Camry 2008 model (Altise/Ateva) vs Holden Commodore (3.8L) Automatic 2008 model

AJ26

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. Till now I was a Holden commodore (owner) till a lady driver hit me from behind and my car was completely smashed. Now I have to go for a new one...Currently thinking of Camry (altise/Ateva) 2007/2008 year model but wondering if anyone has any experience about pros/cons of driving commodore vs camry. If anyone got any experience about fuel consumption by both cars (though I know abt commodore - 3.8L Auto V6) but not sure about camry as compare to it. Considering camry is 2.4L (but having a heavy body) is it still better than commodore (any experience or links would be good)? Camry official website says its 8.8L/100KM (altise V4) and Ateva (9.9L/100KM). Is that really true in city driving for 2007/2008 year model (coz I know that toyota has improved the fuel efficiency of camry in latest models - not talking abt Hybrid )?

Cheers

AJ

If they're figures from the government, then add about a litre or two to the city cycle. It really depends on how you drive too... but it will definitely use less petrol than a Commodore. Hey, I used to have a VN Commodore and that did 13-14L/100KMs... new ZZE Corolla does only 8.5L-ish/100KMs in the city depending on my mood that week. :)

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. Till now I was a Holden commodore (owner) till a lady driver hit me from behind and my car was completely smashed. Now I have to go for a new one...Currently thinking of Camry (altise/Ateva) 2007/2008 year model but wondering if anyone has any experience about pros/cons of driving commodore vs camry. If anyone got any experience about fuel consumption by both cars (though I know abt commodore - 3.8L Auto V6) but not sure about camry as compare to it. Considering camry is 2.4L (but having a heavy body) is it still better than commodore (any experience or links would be good)? Camry official website says its 8.8L/100KM (altise V4) and Ateva (9.9L/100KM). Is that really true in city driving for 2007/2008 year model (coz I know that toyota has improved the fuel efficiency of camry in latest models - not talking abt Hybrid )?

Cheers

AJ

i only just switched from a berlina 98 lpg to a camry altise 08 a few weeks ago.

mate, if i could turn back time i'll even pick my old berlina over the altise, let alone an 08 commodore!!! that is, if you're talking about driveability and not reliability wise.

the camry 4 cyl is not only under power (load up with 4 ppl and the car won't go), it has this weird behaviour of not reacting for a couple of seconds after you put your foot down on the pedal!!! very dangerous for quick overtaking. i'm driving like an old man now, although i am actually an old man haha....

also when your not used to the car, the first time when you plant your foot down on the pedal like you would with the commy, be ready with the brake because it'll shot off like a rocket. so make sure thers's nothing in front of you the first time :)

fuel comsumption? the 8.8 figure is for the manual. the salesman misled me. look carefully at their website and you'll find the official figure for auto is 9.9. apparently the commy is only one litre more, insignificant in my view.

in real life the last 3 refills put my altise about right at around 9.9 but i do almost 50-50 freeway and suburban roads, not city.

the worst thing about the altise? the car's suspension must be sh**t. on rough roads it rocks around like you're riding a horse (described by someone at the toyota nation forum).

bottomline is, the camry is a small car in a big body, pretending to be a big car.

the good points? hope it's as reliable as what ppl said about camry (main reason i got a camry as the commy repairs were driving my missus nut),and it does look good to me (a personal taste i guess).

why don't you get an aurion? only about 1-2k more than the camry and has more power than a commy. consumption is not much different from the camry as it's not under power. i didn't get to buy an aurion only because my wife refused to believe that :(

i dare say, coming from a commy, you'll regret getting the camry. go for an aurion mate, seriously.

Edited by jh20

I agree the current series Camry is underpowered. A 2.4 litre 4 cylinder can certainly put out more than the 110-odd KW it does. However, one must conclude Toyota deliberately did that to help with fuel economy. Alas, the Camry is not that fuel economical due to its hefty weight. On the plus side it literally is as big as a Commodore/Falcon inside.

Having recently driven a current model Commodore I was dismayed at its poor quality. The paint just looked thin, the handbrake pinced your skin every time it was released & unreleased, the gear shift required Herculean effort and get this, the stereo has its own ON/OFF button. How naff. Don't let me get started on its 1980's calculator-type LCD graphics.

As for the Aurion, well true it is a bigger engine, but not bigger inside. The Aurion suffers terrible torque steer and has a woeful reputation for retained value. If you need power, consider the Nissan Maxima (if you are prepared to gamble the longevity of its dodgy CVT auto).

Look, we would all drive BMW 5-series if we could, but we can't, so suck it up.

Not too sure why we are comparing a 4 Cylender with a V6

anyways, the best car to compare with the Commy would be the Aurion.

Aurion would be more fuel efficent and has a few more KW's

You may get the Commy for a better price since they made so many of those.

Going back to the camry Altise, if you mind the loss of power then you should be fine.

Just keep in mind that the specs on the toyota website is for the 2010 camry.

There has been a few minor changes. e.g. for Altise, Bluetooth, usb input, side airbags, led lights, headlight controls etc.....