Engine warning light

op910au

I recently installed a reversing buzzer by just hooking it up to the left reversing/ backup light. Works fine for work purposes but sometimes it would be useful to switch it off temporarily...eg leaving a motel carpark early hours. So I thought I would fit a simple switch. Tried to find the circuit and fuse which goes to this by description but no-luck. Eventually by a process of elimination found it was the "ECU-IG & GAUGE".10amp.

Haven't changed anything yet as obviously this goes to the ECU, which I assume is Electronic Control Unit? so may be the computer or emission control. So I have to come up with PlanB and wire the switch more locally to the reversing lights themselves.

However after replacing fuses the "engine " indicator stayed on the dash. Didn't appear to affect any functions whilst driving but the Manual says "Take vehicle to Toyota Dealer". However after a couple of stops and restarts it stayed off.

Should I need to do anythoing else (apart from not removing fuses indescriminately in the future) ???

The model is a 2009 Hilux 4x2 SR 4L Petrol

Thanks in advance,

Rod

Edited by op910au

• 2 weeks later...

The ECU has probably logged a fault code (hence the engine light) but it may have corrected itself. However the code will remain stored in its memory till its cleared but won't bring the light back on unless something triggers it. Best get it checked out.