker and car feels very planted to the ground. However I can't drive on the top level of Doncaster shopping town cause the bracing has taken some height from ground clearance and every time i angle over a speed hump, i get mega scrapage from the bracing.. it doesn't sound too good

Johnnie: Coilovers may come before track day.. not something i planned for but oh well =0.. And yeh, i have a feeling my tires won't hold up on track, but im still gonna give it a go anyways!

Cusco Zero 2 Coilovers are finally in and boy do they feel AWESOME!! It took me 2 days from start to finish, due to lack of tools, cbf, working slowly and the weather lol.

After all was completed i drove for bout 50kms and my front tires are nearly bald due to the -3 camber on the fronts and no wheel alignment yet..

Will get pics up over the weekend. Hoping to enjoy on trackday aswell!

Keep an eye on the next few posts, ill have my first PB for Winton =]

Cusco Zero 2 Coilovers are finally in and boy do they feel AWESOME!! It took me 2 days from start to finish, due to lack of tools, cbf, working slowly and the weather lol.

After all was completed i drove for bout 50kms and my front tires are nearly bald due to the -3 camber on the fronts and no wheel alignment yet..

Sounds good desmond! Defintely all track preped now. Ride should be very controllable on track. Just need tyres asap! Dont go track in bald tyres. lol

Sounds good desmond! Defintely all track preped now. Ride should be very controllable on track. Just need tyres asap! Dont go track in bald tyres. lol

Its UBER comfortable now! i was getting the feel of coilovers, trying to get top speed on freeway entrances lol, but all i heard was tire squeel due to the camber..

Although i did run into a lil problem... As i have lowered suspension i have custom front swaybar links so they can hold the front swaybar better.. As ive upgraded now to coilovers and gone slightly lower, theres a little knocking while turning.. So i've got rose jointed swaybar links to help the swaybar work better.. Ive ordered a pair of Adrenalins before the track day, getting them installed monday, hopefully the fronts won't be on the metal by then lol

holy crap, u got the mods going now mate ;)

now i can feel alot safer in ur car when u track lol joking :lol:

I duno about that dude lol.. im still getting used to this new setup, it makes me want to know my limit if u know what i mean hehehe..

I guess your theory will be put to the test on sunday!

Ive ordered a pair of Adrenalins before the track day, getting them installed monday, hopefully the fronts won't be on the metal by then lol

RE001s FTL, get some feds 595SS at least, that way your a$$ is covered if it happens to rain on that day ;)

I duno about that dude lol.. im still getting used to this new setup, it makes me want to know my limit if u know what i mean hehehe..

dw, thats what the 1st session on the track is all about. shouldn't be long for you to get the hang of it on the track. :lol:

Ive ordered a pair of Adrenalins before the track day, getting them installed monday, hopefully the fronts won't be on the metal by then lol

RE001s FTL, get some feds 595SS at least, that way your a$$ is covered if it happens to rain on that day ;)

dw, thats what the 1st session on the track is all about. shouldn't be long for you to get the hang of it on the track. :lol:

I went for the adrenalins cause they are a good street tire and have used them for track before. Everything else was pretty much out of the budget due to time..

Toe did that damage, not the camber.

THanks for clearing that up.. do u know what a good set up is? Its already got some toe but not sure till i get a wheel alignment..

I went for the adrenalins cause they are a good street tire and have used them for track before. Everything else was pretty much out of the budget due to time..

thats alright man whatever works for you. i had first hand experience with these tyres on a mates stivo. while he never tracked it, i did take it for a spin in the wet n felt it didnt hold very well. i also found that the price i was quoted at a mates bridgestone tyre centre was a bit steep (165 fitted) that was 'mates rates'. the adrenalines were highly talked abot on this forum too so thats why i went n did a bit of research. then a member if this forum introed me to the federals which was a tyre i never heard of for the life of me. i looked at the tread pattern on the 595 super steels compared to the 595 evos and the re001s and thought they would fair better for the street as one of my requirements were that they HAVE to hold in the wet. so i bit my lip and tried them out and got 4. and i havent looked back.

let me also add that the tyres were part of the reason why i very very narrowly avioded an accident this morning due to some other driver on the way back to the city. the grip in the wet is fantastic imo.

just my 0.02 cents mate

thats alright man whatever works for you. i had first hand experience with these tyres on a mates stivo. while he never tracked it, i did take it for a spin in the wet n felt it didnt hold very well. i also found that the price i was quoted at a mates bridgestone tyre centre was a bit steep (165 fitted) that was 'mates rates'. the adrenalines were highly talked abot on this forum too so thats why i went n did a bit of research. then a member if this forum introed me to the federals which was a tyre i never heard of for the life of me. i looked at the tread pattern on the 595 super steels compared to the 595 evos and the re001s and thought they would fair better for the street as one of my requirements were that they HAVE to hold in the wet. so i bit my lip and tried them out and got 4. and i havent looked back.

let me also add that the tyres were part of the reason why i very very narrowly avioded an accident this morning due to some other driver on the way back to the city. the grip in the wet is fantastic imo.

just my 0.02 cents mate

I duno if it has anything to do with just performance, but i take into account price aswell.. Im kinda cheating with it a bit cause im using 15s and its a bit cheaper for me, thats y i haven't upgraded rims/tires yet lol..

You quite right about the 595s, I've done my research on them and the reviews are quite good, I would give them a go, aswell as toyo proxies and KU36s, although ppl say the KUs aren't great in the wet..

Hopefully, i can find myself a set of stivo rims for daily, and have a decent street tire on them and keep my pov spec 15s in the garage which will be wrapped in brand new semis next year for more track days. But for now, ill let u know how these adrenalins go.. i only bought a pair lol

just my 0.02 cents mate

I duno if it has anything to do with just performance, but i take into account price aswell.. Im kinda cheating with it a bit cause im using 15s and its a bit cheaper for me, thats y i haven't upgraded rims/tires yet lol..

You quite right about the 595s, I've done my research on them and the reviews are quite good, I would give them a go, aswell as toyo proxies and KU36s, although ppl say the KUs aren't great in the wet..

Hopefully, i can find myself a set of stivo rims for daily, and have a decent street tire on them and keep my pov spec 15s in the garage which will be wrapped in brand new semis next year for more track days. But for now, ill let u know how these adrenalins go.. i only bought a pair lol

im not sure how wide the levin rims are... if they are 15x7 (which i doubt...maybe 15x6) they are good for track. you need to utilise as much width as possible when you're on the track esp now that you have coilovers with neg camber. ;)

the only thing that you should worry about are the actual rims themselves, maybe pi$$ them off and get a set of aftermarket rims with 7 inch width on them. that way u can be sure they wont "fail" on you on the track. i'm looking for 15x7s and then chucking on 205/50r15s on them as recommended by a member and see how that goes. mind u, i don't care much about the looks on the rims as they are purely for the track. (u think ur 15s are povs, i reckon mine will be 10x as bad) :lol:

btw, u staying over in benalla before tracking?

i might head up with a couple of mates just for you and your stivo mate ;)

lol quote box seems too big to be quoted again ahahhaa

I doubt anything will "fail" on the car, mostly because its a toyota =], but i could be wrong..

yeh rim size and offset is a whole new ball game and bigger limit on the plastic card... Especially offset, -10, +20,+40, u name it and i wouldn't know wtf ur talking bout lol..

my pov spec conquest rims are 15x5 i think (195/60/15) and i haven't found semis in that size, smallest for 15x7 is 205/50/16. im on the lookout for cheap as chips track rims, however ill be saving for something else..

and yeh ill be staying over the night before. ill PM u the details for the saturday night drive..

Edited by dezzymun

lol quote box seems too big to be quoted again ahahhaa

I doubt anything will "fail" on the car, mostly because its a toyota =], but i could be wrong..

yeh rim size and offset is a whole new ball game and bigger limit on the plastic card... Especially offset, -10, +20,+40, u name it and i wouldn't know wtf ur talking bout lol..

my pov spec conquest rims are 15x6 (195/60/15) and i haven't found semis in that size, smallest for 15x7 is 205/50/16. im on the lookout for cheap as chips track rims, however ill be saving for something else..

and yeh ill be staying over the night before. ill PM u the details for the saturday night drive..

PM replied ;)

Good explanation for the offset

I know federals have semis for the 15s in 205/50/r15. u mentioned 15x7??? or 15x6??

smallest for 15x7 is 205/50/16

Not to burst your bubble or anything but even the most prepared people can't antipate what will happen on a race track therefore it's a good idea to bring tools and fluids at the bare minimum. Other than that, good luck.

2+ to this, but you've been on the track before so i assumed you brought extra tools and fluids with u on the previous track days right dez? ;)

if you got mates try to share the tools. since i'm on stock struts + super lows, this is important so i dont bottom out LOL :lol: i have went to winton twice and on both occasions my jack came in handy for others.

off topic: are you still coming to spectate dorifto? :ninja:

Not to burst your bubble or anything but even the most prepared people can't antipate what will happen on a race track therefore it's a good idea to bring tools and fluids at the bare minimum. Other than that, good luck.

I know i may sound confident that nothing will fail, but i always bring a box or 2 of tools and fluids and always check my oil after each session. I may need to do a few more things to the car, but won't know till later in the week.. u heading down to watch?

Was asked/told to come down to spectate and help out guys new to track racing on lines and general racing do's/dont's but it's looking slim as I've got work rostered on the week-end as well as a few things to do. Doesn't help if I know one of the cars out there has taken my spot I gave up :(

Was asked/told to come down to spectate and help out guys new to track racing on lines and general racing do's/dont's but it's looking slim as I've got work rostered on the week-end as well as a few things to do. Doesn't help if I know one of the cars out there has taken my spot I gave up :(

Damn! well see what u can do..

My track day dreams are slowly slipping away each day.. So the pickle I'm currently in is pretty big.. Track day is only 5 days away and i have a knocking sound coming from my front swaybar links after installing coil overs. This is getting really annoying to me and it doesn't seem to be holding my front swaybar in place.. Any advice guys?

Yeah, thats the last thing i want to do really.. pretty much lost all motivation for track atm.. Gona work on the car tomorrow morning to see what i can do at home, then visit some wreckers. Hopefully it will hold up on track as i don't plan to bail on a day I've been preparing 6 months for..

You need to run shortened swaybar links , 5 minutes to install them , go to a reputable buisness and grab a pair.

Hey dude thanks for the advice, I'm already running stock front sway links that have been shortened but they still seem to knock for some reason.. Could u recommend any places i could go to?