Engine Replacement RA40

Wil

Hi all...

Just picked up a very straight '78 RA40 LT2000 Coupe with one flaw... The previous owner cooked the 18RC engine, badly. One cylinder barely reaches 30psi on a compression test and the others aren't much better...

So, i need a new engine. Being a 19yo uni student my budget isn't great but what i'm wondering is this: Does anyone know of an engine that will bolt straight in to replace the 18R and be compatible with the existing 5spd manual box? I'm also looking to take this oppertunity to convert the car to unleaded, and any increase in performance is always welcome. Will other R block engines work (i.e. the 20R or the 22R) or will i need to find something like a newer 18R or 18RG?

Any pointers on vehicles that carry(ied) such engines and costs involved in procuring such an engine would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Wil Campbell

where do you live if you live in oz sydney, pick n pay less in blacktown have a engine from a celica from the year 79, i have know idea on what the exact name of the engine (ra40), all i saw was a sign saying "$300 celica 79' ". or you can do what i did and put a 13b in there,

later

Thanks for the heads up, but i'm in perth...

Kewel as it sounds, i don't think i'm @ the level where i want to be installing rotaries. A 1G-GE conversion may be on the horizon however... @ the moment my objective is to get rolling, and i'll take it from there. Any advice re: the RA40? Rotary conversion must've been interesting...

Peace,

Wil

Wil,

I would look at either a 1gge / 1ggte or possibly have a search on: Toymods as the engine conversion topic has been covered HEAPS.....

There's probably other engines that you Could fit... eg 1jzgte etc etc but it all depends on how much time and money you're willing to spend.

Not much money, plenty of time...

I did have a look @ the 1GGE conversion, ur right, there's alot of info out there... definately a project for later in the car's life, but for now i'm just interested in rolling with minmum expenditure... Might just put another 18RC in until i'm feeling a little more energetic, hadn't realised that the 18RC will run comfortably on unleaded. Body's very straight, so i'm looking to keep it for awhile...

Also, anyone from Perth with advice on where to find interiors for RA40's? Preferably the coupe...

I would also look at the 22r-e since you have a budget these engines are plentiful in the corona celica and hi-ace. Thye dont make alot of HP but have plenty of torque from their 2.4 liter capacity. Very reliable and run on unleaded. If you mod the exhaust and the air intake you should get over 100kw easily and 220+ Nm or torque. If you want HP from that era, if you can source a rwd 4age then go for that. I wouldnt go for the 1gg, an import engine fairly old and hard to find parts. If not done right youre looking at alot of cash and a big headache.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice...

Looks like i may have sourced a later model 18R-C in sound cond. to get me rolling for the moment, i'll be looking @ the upgrade fairly soon tho, next 12 mnths or so, if the right deal comes along...

Cheers for the heads up on the 1G-GE as well... definately still considering the options. The 4A-GE, i kno very little about, guess its research time... If i kno my engine codes tho that means its for and 'A' chassis and is a twin-cam fuel injected engine... right? Any ideas on where to find one?

Thanks Again,

Wil

you can get a 4age from the wreckers, maybe even a 20 valve front cut, you might have to play around with the engine mount to fit her in, but thats a 1.6 with around 120kw i think, not sure. Theres also the 3t-gteu, but they would be very hard to find. Old school toyota engines :) plenty of oil leaks but quite ahead of their time. 18r-c were twin cam from my memory, if youre gona put something descent put a twin cam head, only 8 valves but rev better.

• 1 month later...

Hey Wil, dont know if this is any use to you, im in Australia and just finished my engine conversion that might help you, i got an ra40 GT coupe, restored it ages ago and had an 18r-g twincam in it, now i sold that and went up another stage, the 1g series, instead of going turbo went supercharged with the GZE,

take a look it may give you some options

motorin1.jpg

motorin2.jpg

motorin3.jpg

motorin4.jpg

motorin5.jpg

motorin6.jpg