Need for Disconnecting Negative Terminal for On Car Battery Charging

K8Canb

The Camry Owner's manual states to disconnect the car negative battery terminal before charging the battery. Is this really necessary? My concern is about possible loss of electronic data such as airbag, engine diagnostic etc.

What you experts think?

K8Canb

Is the battery flat? If it is, you would have most likely lost the setting etc anyways. If you start the car and run it for a while the alternator should charge it. However you can buy a "Memory Minder" which you plug into your cigarette lighter and it provides enough power to save the settings.

The Camry Owner's manual states to disconnect the car negative battery terminal before charging the battery. Is this really necessary? My concern is about possible loss of electronic data such as airbag, engine diagnostic etc.

What you experts think?

K8Canb

The reason for disconnecting the battery is to save the possibility of causing damage to the electrics such as the alternator etc:

What you experts think?

K8Canb

It does state it but i wouldnt bother .. For example when jump starting the car .. You cant jump start with the negative disconnected so i dont understand why they really bother when charging it ...

What you experts think?

K8Canb

It does state it but i wouldnt bother .. For example when jump starting the car .. You cant jump start with the negative disconnected so i dont understand why they really bother when charging it ...

yes but if you don't do it right you could finish up with a stuffed alternator. :ph34r:

Is the battery flat? If it is, you would have most likely lost the setting etc anyways. If you start the car and run it for a while the alternator should charge it. However you can buy a "Memory Minder" which you plug into your cigarette lighter and it provides enough power to save the settings.

No the battery is not flat, as I do not drive the car everyday, in Canberra weather, sometimes it is hard to start in the morning. Couple of occations I had to call NRMA who tested the battery and the charging system which was found ok. I thought that occational charging may help.

Memory minder sound intersting, where can I buy that and roughly how much it coast?

Thanks for your reply.

What you experts think?

K8Canb

In my other car 1995 Camry Vienta, I have charged the batter many times without removing the negative terminal and nothing has happened. I thought that the new 2005 Camry circuit may be diffrent and require the disconnection.

Few people have warned about damaging the alternater, could someone provide more detail;s aboput how the altyernator can get damaged? Here I am charging the battery directly and applying normal charging voltage. Just wondering about the possibility of alternator getting damaged. The jump starting example is interesting as the car cannot start without the both battery terminals connected.

Someone with good auto-electrical knowledge may like to educate us on this matter.

Thanks to everyone who have replied.

K8Canb