Oil Filter Wrench

lmk7

Hey guys,

I've been reading all the posts regarding oil changes and was just wondering if the oil filter wrench is necessary. My last car, which also happened to be my first, just required a good hard twist, but that was with the conventional filter. The reason i ask is 'cause i'm hoping to get the job out of the way tomorrow morning... I don't want to start the job and the realise I have to order the proper wrench.

Thanks for your help!

...My bad, found the answer in another post.

Edited by lmk7

Hard to say mate because mine came off without the filter wrench, so I pretty much spent $40 on the wrench for nothing. If your cap is tight like mine and won't come off the socket wrench will do the job. But if your cap does come off first you would need to wrench to then remove the filter housing.

edit: What I would do, is call Toyota and ask them that if you DO NOT need to use the wrench after buying it that if you can return it to get your money back.

Because if you don't have it and you start the oil change your in trouble if you end up needing the wrench. But if you didn't end up needing it you take it back to Toyota for a refund.

OR, do what I did and just keep it anyway and hopefully one day it will come in handy.

Edited by Silver-Aurion

All I can say is that you need to think outside the box. I have done about 5 oil changes and not once have I used the cap style oil filter wrench. No damage or marks made to the oil filter cap either.

Sorry though, but I can't disclose what I do as it's not 'responsible' advice. My official recommendation is to use the proper tool.

All I can say is that you need to think outside the box. I have done about 5 oil changes and not once have I used the cap style oil filter wrench. No damage or marks made to the oil filter cap either.

Sorry though, but I can't disclose what I do as it's not 'responsible' advice. My official recommendation is to use the proper tool.

I actually thought about this when changing my filter because you keep saying that you won't tell us. The closest I can think of would be a hammer and screw driver of some sort and hit the filter housing on the two sides that stick out until it is loose enough to unscrew by hand.

As shown here:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/zomgunique/Car/photo-2.jpg

:ph34r:

Edited by Silver-Aurion

The hammer and driver methods one ive used on a heap of cars that have had tight filters but if you don;t have much experience removing oil filters dont go this route. Other things i have had great success with are using latex gloves as they stick to the filter so you can get a good grip on it. Ive never used a filter wrench as i started learning on a 4AG which is just about impossible to use a wrench on.