IGO 8 Map Updates

Bruster

If you want to update, you will have to do it the way which involves effort on your behalf. Open up Google and start looking. You may even end up getting the various parts from different sources. When I compiled the last update before links to Austech (http://www.austech.info) were published, it took me about 3 hours and about 5 different downloads to get the right updated files.

If you want to update, you will have to do it the way which involves effort on your behalf. Open up Google and start looking. You may even end up getting the various parts from different sources. When I compiled the last update before links to Austech (http://www.austech.info) were published, it took me about 3 hours and about 5 different downloads to get the right updated files.

it does sound like a bit of effort, my last portable garmin was a piece of cake.

So when you say downloaded did you uploaded it to the SD card or did you enter it manually?

This thread on austech is a good start.

http://www.austech.info/igo/33277-ultimate-new-igo8-thread-hollowman-feb-2010-a.html

it does sound like a bit of effort, my last portable garmin was a piece of cake.

Yeah... but the software used on that device was licensed and paid for in the purchase of that device. One hte other hand, the iGO8 software that is supplied with these Chinese GPS units are actually pirated copies.

So when you say downloaded did you uploaded it to the SD card or did you enter it manually?

You download the iGO8 software files, then the additional maps, terrain, buildings, POI's etc, then compile it all together (place them into the appropriate folders), and copy it across to your SD card.

I think there is a newer version than what is listed there. The thing is, I've noticed that every time a new map release comes out, they update the software files as well, so you usually need to download everything all over again appropriate to the version you are getting. That thread is a little on the outdated side of things.

Yeah... but the software used on that device was licensed and paid for in the purchase of that device. One hte other hand, the iGO8 software that is supplied with these Chinese GPS units are actually pirated copies.

You download the iGO8 software files, then the additional maps, terrain, buildings, POI's etc, then compile it all together (place them into the appropriate folders), and copy it across to your SD card.

I think there is a newer version than what is listed there. The thing is, I've noticed that every time a new map release comes out, they update the software files as well, so you usually need to download everything all over again appropriate to the version you are getting. That thread is a little on the outdated side of things.

yeah I found a newer version (since i want new maps for mine)

http://www.fixmygps.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=771

IDK if those are any good, they are downloading now.

yeah I found a newer version (since i want new maps for mine)

http://www.fixmygps.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=771

IDK if those are any good, they are downloading now.

Thanks for that Mick. Saved me from doing a Google search :lol:

Edit: Rapidshare is being a c*** as always. Back to the drawing board for me.

the map worked fine with my igo install, not sure if it has the clem 7/gbb on it though

EDIT: will upload for you big D.

All good Mick... I'm onto another site at the moment. I shall go for a test drive after, LOL.

Finding the map updates are so much easier than it used to be. I guess the increase in these crappy head units has increased the people posting for this stuff.

the map worked fine with my igo install, not sure if it has the clem 7/gbb on it though

EDIT: will upload for you big D.

All good Mick... I'm onto another site at the moment. I shall go for a test drive after, LOL.

Finding the map updates are so much easier than it used to be. I guess the increase in these crappy head units has increased the people posting for this stuff.

meh, its uploading in the background, shal post the links if anyone one else wants them. Rapidshare is a cunt.

That and the fact that all the china-ass PND's use the same maps/etc helps too.

Well the first link worked (the Megaupload one) which was just the map file. Put this on my GPS, and it worked and it recognises it fine.

No Clem7 on it though and the end of the Centenary Highway down my end still has the roundabout in it.

Well the first link worked (the Megaupload one) which was just the map file. Put this on my GPS, and it worked and it recognises it fine.

No Clem7 on it though and the end of the Centenary Highway down my end still has the roundabout in it.

Shiit. that map was meant to be from aug 2010. Fucking iGO and its old ass maps. I would use tomtom if it wasnt such a cunt to crack.

Shiit. that map was meant to be from aug 2010. Fucking iGO and its old ass maps. I would use tomtom if it wasnt such a cunt to crack.

I found a copy of the third link there (the Rapidshare one) posted on Megaupload and got that as well. It was dated from March but is a larger file.

Still no luck with the roads on that one either. So not much of an update IMO. Personally, I preferred the maps from NAVTEQ rather than Whereis/Sensis, so hopefully they will have an update soon.

Well there you go guys. If you have iGO8 already and are wanting to update your maps to the latest (whether that means an update or not), get them while they are are still active. So for all you lazy bastards who can't be bothered doing a Google search like some of us:

Sensis/Whereis maps (thanks Mick):

iGO 8.3.x & Primo Australia Map Sensis R17 (12 Aug 2010)

or if you prefer the NAVTEQ maps:

iGO8.3.x, 8.4.x and 8.5.x NAVTEQ 2010Q2 Map!

It is still downloading the NAVTEQ ones now (crappy Rapidshare) and I will edit this post with details on if it contains the Clem7 and Centenary Highway adjustments. Not useful for many, but it is a good indication of how updated the maps are.

Edit: The NAVTEQ maps do contain the Clem 7 and the rebuilt Centenary Highway/Ipswich Motorway overpass. Definitely more updated.

Well there you go guys. If you have iGO8 already and are wanting to update your maps to the latest (whether that means an update or not), get them while they are are still active. So for all you lazy bastards who can't be bothered doing a Google search like some of us:

It is still downloading the NAVTEQ ones now (crappy Rapidshare) and I will edit this post with details on if it contains the Clem7 and Centenary Highway adjustments. Not useful for many, but it is a good indication of how updated the maps are.

I managed to get tomtom going on mine, the 855.2883 maps have the clem 7, etc in them...

download the full pack here (inc. navcore)

http://mickwheelz.net/TomTomPack.zip

Step 1.

Unzip the pack to the root directory of your SD Card.

Step 2.

Set the navigation .exe to SDCARD\TomTom Navigator\TomTom Navigator.exe

Step 3.

Run tomtom and follow the setup wizard, it will then tell you the map is not activated

Step 4.

Plug the gps back into the pc and run the Fast Activation tool thats on your SD (FastActivate.exe)

Step 5.

update the meta file, then activate the map.

You should now be good to go.

Thanks mate - Did it contain the Clem7 / Centenary HWY adjusts? If not, do you still think the maps themselves are an update as such?

Dunno which to choose - Sensis/Whereis or Navteq(??).. What the diff's???

Is there a way to check what kind one is currently running? All I know if I have iGo 8.? (have to go and check.. 8.3 rings a bell but)

Thanks

Thanks mate - Did it contain the Clem7 / Centenary HWY adjusts? If not, do you still think the maps themselves are an update as such?

Dunno which to choose - Sensis/Whereis or Navteq(??).. What the diff's???

Is there a way to check what kind one is currently running? All I know if I have iGo 8.? (have to go and check.. 8.3 rings a bell but)

FFS. Personally, ask a question that hurried again and you are not getting an answer at all. Look at when I posted it and you had only given me 6 hours since... and that was after midnight on a Sunday.

/rant

Personally, choose whichever map you want. You probably have to experiment with both to see which one suits you better. One may contain things that the other doesn't and vice-versa. You tell me if you think they are updated. If they aren't, then why would they release another revision?

To find out what maps you are running, go to Menu -> Settings -> About -> Maps

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. Good finds here. Downloaded the tomtom map lastnight. Only one which had a decent download speed! Probs try to update my gps over the weekend

Thanks mick and DJ!

I just installed TomTom onto my unit (I'm not a fan of TomTom except on my mobile because I like the look of iGO8 better), but I figured I may as well try it out. Works perfect in terms of the software install... thanks Mick. Just one thing that the owners of the autome305 unit need to pay attention to (maybe others as well).

When you set up your GPS receiver, you need to select 'Other NMEA Receiver' (or whatever... it has NMEA in it :lol:), and select a baud rate of '9600' and connected to 'Serial on COM 2'.

Sweet. Ill make a note of that. Thanks once again DJ!

I hope your results are better than mine. As I was driving down the road, I had the map lock up every couple of minutes (as in your position just sticks in one place despite the fact you are moving). The only way to clear it was to tap the map to bring up the menu then press back to get back to the map screen where it would then show your current position.

Sweet. Ill make a note of that. Thanks once again DJ!

I hope your results are better than mine. As I was driving down the road, I had the map lock up every couple of minutes (as in your position just sticks in one place despite the fact you are moving). The only way to clear it was to tap the map to bring up the menu then press back to get back to the map screen where it would then show your current position.

What version of wince does yours run? My china ***** gps runs CE 5 and it works fine, might not work so well on CE 6 though

Just installed the software for my gps for the tomtom program. No problems at all regarding software installation, however i ran into the same problems as dj when i just went for a little drive. The screen kept freezing and was rectified by tapping in and out as dj suggested.

Other little things i noticed is i actually liked the igo gps as it finished off my suggestions. eg, if i pressed M, E and then L for example, melbourne would come up. Really useful when your in a rush. Only needed to type in a few letters and bam it comes up.

One thing i also liked about the igo8 gps for example was this;

say for example i entered deer park as my suburb. And ballarat road as my street. Ballarat road runs through about 10 different suburbs ranging from house numbers from 1-only god knows what. One thing that i liked is if the house number didnt correspond with the suburb the street ran through, then it wouldnt register. Not sure if this was applicable with the tomtom program however.

PERSONALLY, i like the set up of the igo better than the tomtom. maybe i havent warmed up to it as of it, but because of that problem me and dj encountered i just put back my old igo gps. too bad the updated igo gps links above has very very very slowl download speeds :(

Edited by private number

Just installed the software for my gps for the tomtom program. No problems at all regarding software installation, however i ran into the same problems as dj when i just went for a little drive. The screen kept freezing and was rectified by tapping in and out as dj suggested.

Other little things i noticed is i actually liked the igo gps as it finished off my suggestions. eg, if i pressed M, E and then L for example, melbourne would come up. Really useful when your in a rush. Only needed to type in a few letters and bam it comes up.

One thing i also liked about the igo8 gps for example was this;

say for example i entered deer park as my suburb. And ballarat road as my street. Ballarat road runs through about 10 different suburbs ranging from house numbers from 1-only god knows what. One thing that i liked is if the house number didnt correspond with the suburb the street ran through, then it wouldnt register. Not sure if this was applicable with the tomtom program however.

PERSONALLY, i like the set up of the igo better than the tomtom. maybe i havent warmed up to it as of it, but because of that problem me and dj encountered i just put back my old igo gps. too bad the updated igo gps links above has very very very slowl download speeds :(

If you can wait till tonite i will package up iGO8 + latest aust maps, as well as iGO Primo + latest aus maps and upload em.