Tyre size for Kappa 18 inch wheels

Hyo

Hi All,

It was time to change the original rubbers and I thought that I might upgrade the wheels as well so I grabbed Kappa 18 inch wheels from eBay.

From previous postings I figured out that original tyre size for 18 inch wheels are 225/45R18. However, those size are quite expensive (>$320 in Melbourne) and I want to put something around $200.

So here is the question. Can I put 235/40R18 on them? I know that the diameter of tyre + wheel will be a little small, but I was wondering whether they would be good in operational aspect.

Welcome for any inputs!

Thank you,

Hyo Kim

Hi All,

It was time to change the original rubbers and I thought that I might upgrade the wheels as well so I grabbed Kappa 18 inch wheels from eBay.

From previous postings I figured out that original tyre size for 18 inch wheels are 225/45R18. However, those size are quite expensive (>$320 in Melbourne) and I want to put something around $200.

So here is the question. Can I put 235/40R18 on them? I know that the diameter of tyre + wheel will be a little small, but I was wondering whether they would be good in operational aspect.

Welcome for any inputs!

Thank you,

Hyo Kim

Thats a bit of a change isn't it??

wouldn't you be better with 235/45/R18?

Hi there

I have 40 series in 225's on my Kappas - make sure you check this site to check out the difference to stock

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Rolling diameter will effect your speedo over-read, mine's tracking at about 10kph over according to the GPS

M.

Hi there

I have 40 series in 225's on my Kappas - make sure you check this site to check out the difference to stock

Rolling diameter will effect your speedo over-read, mine's tracking at about 10kph over according to the GPS

M.

Don't they recommend that the change in your rolling diameter is to great?

The 235/40R18's are outside of the recommended 3% tolerance compared to stock.

Do you really think it is worth potentially compromising on the safety of your car just for the sake of saving some money? Then if you get in an accident, depending on your local laws, if the size change is deemed illegal there is a good chance your insurance won't cover you. For example, 235/40R18 would be barely legal on an Aurion in Queensland (just because it's legal doesn't exactly make it a good idea), but the same change on an Aurion in NSW would be considered illegal without an engineering certificate.

On top of that, the decrease in overall circumference would result in your engine having to rev slightly higher which in turn results in a slightly higher fuel consumption.

I, too gotten set of 18" kappa wheels and now looking for tyres. I was quoted $240.00 for Kumho KU31 235/45/R18 ... excl. fitting.

For fitting, how much am I expecting? Do I need to do balancing and alignment?

Cheers

For fitting, how much am I expecting? Do I need to do balancing and alignment?

Depends on which tire shop you go to. They all vary in price, but basically if you bring in your own tires, you'd be looking at around $15-20 per wheel for a 'strip fit and balance' plus new valve stem. They may not necessarily have to strip old tires off, but the cost doesn't usually change. Balancing comes standard with most tire fitments and an alignment is only really necessary if your car isn't driving that straight or it's been around 30,000km or so and you feel like making sure it is all in order,

Hi there

M.

Don't they recommend that the change in your rolling diameter is to great?

I used the actual diameter of the 595RPM's when comparing to the stock Dunlops and they came in at 2.9% diff - at the outer range of the permissable change. If you want another good $200 tyre a bit closer in rolling diameter then the Kumho KU31 in 45 series - I actually went in for those but they didn't have any stock on the day so ended up with the Federals - that said other than the speedo overread I am extremely happy with the Federals, they've made a world of difference to the handling of the car.

I figured out that original tyre size for 18 inch wheels are 225/45R18. However, those size are quite expensive (>$320 in Melbourne) and I want to put something around $200.

Can I put 235/40R18 on them?

Id say stick to 225/45/R18 or 235/45/R18. Its no use taking the risk to compromise on safety for you, your family and the vehicle for a few hundred dollars.

In the long run if you have an accident theres a possibility that the Insurance will reject the claim...

The good thing is that at the moment alot of Tyre stores have a end of financial year sale, so you might be able to save quite a bit by bargaining.

If you need to, grab the phone and call a few tyre stops within 20 KM's and grab a few quotes :)

post-17377-127702911859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronnyboy

Hi All,

Welcome for any inputs!

Thank you,

Hyo Kim

Mate I would definately have to agree with the other boys here, for the sake of a few hundred dollars is it worth having your insurance declined because of the chosen rubber.Just stay with the appropriate tyres and ya laughing, sure they might be more expensive than the larger size, I know its bull****, but haggle hard for a good price then go to another dealer with a written quote and ask them to beat that and you will purchase off them, sure they will moan and groan but show them that if they dont want to haggle you will go elsewhere,but dont risk your car for tyres you know are wrong for it,

just my two bobs worth,

cheers :spiteful::spiteful:

• 3 months later...

OK just to add another one into it. 245\40R18. Anyone tried this size on the Aurion and any issues with them. Only 1.69% difference to the original 216/60R16's

OK just to add another one into it. 245\40R18. Anyone tried this size on the Aurion and any issues with them. Only 1.69% difference to the original 216/60R16's

dude....

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29603

Yes that will be fine, i was running them for a while and only had slight scrubbing on a bit dip with a full car,

Edited by stedyedy