My first corolla

Hi all, I'm looking to buy an old corolla for around 4 grand, as I was wondering what information you can give me that would be useful. It will be a work car, not a racer, so I don't care about the best bang for my buck. What I am interested is which models were particularly good.

I've been looking at models around 1995, so, are these known to be good, or where the ones before or the ones after known to be significantly better?

Thanks in advance

Fluf

There is a major step-up in quality between an AE92 (89-93ish) and an AE101/102 (94-99ish), as well as space. In my mind, the AE101/102 series is an absolute bargain these days, if they've been looked after then they'll run forever like any other Corolla, they're common as muck but not that desirable so good clean examples are easy to find, parts are still reasonably cheap as they were the last Corolla model to be made in Australia, and I've got one :P

If you have the option, make sure you get the 1.8L 7AFE though, there's negligible difference to fuel consumption but power and driveability are much better. And also get manual if you can (they can be hard to find though, lawn-bowling grannies don't normally drive stick), the autos are slugs (even though they're 4-speed).

Thats great. Thanks so much for taking the time to post that up. I really appreciate it! I will look for 94 onwads. Thats the sort of bubbly shape isnt it? Im pretty sure i know the ones you mean. My first real girlfriend mum bought one in 97 that was brand new. she loved that car.

Yeah will have to be a manual. I cannot stand autos. even the fancy new ones imo are boring to drive. I would rather own a slower manual than a faster auto because for me it is a much more engaging drive.

Thanks again. Ill post up what I end up with.

Any thing in particular I should look for in terms of wear and tear or just the usual stuff? When do they have a timing belt done?

Cheers

Fluf

Thats great. Thanks so much for taking the time to post that up. I really appreciate it! I will look for 94 onwads. Thats the sort of bubbly shape isnt it?

Not really bubbly, fairly typical 90s design - not too boxy, not too curvy, in my mind just right.

Sedan

TOYO0096.jpg

Seca

TOYO0091.jpg

There was a facelift at around mid-'96, nothing huge changed apart from cosmetics and some body wiring.

As for which model to get, try to avoid CSi as they only come with the 1.6L 4AFE and drum rear brakes - the Conquest (which I have) is the next step up and will include include power mirrors, power windows if you're lucky, air-con, remote central locking, the 1.8L 7AFE and disc rear brakes. Ultima sedans are practically impossible to find but have all the fruit, auto-only unfortunately. Best model overall would probably be the "sporty" RV Seca, you get most of the fruit as well as improved suspension, better seats/steering wheel and a few other things)

Any thing in particular I should look for in terms of wear and tear or just the usual stuff? When do they have a timing belt done?

Timing belts are done every 100,000km, so be on the look-out for someone trying to unload one cheap that's just before the next scheduled change. If you do need to get it done it's around the $300 mark, nothing too expensive and any competent workshop can do it. Other issues to look out for are oil consumption - fairly common problem amongst the A-series especially if it wasn't run in/looked after properly), but if you do oil-changes every 5000km and use a 20W50 or the like then you shouldn't have a problem. Apart from that there are the usual FWD things to look out for (CVs/balljoints), and the springs/shocks will most likely have lost some of their performance, once again depends on how hard a life it has had. Rust shouldn't be an issue (a BIG improvement over the AE82 and AE92s which can now resemble swiss cheese if not taken care of)

Edited by Hiro

yeah thanks again. There is a lady coming in to work in a few hrs (I run a car detailing business), and she happens to be selling her 2000 rolla with 180k on the clock for 5. I said I wanted to spend around 4 and she knock a thousand off the price just like that over the phone!! 0.0

Will be interesting to see how it looks. Anything out of the ordinary to keep an eye out on with these models?

Fluf

hmmm, blowing a bit of smoke, other than that looks spot on. I just spoke to a mechanic who said it was likely valve seals. It didnt blow smoke when i drove it down to him, but when i started it up after it sitting there for 5 mins there was some smoke.

Can't get over how neat and tidy it looks inside! Amazing!! Outside is pretty spot on too, cept for 1 large dint that I can get taken out pretty cheaply I rekon.

So, 4k sound reasonable you think?

FLuf

2000 model, sedan or liftback? They're imported so parts might be slightly harder/more expensive, but it's still a Corolla so shouldn't be too bad. Other good thing is that the entire range got the 1.8L 7AFE so there's no issue re. engine choice, and the chassis is fairly similar to the AE10x series.

can also vouch for the ae102 ..... bought one not long ago as a daily for the olds and my younger sister to get her L's on ...... it was relatively clean only had minor issues which you would expect from a car that is over 10 yrs old