Ticking noise from 2003 Corolla

There's a distinct ticking noise coming from my engine at idle and when revved, I've put up a small video of it not sure how well it illustrates what I'm talking about, I'm booked in for wed 16th at the toyota dealership, (takes a long time to get a booking for the "diagnostic technician")

Can anyone give me a quick internet diagnosis?

Is it ok to drive until they inspect it?

Edited by bootlegapparel

sounds like hydralic lifters (tappet noise)

when is the last time u change the engine oil?

ed

that's what i'm afraid of, oil change was before I got the car, I've checked the oil, it's nice and topped up, but yeah, i guess they may have been running it low on oil before, I just don't know that, is it a big issue if it's the lifters?

coud be da belt

FYI , thats not a belt noise . Its more metal hitting metal.More a tappet noise tham anything else.

How many Ks has the car done?

Did the sound start after you got the car ?

I know you mentioned the oil is topped up but what colour is the oil ?

If its too dark change that first and then try running PULP to see if the noise dies down a bit.

You will always hear these noises close to the rocket cover but it shouldnt be as loud as yours.

The ZZE's cant be Tuned (like adjusting points etc) so i doubt much will show up in the Diagnostics.

As for driving the car in the meantime , you shouldnt have any problems but try keeping the Revs under the red line. ;)

As for the fuel issue , i dont think its directly related to the noise (happy to be corrected if wrong).

Depending on the KM's travelled it might require a Injector clean.(Previous owners sometimes can have poor fuel choice)

And as mentioned before if your oil is dark then this will be or could be causing both your problems.

coud be da belt

FYI , thats not a belt noise . Its more metal hitting metal.More a tappet noise tham anything else.

How many Ks has the car done?

Did the sound start after you got the car ?

I know you mentioned the oil is topped up but what colour is the oil ?

If its too dark change that first and then try running PULP to see if the noise dies down a bit.

You will always hear these noises close to the rocket cover but it shouldnt be as loud as yours.

The ZZE's cant be Tuned (like adjusting points etc) so i doubt much will show up in the Diagnostics.

As for driving the car in the meantime , you shouldnt have any problems but try keeping the Revs under the red line. ;)

As for the fuel issue , i dont think its directly related to the noise (happy to be corrected if wrong).

Depending on the KM's travelled it might require a Injector clean.(Previous owners sometimes can have poor fuel choice)

And as mentioned before if your oil is dark then this will be or could be causing both your problems.

Car has done just under 120,000kms, and not sure when the sound started, I've noticed it in the last few days, could've been there before though, not entirely sure.

The oil is a normal golden syrupy sorta colour, oil straight utta the container colour.

Wish it was the oil, but yeah... hopefully since I'm taking it to sydney city toyota they'll know exactly whats wrong and fix it

Are you sure the noise is not coming from the Charcoal Canister as circled in green in the attached picture?

If it is, it is the tiny ball bearing inside it that is making the rattle noise at idle. I was informed by Toyota service centre that it wasn't an issue and if I was annoyed at the noise, then it can be replaced.

I think the dude told me it was $350 new.

There's a distinct ticking noise coming from my engine at idle and when revved, I've put up a small video of it not sure how well it illustrates what I'm talking about, I'm booked in for wed 16th at the toyota dealership, (takes a long time to get a booking for the "diagnostic technician")

Can anyone give me a quick internet diagnosis?

Is it ok to drive until they inspect it?

Did you end up taking it into the toyota dealership? My engine has made that ticking noise for as long as I can remember :blink: . I was under the impression that the 'ticking' was normal for a 1zzfe (as I was told it was quite a noisy engine).

Edited by tinno