Window Tint

glenshkolar

Hey guys,

I have organised for the two front windows to be tinted the same as the factory rear windows...and I was advised the rear windows are only privacy tint, not UV protected. I have been told of a 'clear' UV window film that can be placed onto the rear windows to provide the UV protection, which will help protect the people and the life of the interior.

I also spoke to a friend who had this clear UV tint put on some of his house windows...and after 5 years when he went to wash the curtins, he found the ones whcih were not protected by the UV clear tint fell apart and the others were fine.

Not sure if anyone else investing in this?

To what percentage are they doing the front two wind ups? Also any mention of cost for the clear UV film?

Hi,

I don't know the technical details other than they are matching the front window tint to the rear (identintical) and understand it's slightly over the legal limit in the ACT. The total cost for the front windows and rear windows (clear) is $350.00.

Interesting thread here most notably the bit below.

3) the car come with dark color window, but the dealer told me they don't know how much UV protection it come with, and they don't know how to find the info.

If they made a simple call to the technical people at head office would have told them this..... but, it wouldn't have made them $$ telling you this information as I said, they can't make their money selling your "clear" tint. Like wearing clothes made of invisible cotton and people would pay for it...

(1) Windshield

Colour Glass : Green

Type : Laminated

UV Cut Rate : 99 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 47.8 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 78.9 %

(2) Sliding Roof

Colour Glass : Gray

Type : Tempered

UV Cut Rate : 95.4 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 18.9 %

(3) Front Door

Colour Glass : Green

UV Cut Rate : 91.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 55.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 72.8 %

(4) Rear Door Privacy

Colour Glass : Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 96.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 82.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 20.8 %

(5) Rear Quarter Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 90.2 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 23.6 %

(6) Back Door Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 95.9 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 89.6 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 11.1 %

The brochure stats

"UV cut side & rear windows"

What that means I'm not sure.

This is correct as most automotive glass does in fact block UV light. That said, there are some things to understand.

Automotive glass in most modern cases can block up to about 95-97% of UV-B light. This is the majority of the UV light that can cause sunburn/cancer etc. As well, it also blocks a smaller percentage of UV-A light at about 35% or so. UV-A light can contribute towards skin cancer etc, but it is the UV-B that is said to cause the most effects. UV-A has been said to cause it's effects due to penetrating the skin more, but not via direct damage like sunburn. I'm not here to question all that... you can research that further if you want.

Getting a window tint that is mean to block UV light should hopefully block the UV-A light transmission even further (effectively blocking as much as UV-B). The quality and specification of the film though will determine how much of this it does block.

I'm putting tint on the front 2 windows of my Kluger.

Sales guy said the privacy tint on all other windows was a film (not coloured glass) and offers high UV protection. I haven't validated this though, but it better!!!

Sales guy said the privacy tint on all other windows was a film (not coloured glass) and offers high UV protection. I haven't validated this though, but it better!!!

I understood the privacy glass is actual coloured glass (either with or without UV protection depending on what you read), not film. I can't believe there is so much inconsistency with what dealers say, unless it's in writing i tend to take everything with a pinch of salt if you know what I mean.

I understood the privacy glass is actual coloured glass (either with or without UV protection depending on what you read), not film. I can't believe there is so much inconsistency with what dealers say, unless it's in writing i tend to take everything with a pinch of salt if you know what I mean.

Yeah I agree.

The brochure says "UV cut side and rear windows", so that's not really helpful at all! How much does it cut UV, and how?!

I queried this with my Toyota dealer and recieved the following response:

"Uv cut glass is 99%uv protected. The Grande comes with the Privacy glass on the rear glass which is U/V and heat reduced.We are tinting the front 2 windows so all Glass will be 99% u/v 60% heat reduction &40% glare reduction."

I queried this with my Toyota dealer and recieved the following response:

"Uv cut glass is 99%uv protected. The Grande comes with the Privacy glass on the rear glass which is U/V and heat reduced.We are tinting the front 2 windows so all Glass will be 99% u/v 60% heat reduction &40% glare reduction."

Thanks, have amended the application to only the front windows.