HELP!!

Alanns

Hey there, i just turned 16 a few weeks ago and current i have saved up $5000. My dad has offered to put in an extra $11,000 for the purchase of my new car

I am looking at buying a Toyota MR2 Spyder.

I have a few questions and im wondering if you guys could help me on answering them.

1. How reliable are the mr2 spyders?

2. Are aftermarket parts hard to find in australia for them?

3. I am looking at getting a replica or genuine Veilside Widebody for the car, but i have no idea where to find it..

4. How much would a custom clutch cost for the mr2?

and last is it possible to find a hardtop for the mr2, if not than where can i buy the softop?

Cheers Guys =]

Okie dokie:

1: Should be very reliable, I haven't heard of anything that stands out in the newer MR2s.

2: Dunno.

3: Good luck finding one, FYI it'll cost a lot. Cheap replicas will require more work to get them fitted well (so more $$$)

4: A lot (why bother getting a custom one?)

Yes there is a hard top, genuine hard tops are very very rare and sought after, so you'll pay a premium IF you can find one.

My suggestion: If your in a state that doesn't have P plate restrictions on turbos, get a older MR2 turbo (SW20 with a 3S-GTE), oodles more power. The newer ones have econobox 1ZZ-GE engines. If you have restrictions, get a 7th gen (2000+) Celica or a Corolla Sportivo.

Don't even think of getting a auto MR2 Spyder, one of the worst gearboxes ever sold :P

Well i found a MR2 http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8732860&ref=Item&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294962861%204294962177%204294925562&__Nne=15

Already fitted with the bodykit. The thing is .. i really hate the bloody transmission. i heard it lags from 1 - 2 seconds

which is a real bummer.

You guys know anything bout the Direct Shift Gearboxes?

I like the look of this car so much .. but in the future im gonna be using for the track as well.

I like the look of it too

A mate of mine has the MRS (JDM version) and had the 1ZZ but swapped it for a 2ZZ and he absolutely loves it.

And if your looking to do track work with it, its not a bad swap.

Not really sure if the parts are difficult to source but with that 2ZZ engine it goes hard especially as its a midship RWD.

Also i saw a review of Best Motoring with the 1ZZ MRS but with the sequential auto and they said it handled well but the 1ZZ engine + that gearbox was quite bad, not so much the engine but the gearbox.

Anyway, Good luck with the buy.

I would advise you to go for a 2003 onwards model. apparently 2002 and below models have the precat problem. I've got an 02 mr2 and i havent had any issue with the precats (maybe they were already removed when i purchased it?)

but yea, 03 looks better, various exterior changes.

There is a seller who sells the veiside bodykit for around 1400 on ebay. he recently hasn't been listing... but imo, you should just get one that has it already on.

if you're looking to switch it to a true manual... look for an mr-s that way you won't have any problems with installation etc.

SMT is alright, downshifts are fast up shifts sometimes are slow which can get annoying but generally, it's only from gear 1 -> 2 that it's slow.

the softtop is prefitted on all mr2's. the hardtop is an add on. there are heaps of hardtops available on spyderchat. mikev on spyderchat is selling them from around 2.7k shipped and painted.

the UK have some pretty cheap hardtops but the shipping and customs isn't really worth it.

Cheers man . that post really helped.

I cant seem to find many mr2's with Veilsides already on it so can u give me the name of the

Ebay seller selling it? i got a quot for 2.5k for the kit in Perth

You got email? so i can contact u for help, getting it in 1 - 2 weeks

Edited by Alanns

Cheers man . that post really helped.

I cant seem to find many mr2's with Veilsides already on it so can u give me the name of the

Ebay seller selling it? i got a quot for 2.5k for the kit in Perth

You got email? so i can contact u for help, getting it in 1 - 2 weeks

Just one thing I would like to mention is make sure you test drive the car before you buy. I take it you are still on your learners if so i would recommend you wait till you are on your p plates so you can definitely make sure the spyder is right for you by test driving the vehicle yourself.

Spyder’s reliability should be exceptional in regards to the engine haven’t heard any complaints about the spyders 1zz-fe engine. Not to sure about the gearbox.

Make sure you search the market hard to make sure you find the vehicle right for you. There are still PLENTY of fast fun cars that are p plate legal, like the lotus exige if you live in qld ;):P.

Best of luck with finding your ride and the upcoming p plate test.

Dave

add me on msn if you got it. simon.tuong@hotmail.com otherwise you can juts email me.

boy would i love an exige or elise. it's pretty much an mr2 with better looks, performance and handling. some people think its ugly... but it probably drives almost like a supercar and has the looks of one as well. only thing is, you'll need the extra cash.

Edited by fattyman

• 2 months later...

Hi

Are you still looking for a Spyder?

Im considering selling mine.

Can send pictures if you are keen

Also, dont worry about that comment regarding precats. If it was an issue, Toyota would have done a recall plus practically and logically, the engine blows air out of the exhaust so it would be rather hard to suck air in.

I have address this issue directly with Neil Bates and he said that some people are paranoid and if it has happened to someone before, It's because they have dont too many mods to their car hence the engine problems

Family related reasons so have to sell as a 2 seater car is not practical anymore for us

Edited by chewbacca888