Cluster Upgrade

Squire

Gents,

So i haven't bought an Aurion yet, but I have been busy helping my dad, who just bought a light blue 07 Camry Ateva.

I am quite happy with the AT-X's levels of equipment and features, except for the cluster and its functions.

My questions are this: There are two types of cluster, yes? The ones in the AT-X, and the ones in the Sportivo/Presara etc

What are the functions the digital component of these clusters hold? Is it odo/trip/temp for the base and odo/trip/temp/fuel econ/avg speed for the high end cluster?

Can clusters be swapped with relative ease?

What would a secondhand high-end cluster cost?

Are they kays of the car kept in the cluster or stored elsewhere in the car's electrics?

Thanks for your help in advance gents, sorry about all the Q's!

-Squire.

For the same RRP you can get a touring ... which has the instrument panel you want. Only the AT-X has the lower spec part.

Your pretty right with knowing the functions. Most functions would work straight away, but you would have no means of changing what is displayed, as the other models have a button on the steering wheel (plus a series resistor which you have to match), which you would want.

In the repair manual that dealers have, from memory, it suggests you remove the steering wheel. But I remember being able to remove one without doing that (but think I did remove the steering column cover).

Not sure about cost sorry. But if you can get a touring for the same price then it will cost nothing ...

The odometer (km) is stored in this part. Check your state government regulations, as you may need to have someone who is certified to put a sticker in the front of the owners manual to record the km of both combination meters at the time of exchange. Otherwise you can get in trouble for winding the odometer forward or backward (imagine calling your insurer to make a claim and the km is less than their records, plus you failed to get it signed off). Please check.

The image below shows my testing of an AT-X wire harness (engine ECU not connected). The odometer reads the same as when in the vehicle.

imageerf.jpg

Good luck!

Edit: added pretty picture.

Edited by 450HP/tonne

oh boy! a picture paints a thousand words

thanks so much for your help 450HP/tonne. I think I will end up getting a touring/sx6/prodigy in that case, because fuel economy and avg speed functions would be relatively important to me, certainly in such a modern car.

thanks once again.

... because fuel economy and avg speed functions would be relatively important to me, certainly in such a modern car.

It's not hard to calculate your average fuel economy yourself though... and is more accurate. The average speed function is pretty much useless as well.

... because fuel economy and avg speed functions would be relatively important to me, certainly in such a modern car.

It's not hard to calculate your average fuel economy yourself though... and is more accurate. The average speed function is pretty much useless as well.

You're quite right DJKOR. I'm sorry for looking like a noob just because I'm new here, I am actually one of the old stalwarts of the ford forums.

You're quite right DJKOR. I'm sorry for looking like a noob just because I'm new here, I am actually one of the old stalwarts of the ford forums.

Nothing wrong with the question in the first place. I'm pretty much just saying that for the cost and potential difficulty in getting the Sportivo cluster to work (in the event that the wiring harness is slightly different) it will probably not be worth it for the additional features that the cluster has. Basically it's just looks.

Nothing wrong with the question in the first place. I'm pretty much just saying that for the cost and potential difficulty in getting the Sportivo cluster to work (in the event that the wiring harness is slightly different) it will probably not be worth it for the additional features that the cluster has. Basically it's just looks.

The oil pressure wire changed colour with facelift, but other than that all the other pins are the same, accept the display button input. The AT-X does not have the display button wire in the connector.

Probably of bigger concern is what the combination meter gets over CAN. As the body ECU is a different part number, With additional features (park sensors and certification ECU for example on various grades) who knows what will happen?

• 1 year later...

Isn't 99% of what we do to our vehicles basically all about 'the looks' :-)

I'm considering doing the same 'conversion' to my AT-X as I think the Sportivo dash just looks like 'sex on a stick' ... later on I'll try & get the steering wheel switch set up to enable those additional functions to actually work !

Yeah I have done 4 hour stretches on the highway with cruise control set at 110 kmph and the cluster computer will say my average speed was anything from 89 to 95kmph, also the outside temp can be affected if you park the car in the sun or if the engine is hot and you park to go somwhere then get back in a bit later like well within an hour and the outside temp will be high, think it's just heat transfering through the metal in the body to wherever the sensor is located.