Avalon 2005 non Starter

Tony R

I picked up my "new" Avalon Grande 2005 today and drove happily home (1 hour trip), stopped at home for an hour, started up again and drove to the shopping centre 20 mins away, parked the car and switched off. All OK so far. Bear in mind that it was cold and raining. Came back in approx 1 hour turned the key and it cranked once or twice them stated clicking (same as when the battery is flat). I tried this at least 4 or 5 times with no success. However, the battery was new and no warning light had been showing up over the whole trip, and the lights never went dull. By now it was dark and raining so I called the RACV; he arrived 1.5 hours later and jump-started it after one or two attempts. He thought the battery voltage was down (12.4 V) and the alternator wasn't charging ??. Next thing he orders a flat bed truck to take the car home for me. When the truck unloaded the car at home the driver thought we should try starting it again, and it started as if nothing was wrong. ( a bit embarrassing :blush: ). The battery appears to have been OK all along. BUT what happened ????? The only time that sort of thing has happened to me before in a previous car was when the power terminal on the starter solenoid came loose, easily fixed. I will check that in the daylight.

In the meantime has anyone had that experience, or have any suggestions as to the cause :help: , I can't be sure it won't happen again in a more inconvenient location.

• 1 month later...

Mine has the Same problem, 2000 conquest

had a similar problem once. it was the negative terminal not correctly tightened onto the post, like this it would not even jumpstart, check those and see how you go.