Changing out front wheel bearings - FWD

Just looking for some advice on changing out front wheel bearings on a 1991 celica. I have a hydraulic press, snap ring pliers and standard air tools, but I've never taken a hub apart before (and refuse to pay another bogan to do it only to have them fail in 30,000 km, again). Is there a nice tool that will make the job easy, or does one really need all the SSTs listed in the BGB to complete the job? Any other pearls of wisdom from people who have done it before? Thanks everyone.

I have been doing all my bushings and bearings myself on my civic. There are specific press tools for these (Used to borrow Original Mugen tools..*Sigh*)

But lately, I simply take the measurements of the circumferences of parts of the bearing I need to press, go to a metal shop and get them to cut out the appropriate steel tubes and press plates (You put this over the tubes when you press) - Cut about 10 pieces costing <$20.

Also, when taking measurements, take into account the hub and the press. Some parts you can use solid steel tubes.

Hope that helps.

Just looking for some advice on changing out front wheel bearings on a 1991 celica. I have a hydraulic press, snap ring pliers and standard air tools, but I've never taken a hub apart before (and refuse to pay another bogan to do it only to have them fail in 30,000 km, again). Is there a nice tool that will make the job easy, or does one really need all the SSTs listed in the BGB to complete the job? Any other pearls of wisdom from people who have done it before? Thanks everyone.

You dont really need any 'ssts' to do the job (hell ive done it with a hammer and a socket)

Just follow the instructions in the BGB and you should be right... Its not an overly difficult process... I've done it on my celica before and an AE92 roll (damn near identical process)

You dont really need any 'ssts' to do the job (hell ive done it with a hammer and a socket)

Just follow the instructions in the BGB and you should be right... Its not an overly difficult process... I've done it on my celica before and an AE92 roll (damn near identical process)

I'm guessing that:

SSTs = special tools

BGB = a workshop manual of some kind

Can you gents enlighten me or is there a list of abbreviations somewhere?

Can someone please show me a solid steel tube?

lol

Any job is possible as long as you keep your head on and some common sense about what you're going to do.

Never underestimate an item in a press, when under pressure, if it flies out, you might as well get shot with a rifle.

Take your time.

It's not a race til you get it going again :)

I'm about to change out the front bearings on my 91 corolla.

What I'd very much like to know is - do I need a wheel alignment afterwards?

Its probably not a bad idea...