$500 Fine because Safety Certificate Expired while trying to sel myl Rav

Hi Guys,

I thought I would just do a little community announcement, maybe some of you can avoid the $500 Fine I got because my Safety Certificate Expired While I was Trying to Sell our Rav.

For those interested I have prepared a Dedicated BLOG for it and any other unjust Fines.

It is here: http://unfair-fines.maxpeg.com/police_revenue_raising/

It has turned into a bit of a media thing here, being on the front page of our local paper! Links to that and other juicy bits are on the blog.

Just be careful, it is a long weekend and for some of us it is time to be

fined.. :-(

Drive Safe

Curt

post-19414-127612260082_thumb.jpg

wow thats pretty steep! :( sorry to hear mate... interesting read on the blog too!

on a unrelated note - that officer has REALLY untidy writing... someone was slow at getting their pen license........ <_<

wow thats pretty steep! :( sorry to hear mate... interesting read on the blog too!

on a unrelated note - that officer has REALLY untidy writing... someone was slow at getting their pen license........ <_<

Traffic cops generally don't take the time to write neatly. For them it's all about writing as many tickets as possible.

Going from his rego number, he's probably either a Senior Constable or Sergeant. In traffic, these guys are harsh and offer very little in the way of flexibility. However they don't decide the penalty or the rules, I think of traffic cops simply as a reaction to someone's action. They're strict, but they are also just doing their job.

A few questions - how long was the safety certificate expired for? Were you aware of it, and if so, had you taken any action towards getting it renewed? If you were to contest it, you could probably get it waived on compassionate grounds in front of a Magistrate if the circumstances were in your favor (ie expired only within a few days, hard time booking into to mechanic to get renewed etc).

Let us know how you get on.