Buying a used Hilux

Revolver

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a used dual cab ute and every tradie mate I've got has steered me towards the hilux, so I found my way here to seek some more targeted advice.

I only need it for beater duties, so it doesn't need to be flash. Budget is $10k or under, so I'm after a cheapie that will be reliable and get the job done.

It doesn't need to be 4wd but that wouldn't hurt if one popped up at the right price.

Which model hilux do you think I should be looking at? Any lemon models or years to avoid? Is diesel the way to go? Auto trannies ok or is manual a better option in the older models?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but only just getting my feet wet with this kind of vehicle and still have much to learn.

Look forward to reading your suggestions...

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a used dual cab ute and every tradie mate I've got has steered me towards the hilux, so I found my way here to seek some more targeted advice.

I only need it for beater duties, so it doesn't need to be flash. Budget is $10k or under, so I'm after a cheapie that will be reliable and get the job done.

It doesn't need to be 4wd but that wouldn't hurt if one popped up at the right price.

Which model hilux do you think I should be looking at? Any lemon models or years to avoid? Is diesel the way to go? Auto trannies ok or is manual a better option in the older models?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but only just getting my feet wet with this kind of vehicle and still have much to learn.

Look forward to reading your suggestions...

I'd be looking towards a 2WD 4cyl petrol in as late a model as you can. Maybe something like this:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=9189586&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=45&__N=1216 1282 4294962861 4294962537 408&silo=1011&PriceTo=408&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=352&__sid=11CF9FDA3A4B

The older 4x4's are good trucks too, I used to have a 1987 4x4 dual cab, but the diesels are old clunkers, reliable but expensive to rebuild. There are heaps around too with Commodore V6 conversions. This one causght my eye when I did a quick search.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=9288848&__Qpb=true&Cr=3&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=45&__N=1216 1282 4294962861 4294962537 408&silo=1011&PriceTo=408&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=352&__sid=11CF9FDA3A4B

It's all condition dependant at that age too.

You might find something like this would be a more reliable car (due to age) and cheaper for bits, and with a small bit of negotiation could be below $10k:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=9214918&__Qpb=true&Cr=14&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=15&__N=1216 1282 4294965857 4294964828 410&silo=1011&PriceTo=410&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=31&__sid=11CF9FDA3A4B

Thanks very much for that. I'd looked in drive.com.au but hadn't checked carsales yet.

The crewman idea might be a good one but having owned holdens and fords before I'm a bit leery about buying one more than 5 years old - I found they tend to fall apart after a while.

Anyone else out there with some hilux or other advice?

for that amount of money mate ull be looking at about an 00 to 03 model id think.

if they are 4wd, ask how much 4wding has been done and more importantly beach driving. as thats the killer for any 4wds as alot of people dont wash them down after.

other than that mate they are pretty fail safe.

with good maintance the diesel will last 800,000. so if you can get some of them ud be laughing. the 2.7 is also a good motor but doesnt last anywhere near as long as the lazy 3.0 diesel