Camry Gen 5 - Lowered - Needs new shocks/struts...

birdie

OK I have a 2002 Gen 5 MCV36R Camry Sportivo V6 Manual, and when I bought it had been lowered, with it appears King Springs. Now earlier in the year I had 5 people in my car, plus a boot full of luggage (including a moderate sized sub box), and when I was driving between Bundaberg and Childers (I live in Bundaberg), I bottomed out on the rough road (sound of the tyres hitting the top of the innner plastic guards..., only on the rear though...

And since then I noticed a bit of a knock in my rear end of the car, which i'm sure is from the suspension, now when i had my car serviced last time at Toyota they told me that I need 4 new shocks, but because it has lowered springs, I would have to go back to standard springs if i wanted to use stock struts again... (Hmmm I thought... The car has done 160,000kms on the stock shocks... I'm sure i can do it again) and they are saying no if i want to keep my lowered springs then i need to get lowered shocks from pedders or such, and if i do get the standard shocks they will just wear out again... (hmm again, they have done 160,000kms, so of course they will be worn out)

So I'm wondering should I just get standard shocks again, and be done with it (I can get the standard shocks at trade price as dad has a trade account with the local Toyota)... I'm likely to have upgraded before I have done another 160,000kms... Or should I go for more expensive lowered shocks to match my springs?

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Of course you can go with stock shocks, but don't expect to get the same life/performance (and I'm not just referring to aggressive driving performance) out of them as you would with shocks that are designed for lowering springs. Just because you are currently at 160,000km, this doesn't mean this is how long your original shocks lasted for. There is a difference between worn out and completely worn out. It's like saying your tires can last twice the distance if you wear it down well past the minimum tread depth. Your stock shocks could have been worn well before 160,000km.

At the end of the day though, it's your car and you can get what you want for it.

Buy a set of KYB Excel-G shocks which should work fine with your Superlows. I run the King Lows and KYB's with no bumping/scrubbing issues. They will be cheaper than Toyota Genuine as well.

However, if you can wait a month or so I can sell you my KYB's (Front and back, Fronts are ~25000km, Rears are ~15000km old) cheap.

Ok, I've been around town for a few quotes...

Toyota wanted $1157.25 for genuine struts (and a bit less than a $1000 for trade), just for the struts... not fitted...

Went to a local suspension place, they use KYB shocks, and recommended them, he recons they will handle the lowered springs... He wanted $200 per stut, plus $70 for the bump stops, labour of $195 and $60 for a front wheel alignment, so a total of $1125 fitted... That's for the KYB Excel-G shocks I'm pretty sure (the quote doesn't list the model, only the part numbers: 334424, 334425, 334426, and 334427)... Does that sound reasonable?

AutoBarn has Monroe shocks for about $150ea, or the KYB shocks for $180ea plus $20per pair... so they end up same as the suspension place... but they also said that the KYB Excel-G shocks aren't actually lowered shocks, and that they are the standard shocks? but I said i knew someone that has this combination and they said well you are probably ok...

The price of the shocks are about right from the shock store (that is, the KYB's) but you can get them for about $150ea from Greg @ GSL Rallysport. A few members have bought from him and he's no-nonsense and honest.

The KYB's will do fine on lowered springs, the biggest issue is that the Excel-G's aren't a performance strut so they aren't the ultimate in handling.

SupaTouring has some Koni Adjustable shocks/strut setup that he had made up for himself before he got himself the TRD Aurion.

I'd let the 4 shocks (2 front, 2 rear) go for $350-400 or so.

i was using mornoe shocks before coilovers, they are very stable. But they are not lowered shocks, and my mechanical told me that the KYB shocks were really good shocks, if i need to replace or upgrade, should go for KYB. The price is around that much.

Well I got my new shocks installed yesterday, I went with the KYB Excel-G shocks. So I got the 4 new shocks, new bump stops all around, a new rubber boot for one of the front shocks, and a front wheel alignment. Total of $1175 fitted...

The guy told me my rear passenger shock was completely stuffed, you could push it down fairly easily but it was hard to pull back up, aka rooted... and the bump stop was non-existent on it... and the other rear shock was well and truly stuffed too, and the fronts were stuffed as well.

Definitely a noticeable difference in the handling and ride now... A lot smoother and quieter :) The car is sitting higher now though, but the guy said they will settle down over a couple of months. And he checked what springs I have and they are King Lows, not super lows that I originally thought... (they were already of the car, so I had no idea)..