engine noise

tekkyy

My 2008 build Aurion has this engine noise that can be noticed in the cabin.

You can hear it when idling, in park or drive. I think it wasn't there before.

I compared it to my workmates's 2009 build Aurion and it doesn't have it.

The noise seems to come from far left corner of the engine when looking from the front of the car.

Somewhere to the side or buttom of the engine.

photo0205s.jpg

Its a low frequeny noise at about 3 times a second.

The sound is there cold and warm.

So I took a video after driving 22kms home.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ihsma35szgsf11i

You gotta put the volume up to hear it.

If its not apparent I can take another video with the mouth piece of the phone faced down just for the sound.

Edited by tekkyy

That sounds completely normal to me. My last Aurion made the same sound (I think I know the one you are referring to), and my TRD does as well if you manage to listen carefully over the rattling of the supercharger.

I don't know enough about the workings of these engines to determine what it is, but it's something that is not just limited to yours.

I think I know which sound you are talking about in the video. There is that weird whistling sound. I'll have a listen to my engine to see if I get the noise and report back.

I was thinking it was more of the quiet diesel tractor engine type of sound... lower in frequency as mentioned.

There are just so many things on this engine that makes all kinds of noises. You have the VVT-i controllers, VVT-i solenoids, the PCV VSV (on the right side of the engine.. makes a pulsating hissing sound), then you have the engine in general. What ever happened to simplicity.

When you consider though what is going on inside the engine in a single combustion cycle, then multiply this into how many times it goes per second, the sounds you hear are nothing out of the ordinary. Every engine is different and some make noises that others don't... even under perfectly normal operation.

I think I know which sound you are talking about in the video. There is that weird whistling sound. I'll have a listen to my engine to see if I get the noise and report back.

I was thinking it was more of the quiet diesel tractor engine type of sound... lower in frequency as mentioned.

There are just so many things on this engine that makes all kinds of noises. You have the VVT-i controllers, VVT-i solenoids, the PCV VSV (on the right side of the engine.. makes a pulsating hissing sound), then you have the engine in general. What ever happened to simplicity.

When you consider though what is going on inside the engine in a single combustion cycle, then multiply this into how many times it goes per second, the sounds you hear are nothing out of the ordinary. Every engine is different and some make noises that others don't... even under perfectly normal operation.

I have that tractor sound as well. The engine in the Aurion is not very quiet. Best example would be our family friends Nissan Maxima. Even on a cold start the engine is dead quiet, and when its warmed up and they drive away it's like a Hybrid. No noise what so ever, just tyre noise! Big difference from Aurion.

Anyway, that tractor sound is usually noticeable when my engine is cold, once its warmed up the engine can be quite quiet. But I do hear that whistling sound in the background, something I have not heard of yet in my car. Will have to listen to it.

thnx guys

yeah its the low freqency rattle

which gets drown out so you need to put up the volume and listen

it appears the cabin insulates against the other general engine noise better

yeah there is also that softer higher pitch whistling noise but that appears to come from the right of the engine

that noise is too soft to be heard from the cabin

i wasn't worried but would be nice if that low frequency rattle wasn't there

i still think aurion is pretty smooth