e10 unleaded petrol on old cars

EK1

just wondering is it okay to run E10 unleaded on an old car such as a 1989 EFI camry or would it damage the engine? if so what part(S) of the engine would e10 unleaded damage. thanks

Edited by EK1

just wondering is it okay to run E10 unleaded on an old car such as a 1989 EFI camry or would it damage the engine? if so what part(S) of the engine would e10 unleaded damage. thanks

with petrol prices so low, seriously why bother with e10?

just put RON95 its better for the car - performance and effiency

edit: AND its going to cost you like an extra $4 at the pump which I guarentee will be cheaper in the long run that filling up with e10

Edited by addy287

Some really good comments in todays Daily Telegraph - Motoring Section, in Smithies section where motorist can write in to ask a question or make comment. Some really good comments by owners who have used E10 in various makes of cars. Basically they tried it, and now only use 95 ron or above so to continue happy motoring.

Ozz

"just put RON95 its better for the car - performance and effiency"

just wondering what is the RON rating for ULP, PULP and SPULP. is it 91 ,95 and 98?

Yea, RON just stands for Research Octane Number. Its just more commonly referred to as octane.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they are phasing out 91ULP altogether in NSW. So your options will be E10; which is RON95, Premium Unleaded; which is RON95 aswell and Ultra Premium; which is RON98.

Hope that helps.

"just put RON95 its better for the car - performance and effiency"

just wondering what is the RON rating for ULP, PULP and SPULP. is it 91 ,95 and 98?

Yea, RON just stands for Research Octane Number. Its just more commonly referred to as octane.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they are phasing out 91ULP altogether in NSW. So your options will be E10; which is RON95, Premium Unleaded; which is RON95 aswell and Ultra Premium; which is RON98.

Hope that helps.

As far as I know. NSW is the only State at the moment phasing out 91 ULP, replaced by E10. Could be an agreement with Federal Govt. so to get more money to waste.

Ozz

The phasing out of ULP 91 in NSW is being pushed by the NSW State Government. The Government there is trying to encourage increased use of biofuels.

The cost to fill E10 may be cheaper than regular ULP and PULP, but I have read in some cases it can increase fuel consumption by up to 10 per cent. I had someone try and tell me that in his car, he gets better mileage on E10, but the statistics say otherwise.

I read a letter in "Ask Smithy" last weekend regarding E10 and his response was to stick with PULP until more information is available regarding the long term effects of E10 on engines and fuel systems.

Based on Melbourne prices this weekend, here is a comparison of fill costs for 40 litres:

E10:

$1.229 x 40L = $49.16

ULP 91:

$1.259 x 40L = $50.36

ULP 95:

$1.349 x 40L = $53.96

ULP 98:

$1.399 x 40L = $55.96

As said, for peace of mind, just pay the extra $4.80 for PULP.

Edited by JMacca53

low??? either you're very young and has only being driving a short while, or you have very short memory :)

i still missed those days when it was only about 60C per litre :)

anyway i'm against E10 too. i read an article in the net where a servo storage tank's service guy said it is very difficult to keep moisture out of the tank. and if the fuel is comtaminated, it'll ruin your engine for sure. apparently E10 absorb moisture readily because of the ethanol content. read some of these links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ethanol+fuel+safe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BpW&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=ethanol+fuel+moisture&aq=f&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=6f32b8af52b7e0b8

low??? either you're very young and has only being driving a short while, or you have very short memory :)

i still missed those days when it was only about 60C per litre :)

anyway i'm against E10 too. i read an article in the net where a servo storage tank's service guy said it is very difficult to keep moisture out of the tank. and if the fuel is comtaminated, it'll ruin your engine for sure. apparently E10 absorb moisture readily because of the ethanol content. read some of these links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ethanol+fuel+safe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BpW&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=ethanol+fuel+moisture&aq=f&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=6f32b8af52b7e0b8

I might be giving my age away here, but it was 20 cents a Gallon when I first started driving. You had the choice of petrol or diesel, no in between stuff.

Ozz