Dumb but necessary question...

ganyb

Hi All, just a quick one.

Have moved from my Izz to a Zre....question is.. is the oil filter the same?? ( I have four leftover from the Izz ), and is the sump plug washer the same too (hope so, I've got 12 leftover..!! )??...

Thanks in advance...

according to ryco they are the same if its a 07-09 ZRE... but it lists a different part no. for 09+ ZRE's

The sump plug should be the same (14mm) but check it with a socket/spanner

according to ryco they are the same if its a 07-09 ZRE... but it lists a different part no. for 09+ ZRE's

The sump plug should be the same (14mm) but check it with a socket/spanner

zre-154 is different from zre-152

I have posted the assemble map of both cars in this forum, you can search "assemble map"

When I service my car, which is zre-154, I have to buy the filter from Toyota and asked someone to change it..

The oil is filter is different because according to the guy in toyota that sold that oil filter to me, it is more environmentally friendly..

I am suprised because I paid $20 to get a paper oil filter !!

It is like a cyclone paper filter..

Edited by ben yip

Thanks for your help guys...but now I'm a bit confused..

I'm sort of understanding that the '10 ZRE's have a spin-off canister, inside of which is a replaceable paper filter element ??

..do I then just spin off the canister, pull out the dirty paper element, clean the canister, put in the new paper filter and spin it back on..??

..the pommy cars in the 60s used that system .!!

...just wondering

Thanks for your help guys...but now I'm a bit confused..

I'm sort of understanding that the '10 ZRE's have a spin-off canister, inside of which is a replaceable paper filter element ??

..do I then just spin off the canister, pull out the dirty paper element, clean the canister, put in the new paper filter and spin it back on..??

...just wondering

The picture is as follows

http://www.megazip.ru/ru/auto/toyota/view/399/3559/38369/355939#g355750

I think there are instructions at the back of the box, if u dun know, ask the guy who sold the part to you.. You cannot get aftermarket oil filter for this model at the moment

...just wondering

As old as the idea is, I actually think it is a neat concept. With the provision of a drain plug on the filter cap itself, you can remove it with minimal oil spill.

post-54-12874765341_thumb.png...thanks again for that, and yes it used to be a neat system ( the Morris Minor used it..!)

but the spin off filter has always been a no brainer to use, and having worked in the industry for way too long (years ago),

I know how easy it is to NOT change the filter (just clean the outside) and that's $20 profit on every job, and you'd never EVER know it hadn't been changed...dont laugh, this was a very common occurence.

With this ZRE154 system you'd never be able to check if the filter'd been changed ( I used to UV mark my old spin-offs).

Ben, thanks for the link, it does indeed confirm the paper insert theory to be correct...

post-54-12874765341_thumb.png...thanks again for that, and yes it used to be a neat system ( the Morris Minor used it..!)

but the spin off filter has always been a no brainer to use, and having worked in the industry for way too long (years ago),

I know how easy it is to NOT change the filter (just clean the outside) and that's $20 profit on every job, and you'd never EVER know it hadn't been changed...dont laugh, this was a very common occurence.

With this ZRE154 system you'd never be able to check if the filter'd been changed ( I used to UV mark my old spin-offs).

Ben, thanks for the link, it does indeed confirm the paper insert theory to be correct...

Just also let u know that when I bring this filter to the local mechanic, he asked me "Are you sure you bought the correct oil filter". I replied "Yes, there are instructions inside the filter, just follow it"

You can ask the local mechanic to keep the dirty paper filter so that you know it has been changed. That mechanic reaction told me that he did not c this kind of oil filter before

For your reference, below is the Zre-151 oil filter

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_2007_TOYOTA_COROLLA_ZRE151L-GEMNKC_1502.html

You can also see the other parts of the vehicle in this link

Edited by ben yip