professional alignment needed

Keisari

I'm going to be rebuilding my suspension very soon - struts, springs, bushings, camber bolts, everything - and was wondering if anyone knows of an exceptional suspension place anywhere in the Melbourne area can advise on and perform a proper custom alignment. Money is no object so long as I get what I pay for - quality and no hassles.

Thanks!

Money no object?

Bilstein PSS9, not the most expensive, but it's getting up there.

Are you after advice/parts/installation, or for someone to set the car up for you? I don't know anyone in Melbourne so can't be of assitance in that way.

Camber bolts aren't a favourite of race shops, they tend to prefer oblonging the hole. The camber bolts are undersized and can be a weak point if you do wheel to wheel racing. Camber selection is dependant on your tyres, slick tyres need a lot more camber.

Bushings are pretty basic, unless you are wanting to mess around with the mounting points slightly with off centre bushes.

As for setup, it's different for different people, hence why it is called setup and not fixed; testing is the only way to know how you like a car to handle or suits your driving style.

Corner balancing is also useful, expect to hand over $400 for a corner balance.

I'll be performing the installation myself, so it's really advice and ability in establishing the final alignment specs I'm looking for. I have some idea of what I'm after (more a street setup rather than a race one), though I am indeed interested in doing a bit of testing and definitely want a corner balance.

Unless you buy from them they probably wont be very willing to waste their time giving out free information. The only real issue is choosing your spring and dampening rates.

Keep in mind something like Koni are cheap to buy but expensive to revalve, while Bilstein and Ohlins are expensive to buy and cheap to revalve. Reason for this is the Konis need to be rebuilt by Koni, while any decent suspension shop can rebuild the Ohlins/Bilstein struts. So if you want to match the strut to the springs the cheaper revalving option is the way to go. If you contact someone like Eibachs and tell them what you want from yoru springs they can probably help you out and custom make a spring rate for you; it'll probably cost a bit extra though.

As for camber, since it is a street car -1.5 or 2º would be fine on the street, for the track you'll need -4º+. As for toe it's all about preference. Caster I'm only starting to play around with so can't help out there.

yep, centerline or if your on the other side of the city, techsport bayswater.

good quality work and top guys in melb.. as both of the work shops have race cars and frequently race at winton..

both these workshop charge by hour not not by job like cheap tire shops.

• 3 weeks later...